Sources of Inspiration

Discuss and share compositions for the game here

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Sources of Inspiration

Postby Roots » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:30 am

I'm making this thread so that everyone (not just the staff) can share samples of music that they think would be a great source of inspiration to our composer(s). If you have a song or a genre that you think would fit in well with the game, please share it with us here.

Now then, I would like to give out a couple samples of what I think is good battle music. I told Matt before that I want battle music that gets people 'pumped up', and that's exactly what these two songs do. They are both from the Initial D 4th stage soundtrack. The first one is entitled Dogfight and you can listen to the instrumental version here:

Dogfight

I think this would make a good battle song because it is high paced and heavy. I don't think the entire HoA soundtrack should be hard rock and roll of course, but I think it is appropriate for use in battle music. Don't you get pumped listening to this song? The only part that I would remove is the weird verb/vibe/whatever that sound is that makes things weird.

The second track I'd like to share is also instrumental and it is called Fall Into Doze.

Fall Into Doze

This song isn't as great as Dogfight because there are some slow parts to it. My favorite parts of the song are the 0:00-0:20, 1:05-1:25, and 2:45-3:05.

Well I hope I've given Matt and the rest of you an idea of what I'd like to hear in terms of battle music for this game. Let me know if you like or dislike the idea of having this type of music for battles (maybe it's more appropriate for boss music?). :approve:
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:48 am

i like 'em both, they're good :approve:
Star Pilot
Former Staff

Postby Star Pilot » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:18 am

That's excellent stuff, Roots. Dogfight sounds like perfect fight-type music. Gets me quite pumped indeed. :D Sans the synthesized sounds and "overproduction", if you will (I mean, given the type of project), that'd be exactly what I'm after for the battle tunes. This in particular reminds me of a couple midis a good composer friend of mine wrote. I think this is kind of what you're thinking:

http://www.robotattack.net/mdexter/sg_rpgcdbattle.mid
http://www.robotattack.net/mdexter/sg_fight.mid
http://www.robotattack.net/mdexter/sg_battleofthestars.mid

Heh, really talented guy. He works for the RPGamer music section. Anyway, I've been looking all over for this one Fruity Loops VST, FL Slayer. Great guitar emulator; I'd really like to use it with the battle/boss tunes, but if that falls through (it'd require me upgrading FL... a hassle, but it might be worth it, long as there's not too heavy a learning curve), I've got another good (yet obnoxiously loud- not that that can't be fixed) distorted guitar font modelled after a Jackson Kamac with Boss MT-2 (Metal Zone) distortion.

I'd throw some music of my own up, but I'm tight for bandwidth right now, and I'm trying to catch up from my absence. Maybe later.
Biohazard
Former Staff

Postby Biohazard » Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:31 pm

I'd love to see some good instrumental's :)

I have 2 examples of instrumentals... :approve:
Legendary Beast [ FFVIII the fight against Griever i believe ]

Stargate - Battle at the Pyramid

Aaand...this , i dont think it would make a great battle theme, but it would sure be good to include ofr a dramatical battle or something :heh: not sure, but i love it :approve:

Shingetsutan Tsukihime OST 1 - Track 21 - Justice

:D

I can't ahve them up too long so tell me after you downloaded em, please :D

I have a couple of better ones, tell me after you got those so i can upload them :)
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:53 pm

Legendary Beast: :approve:

Battle at the Pyramid: :approve:

Justice: :)

Instrumental Music: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Yes yes very good examples Felix! I didn't like Justice as much as I did the other two though. But instrumental music is defently sweet. Too bad we don't have an orchestra on the staff. :heh: Oh well I'm sure Matt can become his own orchestra! :approve:
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:18 pm

Alright here's another sample I really like. It is sort of a mixed genre between uhh I guess gospel and hard rock. I love when multiple genres of music are mixed together into a song (well). This is a good example of that. It comes from the Monster original soundtrack and its the opening song to the Monster anime.

http://expert.ics.purdue.edu/~olsent/allacrost/Monster_-_Grain.mp3

Its kinda creepy isn't it? I love the guitar against the chorus, it's just so.....I don't know a word to describe it. (By the way, if you haven't watched the Monster anime or read the manga I highly recommend you do so. Right now. :D)
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:06 pm

Found another good sample of potential battle music. Ironically, it comes from the cute bishoujo anime Tokyo Mew Mew. :heh: It so clearly contains the essance of 'pumpness' :approve:

http://expert.ics.purdue.edu/~olsent/allacrost/Mew_Zakuro_no_Theme.mp3
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:18 am

Ah the essence of "Pumpness", such a hard thing to convey.
For Classically styled Pumpness
listen to:

A love for 3 oranges - PROKOFIEV

Symphony No. 5 by Dmitri Shostakovich
The music that these guys made was in direct symmetry to the environment in which they lived. They grew up in a communist government with the "great" Stalin as their "leader"/dictator. Unable to stand the atrocities suffered at his hands, young musicians Shostokovich and Prokofiev decide to represent the atrocities of war in their music. Shostakovich No. 8 is a song for all of the Jews murdered during the Holocaust. It is the heaviest thing I have ever heard in my life. It is some powerful stuff....

Hitoshi Sakimoto can get me throughly pumped as well.
Rain
Musician

Sources of Inspiration ... II!!!!!!!

Postby Rain » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:01 am

Hi guys!

I just wanted to let you know the approach I am taking in the music writing process. I think orchestral works on very impressive unfortunately I have not the funds to afford a 90 piece orchestra, maybe some day that will change, but right now I am going to do my best to give it a Classical/Electronica (techno) type feel with maybe small traces of Jazz

Musical influences, HOLY SHIT.

Okay for film scoring

Danny Elfman (PEE WEES BIG ADVENTURE was my first film score I experienced and probably the most lasting, hes brilliant)
James Horner, Willow; James Horner is fucking brilliant as well.
John Williams, (STar Wars, Indiana Jones) obviously this guy is the man
Shinichiro Ikebe (Akiro Kurosawa's Dreams)
Bernard Hermann (Vertigo, Twilight Zone) Protoge of sorts to Elfman
There are others, most notably those present above.

Video game music

NOBUO UEMATSU=God (Final Fantasy 1-10) I would go as far as to say that Final Fantasy VI is arguably the greatest soundtrack ever made, period. Its so unfortuate that Nobuo and SquareENix have parted ways.

Hitoshi Sakimoto=Angel (final fantasy tactics) (This guy came out of nowhere and I think his use of harmony and melodic beauty are definite points of interest and emulation for me)

Koji Kondo=Saint (Super MArio Bros, Underwater theme is still catch as hell. Mario 2 is one of my favorite soundtracks EVER!)

Jeremy Soule=Pope ( I first got into Jeremy listening to Secret of Evermore which he produced as an 19 year old nobody.) Hes now VERY WELL known for his sprawling orchestral works, and hes probably one of the great American media composers today. I have had an opportunity to talk to Jeremy a few times and I have told him about this project. That gives me increased incentive to do well! Hes such a helpful individual, and a brilliant mind.

Gondamin=Michael the Archangel 2 words: BIONIC COMMANDO!
Greatest WAR soundtrack ever and I am comparing this to the works of the medal of honor soundtrack composer Michael Giacchino who is amazing in his own right.

Yasunori Mitsuda=Bishop (Chrono Trigger is BRILLIANT!!!)So is everything else he gets his hands on.

Classical Music

Rachmaninoff, Bartok, Stravinsky, Debussy, RAVEL=WOw, Shostakovich.
These guys are all amazing

I would have to say these guys have had the greatest impact on the composing maybe even the reason I am composing in the first place.
They are all phenomenal

For the feel of the game, I am going to do something in between FF6 Uematsu, Hitoshi Sakimoto FFT and Mitsuda, Chrono Cross. I want the soundtrack to have an epic feel.

(Fingers are crossed)

SO yea, if anyone has anything they would like me to listen to get some ideas, please feel free to let me know.
Balthazar
Former Staff

Postby Balthazar » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:13 am

Two points: You can't metion Koji Kondo without mentioning The Legend of Zelda. Now THAT'S an overworld theme.

If you want a good mix of rock/blues/jazz/classical listen to the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack. The composer's name is Yoko Kanno, and the band is Seatbelts. I don't know if either of them has done anything else.
"Homogenized?  No way, I like the ladies."
60 Tauren Shaman
31 Orc Warrior
21 Tauren Druid
18 Night Elf Hunter
12 Orc Warlock
Other various abandoned alts.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:35 pm

Balthazar wrote:Two points: You can't metion Koji Kondo without mentioning The Legend of Zelda. Now THAT'S an overworld theme.

If you want a good mix of rock/blues/jazz/classical listen to the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack. The composer's name is Yoko Kanno, and the band is Seatbelts. I don't know if either of them has done anything else.

I thought the Seatbelts were a "made-up" band in the Cowboy Bebop world. But yeah, Yoko Kanno is :bow: I particularly liked the sax solo "Spacelion" on the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack.

Now you guys may be kind of :eyebrow: when I say this, but last night I went to the circus (first time for me) and the music I heard there was :approve:. There was one song in particular that captivated me, and I'm trying to find it right now (my dad's girlfriend bought the CD). The name of the circus was "Cirque du Soleil" (french) and the show/soundtrack name is "Varekai".

And rain, if I could afford it I would give you the orchestra you need. :D But I think you're doing great with the limited resource you have now. :)
Balthazar
Former Staff

Postby Balthazar » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:06 am

Yeah, Cirque de Soleil is awesome. And they're not French, they're Canadian. So they're Quebec french. So they're quasi french. I'm gonna shut up now.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:35 am

Balthazar wrote:Yeah, Cirque de Soleil is awesome. And they're not French, they're Canadian. So they're Quebec french. So they're quasi french. I'm gonna shut up now.

I know they're Canadian, but the name is French, which is what I was refering to. :angel:
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:36 pm

Cirque de Soleil fans? The circus is fucking magic! Especially new age circuses. I had an opportunity to see them live and I passed it up, I hate myself! The combination of music, lighting, theatrics, acrobatics and the dreamlike quality that pervades the act is simply breathtaking. By the way, Quebec is a major MAJOR French population, so I see what your're saying. I made friends with a man named Saladin from the Cirque Eloize (sir-kel-waz) and he gave me the scoop. Not to get off too much on a tangent, but Quebec has one of the great Universities for circus performers and generally all the people you see performing have graduated from that school with honors. They have a clown department!!! Imagine that...

Sorry, but the circus has been a love and fascination of mine since the very early days

By the way, I am so sorry I forgot Legend of Zelda, that goes without saying...
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:40 pm

Wow, I never knew there were universities for circuses! There was an acrobat that captured my heart, she was so beautiful, so elegant. And that girl could touch the back of her head with her butt! So attractive... :bow:

By the way rain, didn't you say something about the main theme you're working on reminded your friends of Legend of Zelda? I think I recall hearing something like that. :huh:
Balthazar
Former Staff

Postby Balthazar » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:50 pm

Roots wrote:There was an acrobat that captured my heart, she was so beautiful, so elegant. And that girl could touch the back of her head with her butt! So attractive... :bow:

ROFL :D
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:30 pm

Roots wrote:Wow, I never knew there were universities for circuses! There was an acrobat that captured my heart, she was so beautiful, so elegant. And that girl could touch the back of her head with her butt! So attractive... :bow:

By the way rain, didn't you say something about the main theme you're working on reminded your friends of Legend of Zelda? I think I recall hearing something like that. :huh:

??? HAHHAAAH!!!! Funny and to the point, just what I expect a reply to be... I have heard that the main theme sounds like something from Zelda from about 5 people now. I haven't let a whole lot of people listen to it and I don't think its fair to compare my music to the music of a genius. (Kondo) But I will be sure to let you know when the theme is in listening shape.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:48 pm

I totally forgot about this, but I think it's a great source of inspiration:

http://www.digitallyimported.com/

Check out the New Age music stream. There's a lot of ambience/atmospheric type music with a lot of repetition there that sounds like it would fit in a game wonderfully. I listen to it sometimes when I'm sleeping. Honestly, you should really check it out. :approve:
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:28 am

Ok, there are two songs here that I'd like you to listen to. I want to have a super-inspiriational song somewhere in the game. Something that gets up the hopes of the listener and makes them feel that they can achieve anything. There are two songs here that do that for me better than....well probably better than anything else I've ever listened to.

1) 正義と自由 (Justice and Freedom): link
From the Gundam Seed OST. God I must have listened to this song hundreds of times by now. It just makes me feel like I can conquer all the evil in the world by listening to it. I almost wish I could just stick this song right into the game because it's perfect in every possible way, but that would be cheap.

2) コーアスプレンダリッフトオッフ (Core Splender Lift Off): link
From the Gundam Seed Destiny OST. I espeically love how the song builds up. It's better in the beginning, and then roughly around 1:00 begins to wane off in inspirational value for me.

Seriously though, both the Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny soundtracks have SOOOOO much more good inspirational music to them. You should really go buy them!!! Or, if buying isn't an option you could...*cough PM me cough* ;)
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:19 pm

Roots wrote:Ok, there are two songs here that I'd like you to listen to. I want to have a super-inspiriational song somewhere in the game. Something that gets up the hopes of the listener and makes them feel that they can achieve anything. There are two songs here that do that for me better than....well probably better than anything else I've ever listened to.

1) ????? (Justice and Freedom): link
From the Gundam Seed OST. God I must have listened to this song hundreds of times by now. It just makes me feel like I can conquer all the evil in the world by listening to it. I almost wish I could just stick this song right into the game because it's perfect in every possible way, but that would be cheap.

2) ??????????????? (Core Splender Lift Off): link
From the Gundam Seed Destiny OST. I espeically love how the song builds up. It's better in the beginning, and then roughly around 1:00 begins to wane off in inspirational value for me.

Seriously though, both the Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny soundtracks have SOOOOO much more good inspirational music to them. You should really go buy them!!! Or, if buying isn't an option you could...*cough PM me cough* ;)

I have never any of this music before. I am in awe right now.
Everything sounds so crisp. I hope I can even get close to matching this... I think I can! :) Who is this composer? He is certainly marvelous.
Wow, I am completely scatterbrained right now. MM, "I think I am going to go get drunk and beat up some midgets."

Awesome examples roots

Return to “Music”