10 Years of Allacrost - Initial Development (June 2004 - August 2004)

Submitted by Roots on Mon, 12/08/2014 - 09:51

    The first objectives for development of Allacrost were to do basic operations such as draw things to the screen and play sound and music files. I didn’t know it at the time, but I was writing a game engine from scratch. I wouldn’t even know what a “game engine” was until months down the road when we already had a primitive one in active use. The fact that Allacrost was built using a custom game engine is, in my mind, one of the most catastrophic errors that this team made in the early days. Designing and writing an engine from scratch, even for a moderately complex 2D game, requires an enormous amount of time and effort to do. Our engine is pretty nice and solid now after being worked on for so many years, but in the beginning it was pretty awful because we had no experience or idea about how a good engine design should function. A project like Allacrost should have used an existing engine from the beginning. We would be much, much further along in the game right now had we done so. The only positive benefit I feel we got out of it is that we gained a lot more software development experience than we would have otherwise. Of all of the time this team spent writing code for the first three years of this project, I’d estimate that we spent around 75-80% of it working on the engine.

    One of the first steps that we needed to take to build the game engine was to select which software libraries we would use. In the very beginning, our technological goals for the game were pretty limited and we decided to use SDL [1] for pretty much everything. Within a couple months, however, we found ourselves disappointed when we realized the limitations of SDL, especially in terms of graphics. Although we were only making a 2D game, we wanted to harness the power that a 3D graphics library could afford us for making special effects and other nice touches. I began learning OpenGL and after a few days of study, felt that it would be a much better idea to find a graphics programmer [2] with the sort of experience necessary to write us a 2D graphics engine. I think that was the correct call to make, as with my limited experience and knowledge, anything I made would have been much worse.

    Selecting the correct libraries to use is a very important step in creating a custom game engine. We carefully selecting each library that we chose to use, but we didn’t do enough research and ran into several problems. In the early days, we experienced a lot of grief resulting from some of our library selections. One of the first instances of this pain was with our audio engine. We switched back and forth between using SDL_Mixer (an extension of the SDL library) and OpenAL [3] a total of four times. Thankfully, the audio engine is relatively straightforward and didn’t take much more than a day or two to rewrite and test each time. We initially used SDL_Mixer because it was easy. We then switched to OpenAL because we wanted to use some of its more advanced features. There were some technical difficulties with that library (on Linux, at least) that eventually lead us to drop it and move back to SDL_Mixer for better reliability. We gave OpenAL another shot later and went back to the drawing board with a new engine design. We’ve had no problems with it since. It was frustrating and a poor use of our time. I’m not sure we could have avoided that hiccup though, as sometimes its hard to know whether or not a library works as good as it claims to on every supported platform. We would run into this issue with other libraries in the future. Below is one of the early UML designs I created while developing the first iteration of our audio engine. The UML of the same engine today is significantly more complex.

Needless to say, we reached the end of the summer of 2004 without much to show for it. We had the birthings of a pretty basic 2D engine, but not much in terms of game logic. There was still much, much more that remained to be done than what we had already accomplished. Reality began to set in for our team with regard to how difficult this project was going to be to pull off, and that it was going to take us much longer than we had hoped. Morale was still high and we were collectively learning and getting better every day. But by the end of August, we always felt like we were behind from where we should be. And that feeling still lingers around today.

Sources:
    [1] - SDL Library - http://www.libsdl.org
    [2] - Allacrost Forums - Recognizing the need for a graphics programmer
    [3] - OpenAL Library - http://www.openal.org/

Coming up next:

  • Creating a positive culture
  • How to find motivation without money
  • Recruiting team members

Forum Discussion Thread