Wiki is down

Here you may share your feedback on any of the online services we provide, or report technical issues that you may have encountered.

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Wiki is down

Postby Roots » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:24 am

So I just discovered tonight that our wiki no longer is functional. If you try to access it, you get a bunch of errors and warnings on the page instead of the content you wanted to see. I don't know how long it's been like this since there hasn't been anyone actively using it (to my knowledge) for 2-3 months. I'm going to look into what's going on here and fix it as soon as I can, hopefully within a week.
Roots
Dictator

Re: Wiki is down

Postby Roots » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:44 am

I'm still working on this. I upgraded our wiki software to the latest version, but I'm not having any luck getting it to work. I think I'm going to try a fresh install and see if I can get it up that way. We'll lose some extensions and things, but the wiki is in a pretty broken state anyway and at this point I just want something that works.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:45 am

The wiki is now back up! It took me quite some time to fix the problem and upgrade everything, but we should be good now. Some of our old extensions are no longer installed or enabled, but I'm not sure what impacts people will see, if anything, at this point. Some new extensions were also enabled. But the basics are working, and account creation is enabled. I may tweak the wiki a little more here and there (mostly to ensure we have adequate spam protection), but we shouldn't have any major issues with it anymore.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:21 am

As I suspected, the spammers are trashing the wiki. For now, I disabled account creation until I can find time to install and configure proper anti-spam measures.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:20 pm

Alright, wiki is fully available again. I deleted all the spam and spam users and installed our old counter-spam measures (which were working flawlessly before). I also changed the wiki skin back to what our original wiki looked liked (same skin as wikipedia), which has our logo on it.

I also enabled the ability for guest users to edit pages (they have to answer a captcha to save their changes). They do not have the permission to create new pages though. This should make it more convenient for people to contribute to the wiki since they don't need to create an account and login to make simple changes. :approve:

I don't anticipate needing to do any additional work on the wiki for a long time now, other than updating the wiki content itself of course.

Return to “Online Services”