Roots
Dictator

Free sounds :)

Postby Roots » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:39 am

16 Websites with Free Sounds for Game Developers

-----

I found this link from slashdot the other day:

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/

Over 10,000 sound files licenesed under the Creative Commons license, ripe for the picking. I think we could find a lot of the sounds we will need for Allacrost just off this site. :approve:

[[[EDIT]]]

Found another link:

http://www.findsounds.com/
Last edited by Roots on Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:49 am

Notable pack:

"Swooshing sounds" appropriate for missed attacks.

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/packsViewSingle.php?id=114

"Swords clashing"  - would need compression to eliminate the sting, but good sounds.

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/packsViewS ... 94&start=0
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:02 am

Nice find. :approve: The swords sound kinda puny and weak to me though, even if that is the sound of real swords clashing. :) Where did Wesnoth get its sounds from, out of curiousity?
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:27 am

Roots wrote:Nice find. :approve: The swords sound kinda puny and weak to me though, even if that is the sound of real swords clashing. :) Where did Wesnoth get its sounds from, out of curiousity?

Apparently, many of them came from Egoboo, a now-defunct OSS game.
http://egoboo.sourceforge.net/
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:26 am

Nature sounds. We already have a few sounds for this, but I'm sure there's more we can use on here. :)
http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/tagsViewSingle.php?id=107
Sylon
Artist

Postby Sylon » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:51 pm

It makes me feel like this game will be cheap if we take pre-recorded sounds from somewhere and use them!!

At LEAST get someone to DL these free sounds and then MIX them to something unique for us to use!!  Whaddya say?
-[Sylon Shanings]-, A Servant of Allacrost.
I owe my allegiance to Roots and only Roots! Hail to the dictator!

"DAD GUMMIT I NEEDA GET MY TORUS DOWN." - Sylon's art jabber
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:53 pm

Sylon wrote:It makes me feel like this game will be cheap if we take pre-recorded sounds from somewhere and use them!!

At LEAST get someone to DL these free sounds and then MIX them to something unique for us to use!!  Whaddya say?

Well yeah that's the general idea here. But its difficult for us to just create a good sound from scratch ya know? I don't think anyone here has a recording studio in the garage... :uhoh:
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:18 pm

Sylon wrote:It makes me feel like this game will be cheap if we take pre-recorded sounds from somewhere and use them!!

Quite contrary Sylon.  The effects that are created under creative commons deed will probably be better than anything we can come up with and saves us time in creating the perfect sound for the perfect situation, leaving us more time to be creative.  I think that objects under the creative commons deed are also fully alterable.
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

roos
Developer

Postby roos » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:03 pm

I definitely think we should use the free sounds as much as possible to save time, and get help later on in the project to create new sounds or improve upon existing ones.
Loodwig
Musician

Postby Loodwig » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:31 pm

At the very least, free sounds would make excellent placeholders.  I remark that most hollywood motion pictures and games use the same general sound bag for everything.  I mean, seriously, I was watching the crow, backdraft, mercury rising, and some cutscene from starcraft... same damn explosion sound.  Not to mention the cliche command and conquer scream I heard in starwars, clerks, and even in one of my own works (I don't know where I got the stock audio... but it was funny).

So yeah, if we can improve... all the better.  Making unique sound effects = very hard.  There is a reason LucasSound makes what it makes :)
"We want a simpler and more melodic style for music, a simple, less complicated emotional state, and dissonance again relegated to its proper place as one element of music..."
~Sergei Prokofiev
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:35 pm

Loodwig wrote:Not to mention the cliche command and conquer scream I heard in starwars

Ahaha, i remember hearing that! I was like "wtf, that's what happens when you use a flamethrower/flame tank on infantry in C&C!!!". :heh:

Anyway, I found another site, http://www.findsounds.com/ , which I also edited into the first post.

I definitely think we should use sounds that we can find across the net instead of creating our own from scratch. When the time comes, and sound becomes an imporant priority for us, I think we should seek out a sound mixer who can: a) find sounds on these two sites, b) re-mix them so they sound at least a little original/better. Last time I heard from hamiko was months ago in a status report and he said then that he might have to leave Allacrost because he got really busy. Since I haven't heard from him since, I'm assuming he's gone for good. :(
Sylon
Artist

Postby Sylon » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:10 pm

I made a sword slash sound using my mouth and a good ol' knife scraping on a knife sharpener.  Listen to it!

http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/syl ... ordHit.wav

It is a little light an maybe I can boost the bass with Audacity but we'll see.

Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:12 pm

Uhh, are you sure you didn't stab yourself or your sibling? I swear it sounds like it's cutting into flesh. :uhoh: Sounds pretty good though, I'm surprised! Yeah, I think pumping the bass a little will make it sound better.
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:44 pm

Yuck, that's disgusting :P

we need a puking smiley or something
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:45 pm

gorzuate wrote:Yuck, that's disgusting :P

we need a puking smiley or something

You're a forum admin. Go ahead and find us one and upload it. ;)
Sylon
Artist

Postby Sylon » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:47 am

See what I mean DAWG!  That's how we do it!  GHETTO style!

It's actually 3 different sound fx.  The first .2 seconds or so is my mouth going "ssssss", then it fades out and the knife slash comes in, then I went "PFFSHLSHSLHSLSHLS" with my mouth for the fleshy sound.

I love the FFT sword hit sound though.  Man that satisfies me thoroughly.  If I could make one similar to that....wow....

Glad ya like it.  Maybe we can find some kind of a use for it?  After I play with the bass I guess.

shizeet
Musician

Postby shizeet » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:06 am

Ooo, I really like that freesounds site - the samples there seem really nice, despite being free. Findsounds is more of a mixed bag, with unfortunately more crappy stuff mixed in with the good (probably because they only take non-compressed small files).
shizeet
Musician

Postby shizeet » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:09 am

By the way, came up upon this neat website with some tips about "foleying" sound fx :): http://www.crazydogaudiotheatre.com/sfx.php
Loodwig
Musician

Postby Loodwig » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:08 pm

sylon, that's just too damn cool. Now if only I can get my soprano to record with me (I'll get her in the studio this weekend, so we'll see).
"We want a simpler and more melodic style for music, a simple, less complicated emotional state, and dissonance again relegated to its proper place as one element of music..."
~Sergei Prokofiev
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:08 pm

Somebody (not sure who) has been making or acquiring new sfx for wesnoth lately, but what we still (desperately) need is "human pain" noises.

That is, noises of people taking blows from enemy weapons. Noises of people doing a death cry (warcraft III is a great example for these) would also be nice. We currently have two complete hack jobs; one for male, and one for female, that play when someone takes a hit.

I imagine Allacrost could really use these as well, so if anyone has the resources to make them, please do.

Return to “Music”