Village

Postby Tyler Johnson » Wed May 28, 2008 7:51 pm

I wrote this with the opening town in mind, let me know what you guys think:

http://www.tyler-johnson.net/Village.mp3
Roots
Dictator

Re: Village

Postby Roots » Wed May 28, 2008 10:52 pm

I like it :approve: Its very peaceful and easy-going and has a pleasant tune. It reminds me very much of some of the village music from a certain RPG I played on the playstation....Lunar Star I think?
rujasu
Developer

Postby rujasu » Thu May 29, 2008 4:43 am

Roots wrote:I like it :approve: Its very peaceful and easy-going and has a pleasant tune. It reminds me very much of some of the village music from a certain RPG I played on the playstation....Lunar Star I think?

Truce Village in Chrono Trigger, perhaps?

ETA: In fact, the end part has almost exactly the same melody. They're too similar, I'm afraid. Anyone else care to comment?
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Thu May 29, 2008 6:20 am

rujasu wrote:
Roots wrote:I like it :approve: Its very peaceful and easy-going and has a pleasant tune. It reminds me very much of some of the village music from a certain RPG I played on the playstation....Lunar Star I think?

Truce Village in Chrono Trigger, perhaps?

:bang: It's one thing if it's "inspired by" a certain song*, it's another thing if it's a note-for-note lift from the melody. Which it is (the aforementioned piece rujasu noted). Don't do that - we couldn't accept any such piece into the game. No, you don't have to go publicly shame yourself and cry penance to the gods, just don't do that.

Don't get me wrong - imitation of existing works that you know to be good can be great for practice - it's an excellent way to 'lock variables'. By doing a song you already know has a good melody, you can focus solely on making sure you're using your music creation software to synthesize instruments well, etc. It's very much like copying an existing painting to practice brush technique. However, for various reasons relating to modern ideas of 'ownership', you've gotta keep any such efforts in the closet as practice, and can't foist them on people as an original work.

* like John Williams' "Star Wars" music was from Gustav Holst's "Mars"
Tyler Johnson

Postby Tyler Johnson » Thu May 29, 2008 4:36 pm

Shit you guys are right, it's almost identical. I knew I was getting inspiration from somewhere but I didn't know where. I haven't played that game in years, the melody must have been buried in my head until now. Dammit, well i'm working on something else right now that's very different in style. I'll post when I have something done...

Return to “Music”