Free sounds :)

Discuss and share compositions for the game here

Moderator: Staff

shizeet
Musician

Postby shizeet » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:47 pm

I actually found a pretty nice batch of grunts/pain/scream from the freesound site, though unfortunately misplaced it since.

The easiest way to "make them", however, is to record it ourselves, if anyone's interested in doing that :D.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:26 pm

Jetryl wrote:Somebody (not sure who) has been making or acquiring new sfx for wesnoth lately, but what we still (desperately) need is "human pain" noises.

That is, noises of people taking blows from enemy weapons. Noises of people doing a death cry (warcraft III is a great example for these) would also be nice. We currently have two complete hack jobs; one for male, and one for female, that play when someone takes a hit.

I imagine Allacrost could really use these as well, so if anyone has the resources to make them, please do.

You want human pain and death cries? I make those all throughout the day lately. :eyespin:

On a serious note though, if Wesnoth and Allacrost were to share SFX, I think that they should be mixed a little differently between the two so that they don't sound *exactly* the same. It sounds so cheap when you hear an unmodified SFX from one medium to the next. Good example: do you remember playing the original Command and Conquer game and the SFX that is played whenever an infantry unit gets hit with a flamethrower? That EXACT SFX was used in Star Wars Ep III (and I think at least one other movie I've seen as well). It just totally destroyed the experience.
Loodwig
Musician

Postby Loodwig » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:18 am

I think I mentioned that point in a post earlier. But if you want death cries, your non-serious suggestion isn't a poor one. You'd be surprised what a decent voice actor can do with a variety of screams (if he can keep from laughing) and some good mixing to go with. I'm pretty good at beating myself up, so I'll see what I can come up with.
"We want a simpler and more melodic style for music, a simple, less complicated emotional state, and dissonance again relegated to its proper place as one element of music..."
~Sergei Prokofiev
Roots
Dictator

Re: Free sounds :)

Postby Roots » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:47 pm

I moved this topic from the team-only to public forum. I have no idea why I didn't make it public originally.

-----

A few nights ago I decided to go on a raid to see if I could find any new sounds for us to use and I found a gold mine.

http://opengameart.org/browse/audio

Lots of great audio there, and art too of course. And its extremely well organized and easy to use which I love. I spent maybe 40 minutes going through pretty much every license-compatible sound they had on there and downloaded all the ones that I thought would be useful for Allacrost. Altogether there were about 150 or so I downloaded. Many of them are in archives and there are groups with numerous variations of the same type of sound (swosh-01.flac swosh-02.flac swosh-03.flac etc.). Most of them are in flac format as well.

Over the next several days I'm going to do the following.
  1. Listen to each sound file individually and note the good/useful ones I think we should add to Allacrost
  2. Convert file formats as appropriately (wav for short/small sounds, ogg for larger)
  3. Rename files to add as appropriate
  4. Add the authors of all sounds added into the "Extra Thanks" section of the game credits

I'm not going to add all ~150 files I have obviously, especially since there are so many variations for some (there are over 79 different sound variations for "leaves"). But we should get a fairly decent number of new sounds to use in the game when I'm through with this.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu May 26, 2011 6:21 pm

Regarding the post above, I never got around to going through all those sounds. I still have them downloaded and ready to go through on my backup harddrive, but unfortunately that disk has some formatting problems right now and I'm not able to get to them.

I did just find a sound pack that I really like.
http://www.opengameart.org/content/lizard-manalien

I'm immediately going to add some of these into the game. Particularly the one at the end I'm going to use as the sound of the scorpion boss that the player encounters in the cave map of the prologue. I think the first two I'll add as well, as they could be good attack sounds for enemies.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:27 am

http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comment ... ounds_for/

Found this on reddit tonight that lists some of the best resources for free game sounds. I added this link in the top post of this thread as well. We need to find quite a few different sounds for the release and I'm pretty confident that we can find all we need from existing sources without having to make our own. It's just a matter of identifying what we need and having someone go snooping for a free sound that fits (and crediting appropriately of course).
LittleRobotSfx

Postby LittleRobotSfx » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:34 pm

I've made a bunch of free sound libraries you can download from my site. Especially the voices sound library and the fantasy library might be useful.

www.littlerobotsoundfactory.com

Cheers,
Morten
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:58 pm

Awesome! Thank you very much for sharing. Are these sounds public domain? Under a Creative Commons or other license? I want to make sure we're using them and crediting your work properly.

Return to “Music”