Battle Background - WIP

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

User avatar
Safir-Kreuz
Artist
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:06 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Battle Background - WIP

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:05 am

Well here is my first background. I am not really sure what to think right now. It's kinda mystical feeling to me... I may change the gradient values, depending on the hue change you guys may request. Anyway tell me what you think :D

Actually, I just changed the hue lol... it was all cyan at first... until I look back at the tiles!! :)
Image
User avatar
Roots
Dictator
Posts: 8644
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

Postby Roots » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:33 am

WOW! I think that looks awesome! :bow: :bow: :bow: I love the cracks on the stone floor, they look really sweet. :D


I would like to see what it looks like when we plop some sprites and menus and other things on there, because that's the real test. ;)
Image
User avatar
gorzuate
Developer
Posts: 2575
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:03 am
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Contact:

Postby gorzuate » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:37 am

Sweet! :cool:

That's awesome S-K.
Image
Sylon
Artist
Posts: 760
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:03 pm
Location: Cheyenne, WY

Postby Sylon » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:54 am

Hmmm.  I don't know how you made it (photoshop or something?) but it looks professional.

Only thing I'm concerned with is, what are those sparkly little specks on the ground?  Are the rocks supposed to be wet or is there mica embedded in those stones? The shiny dots are too shiny in my opinion, unless there is a reason for it.  They certainly don't look like the average "highlighted" area of the rocks.  Picture the BG with and without the sparkles, and imagine the difference.  Not sure if anyone else cares, but it is a significant one.  Well, don't get me wrong Safir, I don't have a preference, just I'd like to know what the goal of the shiny sparkles are.  Water or sheen in the stones.

The darkness in the back, I first thought it was a bad idea but changed my mind.

This isn't like your other art (unless you have similar art at deviantart that I haven't seen!).  You have another talent then eh?!

So you will be our Battle BG Artist?  That would be cool!  I want to see you do the desert now!
-[Sylon Shanings]-, A Servant of Allacrost.
I owe my allegiance to Roots and only Roots! Hail to the dictator!

"DAD GUMMIT I NEEDA GET MY TORUS DOWN." - Sylon's art jabber
User avatar
visage
Former Staff
Posts: 711
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Postby visage » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:02 am

Don't forget to write your name in the ground using those cracks ;)  Easter egg ahoy!

Also, looks damn good.
User avatar
Safir-Kreuz
Artist
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:06 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:08 am

Sylon wrote:Hmmm.  I don't know how you made it (photoshop or something?) but it looks professional.

Only thing I'm concerned with is, what are those sparkly little specks on the ground?  Are the rocks supposed to be wet or is there mica embedded in those stones? The shiny dots are too shiny in my opinion, unless there is a reason for it.  They certainly don't look like the average "highlighted" area of the rocks.  Picture the BG with and without the sparkles, and imagine the difference.  Not sure if anyone else cares, but it is a significant one.  Well, don't get me wrong Safir, I don't have a preference, just I'd like to know what the goal of the shiny sparkles are.  Water or sheen in the stones.

The darkness in the back, I first thought it was a bad idea but changed my mind.

This isn't like your other art (unless you have similar art at deviantart that I haven't seen!).  You have another talent then eh?!

So you will be our Battle BG Artist?  That would be cool!  I want to see you do the desert now!


Lol Photoshop is my best friend :D. Anyway, yeah, I have to agree about the highlights on the rocks... I designed it to have a water sheen, though I must admit that I did that probably by accident lol... I dunno. I like it the front, but it appears distracting in the background.

Hmm.... I dunno... I can do almost anything when I put my head to it... it's just getting over the slothful moments.
Sylon
Artist
Posts: 760
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:03 pm
Location: Cheyenne, WY

Postby Sylon » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:13 am

Safir-Kreuz wrote:Lol Photoshop is my best friend :D. Anyway, yeah, I have to agree about the highlights on the rocks... I designed it to have a water sheen, though I must admit that I did that probably by accident lol... I dunno. I like it the front, but it appears distracting in the background.


Okay that makes sense!  Wow imagine how it would be if they were all animated like glitter during battle.  That would be reminiscent of Super Mario World SNES -- remember those cave BGs?  Sweetness.

Yeah maybe if they get toned down in the back it would make more sense.  But heck do what ya want.  If you don't have time to do it, just don't.  No biggie.  It's good as it is too.
-[Sylon Shanings]-, A Servant of Allacrost.
I owe my allegiance to Roots and only Roots! Hail to the dictator!

"DAD GUMMIT I NEEDA GET MY TORUS DOWN." - Sylon's art jabber
User avatar
Safir-Kreuz
Artist
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:06 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:34 am

Okay guys here is my desert... I NEED HELP!! I need to know what I should add... and please don't say cactii... I want something that can be typical of deserts but something that isn't distracting or animated. Cactii are neat... but I just feel that it would be more interesting if there was some other plant growth.

Image
User avatar
Roots
Dictator
Posts: 8644
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

Postby Roots » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:37 am

Yeah, I think the quality is great for now, but we can add some goodies to it either now or later. For example, it would be sweet to see a bug crawling from that hole and climbing along the wall to eventually disappear into the depth of that cave hall. :bow:


Sylon, the glittering on the ground can't be done because as it stands right now, we only do animation on the upper portion of the background image (it would be very costly to replicate the same 1024x768 image for multiple frames). However, that battle background standard is not set it stone yet. Maybe we could, for example,  add an additional layer of PNG images (for transparency) between the background and the actual battle sprites. Then we can do all kinds of cool animations on the battle background, like for example small tumbleweeds rolling across the field. Hmmmm. :angel:
Image
User avatar
Safir-Kreuz
Artist
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:06 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:54 am

hmm not a bad idea :D, seems more complicated though for the size. Yet when have I ever let you guys down... besides every other day  :devil:
User avatar
gorzuate
Developer
Posts: 2575
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:03 am
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Contact:

Postby gorzuate » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:27 am

S-K, how about a Joshua tree for the desert? I guess they're sorta like cactii, but more tree-like.
link
Image
User avatar
Safir-Kreuz
Artist
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:06 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:34 am

gorzuate wrote:S-K, how about a Joshua tree for the desert? I guess they're sorta like cactii, but more tree-like.
link


I really like that, I will add that in later. Thanks for the suggestion :D
User avatar
visage
Former Staff
Posts: 711
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Postby visage » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:47 pm

Roots wrote:Yeah, I think the quality is great for now, but we can add some goodies to it either now or later. For example, it would be sweet to see a bug crawling from that hole and climbing along the wall to eventually disappear into the depth of that cave hall. :bow:


This actually probably wouldn't be too hard to implement -- but would probably require some sort of "background data" class, which you would pass into the battle code.  Like, where the holes are, what little creatures to draw, how often, et cetera.
User avatar
Roots
Dictator
Posts: 8644
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

Postby Roots » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:14 pm

For the desert (love the sky btw), I think that it looks fine. It's SUPPOSED to be barren. ;) But a Joshua tree might add a nice effect.


Actually I don't think we're going to have an actual battle in the desert during the prologue (although we might). We are going to have battles in Harrvah town during the destruction though, so it would be awesome if you could do a background with the town and show burning/destroyed buildings and rubble in the far background, and even show some knights in the background fighting the demons. Oh man, that image in my mind is freaking amazing right now! :D I wish I was a good artist so I could show you guys what I mean instead of just talking about it. :(


visage wrote:This actually probably wouldn't be too hard to implement -- but would probably require some sort of "background data" class, which you would pass into the battle code.  Like, where the holes are, what little creatures to draw, how often, et cetera.


Yeah. It's something to keep in mind for later. But let's focus on the more immediate coding issues at hand. :)
Image
User avatar
Jetryl
Artist
Posts: 1485
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:35 am
Location: Southern Minnesota, USA

Postby Jetryl » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:02 am

Yeah, not much for me to say on that first cave background.  Looks awesome.

:(  I need to work on my landscape painting skills.  They are currently "teh suck".
User avatar
Rain
Musician
Posts: 1523
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:43 am
Location: Granz

Postby Rain » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:45 am

Safir-Kreuz wrote:Okay guys here is my desert... I NEED HELP!! I need to know what I should add... and please don't say cactii... I want something that can be typical of deserts but something that isn't distracting or animated. Cactii are neat... but I just feel that it would be more interesting if there was some other plant growth.

Image


I like it!  The shape of the dune is nice...if maybe a little too high to see the sky...  The sky looks a little too uneven (inconsistent) in color scheme...Here's some ideas on skylines...

Image

Image

Image

Its an excellent start  :approve: Can't wait to see how it improves.
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Image
User avatar
Safir-Kreuz
Artist
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:06 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Tue May 15, 2007 12:40 am

[img:1024:768]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/safir-kreuz/backgrounds/cave.jpg[/img]
[img:1024:256]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/safir-kreuz/backgrounds/cavecl.jpg[/img]
[img:1024:512]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/safir-kreuz/backgrounds/cavefl.jpg[/img]
User avatar
Roots
Dictator
Posts: 8644
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

Postby Roots » Tue May 15, 2007 1:00 am

:twitch: :bow:

Wow. That is going to look freaking amazing in the demo! Glad you got this to us in time. :D
Image
User avatar
Safir-Kreuz
Artist
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:06 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Tue May 15, 2007 2:00 am

Roots wrote::twitch: :bow:

Wow. That is going to look freaking amazing in the demo! Glad you got this to us in time. :D


I am not done yet... Animation Time

[img:1024:256]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/safir-kreuz/backgrounds/Cave-Anim.gif[/img]
User avatar
Jetryl
Artist
Posts: 1485
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:35 am
Location: Southern Minnesota, USA

Postby Jetryl » Tue May 15, 2007 2:15 am

:twitch: Mein gott!

So .. amazing!



*ahem*; now if I can keep myself from drooling on my keyboard, onto a few orders of business:

1] I presume this is intended to replace the current desert cave background - correct?

2] Do you mind if we make a location bar out of this as well (I would be strongly in-favor of using the same images for both, since it makes the sense of place much more coherent). Like so: (yes, this would be replacing the old one I made - I don't care, this one is much better).

[img:500:125]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jetryl/Misc/locations/desert_cave.png[/img]

3] Eventually we would want a town-backdrop (which could double as a town location bar). The setting is like in this screenshot :
http://www.allacrost.org/media/screensh ... en_03a.jpg
Just want to keep you totally up-to-date on plans.

Return to “Artwork”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests