New Portraits

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

User avatar
Safir-Kreuz
Artist
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:06 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: New Portraits

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:30 pm

Image
User avatar
Rain
Musician
Posts: 1523
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:43 am
Location: Granz

Re: New Portraits

Postby Rain » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:11 am

DAmn. :disapprove: ...APRIL FOOLS! BWAHAHA

To be honest, each and every one of those portraits looks incredible. I mean Jesus, just look at the confidence of the contour of the lines outlining each character! Their faces are perfectly constructed and aesthetically pleasing.
Even more impressive, I love how there is a sense of consistency within the drawing style for each of the efforts and yet each character looks VERY much an individual and has their own sense of emotional nuance. You can almost look into their soul from these drawings.

Here is what I see when I look at these.

1) A sly war veteran. A mercenary with a taste for battle, poker, cheap ale and wenches. But a heart of gold lies behind the exterior.

2) Looks cocky as hell. As if he has never lost a fight. An agile warrior, cunning, ruthless, deadly (and quite possibly, a closet-homosexual) REMINDS me a lot of ZELL from FFVIII.

3) Looks benevolent and yet not a man to trifle with. Perhaps a buddhist... then again, could be a greatly decorated commander.

4) Goofy teenage girl with an innocence about her.

5) The typical Dumb hench-orc... an oxymoron of course. LMFAO at this picture.

6) Hardened youngster with a maturity far beyond his years... possibly due to a great loss or tragedy that occurred earlier in his youth.

7) Cherubic young one with a quick smile and not a care or sad thought in the world.

8) Noble princess... portrayed by the up-turned nose. A gal whose been given every luxury, which has given her a regal attitude and arrogance. Given to showing emotional restraint to present a firm, strong image to sub-ordinates.

9) Steadfast soldier with an un-wavering sense of justice.

A picture can tell a thousand stories. These pictures do just that. Keep working man, your style is definitely sharp as a tack! :approve: :approve: :approve:
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Image
User avatar
Safir-Kreuz
Artist
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:06 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: New Portraits

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:03 am

Rain wrote:DAmn. :disapprove: ...APRIL FOOLS! BWAHAHA

To be honest, each and every one of those portraits looks incredible. I mean Jesus, just look at the confidence of the contour of the lines outlining each character! Their faces are perfectly constructed and aesthetically pleasing.
Even more impressive, I love how there is a sense of consistency within the drawing style for each of the efforts and yet each character looks VERY much an individual and has their own sense of emotional nuance. You can almost look into their soul from these drawings.

Here is what I see when I look at these.

1) A sly war veteran. A mercenary with a taste for battle, poker, cheap ale and wenches. But a heart of gold lies behind the exterior.

2) Looks cocky as hell. As if he has never lost a fight. An agile warrior, cunning, ruthless, deadly (and quite possibly, a closet-homosexual) REMINDS me a lot of ZELL from FFVIII.

3) Looks benevolent and yet not a man to trifle with. Perhaps a buddhist... then again, could be a greatly decorated commander.

4) Goofy teenage girl with an innocence about her.

5) The typical Dumb hench-orc... an oxymoron of course. LMFAO at this picture.

6) Hardened youngster with a maturity far beyond his years... possibly due to a great loss or tragedy that occurred earlier in his youth.

7) Cherubic young one with a quick smile and not a care or sad thought in the world.

8) Noble princess... portrayed by the up-turned nose. A gal whose been given every luxury, which has given her a regal attitude and arrogance. Given to showing emotional restraint to present a firm, strong image to sub-ordinates.

9) Steadfast soldier with an un-wavering sense of justice.

A picture can tell a thousand stories. These pictures do just that. Keep working man, your style is definitely sharp as a tack! :approve: :approve: :approve:



Lol Wow, thanks for that really well thought out summary of the portraits. You actually pretty much summed them all up. My personal favorites is the mercenary (Someone I would like to see with Rafaeya/Rafaela) and the perky girl... (yeah, final fantasy-esque... in the tradition of relm, yuffie, selpie, rikku, blah, blah, blah.)

Lol Ironic with the Zell look-a-like and the closeted homosexual reference... (I always thought that of Zell.)

Some need work (*cough*Row 3*cough*), and they all need to be colored.

I am planning to make a set of monster faces.


Funny what I do for warm-ups/procrastination techniques for my book illustration commissions.
Last edited by Safir-Kreuz on Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Jetryl
Artist
Posts: 1485
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:35 am
Location: Southern Minnesota, USA

Re: New Portraits

Postby Jetryl » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:56 am

Lacking something erudite to say:

Those are pretty cool. :approve:


Some need work (*cough*Row 3*cough*)

Eh; goes with the territory. I'd question the alignment of facial features with face on the first one, but ... you already know that.

More notably, the girl on the left side of row 2 ... her smile might be stretching a bit too wide on the right side of the image (our right). All of these have really great personality though.

Lol Ironic with the Zell look-a-like and the closeted homosexual reference... (I always taught that of Zell.)


Man, who said anything about "closeted". :heh:
Image
User avatar
Safir-Kreuz
Artist
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:06 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: New Portraits

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:56 am

Image
User avatar
gorzuate
Developer
Posts: 2575
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:03 am
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA
Contact:

Re: New Portraits

Postby gorzuate » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:36 am

I am in awe, as usual :bow:
Image
User avatar
Drakkoon
Developer
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:54 am
Location: Montréal, Qc

Re: New Portraits

Postby Drakkoon » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:50 am

:twitch: .... Awesome

You fixed pretty much everything that was weird in the sketches :approve:
User avatar
Rain
Musician
Posts: 1523
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:43 am
Location: Granz

Re: New Portraits

Postby Rain » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:48 am

Jesus. I didn't think the portraits could get any better.

Way to prove me wrong! :approve: They are spectacular. I can't find one thing to gripe about.
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Image
User avatar
Jetryl
Artist
Posts: 1485
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:35 am
Location: Southern Minnesota, USA

Re: New Portraits

Postby Jetryl » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:45 am

All told, solid A grade work. :approve:

Since it's more constructive than just giving a nice but uninformative "these are great and I don't know what else to say" response, I'll rattle off a few things I see; just bear in mind as I'm saying these 'negative' things that the pictures are still great.

- All the issues on the shaping are fixed. They all look great, in that. I'm especially impressed with the anatomy work on the lips/noses. Also, upturned angles like the bottom center are always a bitch, and you've handled that one with finesse.
- There's a bit of pillowshading on them; it works if the light is coming from right behind us, the viewer, and if there are no other light sources on these, but some other arrangement with the lighting would really help.
- The colors... dang - I don't even know what's technically bugging me about it. I can make a guess, though, for better or worse - it's like they exist in a vacuum, and aren't interacting with any environment around them. Like the character is standing in a white room, rather than outside, even under the sun. They might be a bit over-saturated on top of that. I'd be more assertive about this, but my current color practice is shit, so don't take me as some high-falutin' authority on the subject. A lot of times I've been plainly intimidated by your color work, so...


:huh: I also don't know if these are the best place to be putting tons of work into, since it's not portraits we need really badly right now. It won't hurt to have them down the road, but the lack of them isn't ever gonna kill us (not like the lack of sprites or tiles does - some "best of class" games in this category have shipped with no portraits whatsoever, like Zelda:Link to the Past).

:heh: But hey - I've been guilty of this too - the important thing is that you stay motivated. If trying to force yourself to make sprites makes you procrastinate - do whatever's fun.
Image
Cornut
Developer
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:04 am
Location: Tucson
Contact:

Re: New Portraits

Postby Cornut » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:00 am

Oooh, these are wonderful. I'm not much of an artist, and lack insight I would consider constructive, so I'll just leave it at that. I especially like how each portrait is very unique in look and expression, each representing a different personality and culture. Nice work!
User avatar
Safir-Kreuz
Artist
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:06 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: New Portraits

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:07 pm

Jetryl wrote:- All the issues on the shaping are fixed. They all look great, in that. I'm especially impressed with the anatomy work on the lips/noses. Also, upturned angles like the bottom center are always a bitch, and you've handled that one with finesse.
- There's a bit of pillowshading on them; it works if the light is coming from right behind us, the viewer, and if there are no other light sources on these, but some other arrangement with the lighting would really help.
- The colors... dang - I don't even know what's technically bugging me about it. I can make a guess, though, for better or worse - it's like they exist in a vacuum, and aren't interacting with any environment around them. Like the character is standing in a white room, rather than outside, even under the sun. They might be a bit over-saturated on top of that.


:huh: I also don't know if these are the best place to be putting tons of work into, since it's not portraits we need really badly right now. It won't hurt to have them down the road, but the lack of them isn't ever gonna kill us (not like the lack of sprites or tiles does - some "best of class" games in this category have shipped with no portraits whatsoever, like Zelda:Link to the Past).


Wow, that is bad, I did a lot of pillow shading ouch!.... Though what usually happens there is I keep thinking of freaking school pictures........... wow never had any good ones of those.

As far as the colors go, It's a different thing I have been doing here of late, where I am been doing children book illustrations I am trying to avoid my old coloring method (Grayscale Image -> Gradient Map -> Mask Editing).

As far as over saturates, it's a stylized thing really, after doing desaturated pictures for so long I kinda got tired of the drabbiness. The three most obvious over saturations is (r2,c1), (r3,c2), and (r3,c3)

My overall favorites are row 1 (Pillowshading and all) and (r2,c1) are my favorites.
User avatar
Safir-Kreuz
Artist
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:06 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: New Portraits

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:31 pm

Image
Image
Image
Image

Sorry, I just decided that I should show everyone what I have been doing, these are my children book illustrations for a book called "We're Really All Quite the Same". It's a book about how to respect other people other gender, race, and impairments.

The negative space is where the text will be dropped onto. There is still lots of editing to, but these are 95% complete. Primarily I need to add some shadows and highlights.
User avatar
Rain
Musician
Posts: 1523
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:43 am
Location: Granz

Re: New Portraits

Postby Rain » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:51 am

Well damn. That is awesome.

Very cute and colorful. This should work really nicely for a children's book. How long did these drawings take you?
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Image
User avatar
Safir-Kreuz
Artist
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:06 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: New Portraits

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:05 am

Rain wrote:Well damn. That is awesome.

Very cute and colorful. This should work really nicely for a children's book. How long did these drawings take you?


Span of about 10-12 days... about 35 more till completion lol
User avatar
Safir-Kreuz
Artist
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:06 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: New Portraits

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:45 am

ImageImage

Yeah, I know I shouldn't have done this yet again... but I guess after looking up on frontlighting(an aspect of pillowshading...) I decides to revamp these to prove I always can do better bah... oh well. Worthless yes, but practice indeed.
User avatar
Jetryl
Artist
Posts: 1485
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:35 am
Location: Southern Minnesota, USA

Re: New Portraits

Postby Jetryl » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:58 am

I do think it turned out pretty well, though. :approve:
Image
User avatar
Rain
Musician
Posts: 1523
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:43 am
Location: Granz

Re: New Portraits

Postby Rain » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:12 am

I didn't really like the new additions very much at first but I think they are better. They look a bit washed out, but there are more subtle and easy to look at. The reflections are very nice!

However, one thing that really stuck out to me is the new nose of the teenage girl. Her face isn't as sharp now, not as vibrant for some reason. I think it has something to do with the shape of her nose and how it's rounded off a bit now, but it could be something else. :cry:

Still, cool. These images are great. They inspire me to be more subtle with my own work.
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Image
User avatar
Safir-Kreuz
Artist
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:06 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: New Portraits

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:56 am

Jetryl wrote:I do think it turned out pretty well, though. :approve:


Yeah I think so too. The original colored version had a lot of simple runs done. The ones I didn't the most overhaul was the young girl, she really was the worst one, nothing near as what I normally can achieve now. Even the newer version of her, I still don't like compared to the others. (I think it's more or less you she looks plain without a lot of personality)

Rain wrote:I didn't really like the new additions very much at first but I think they are better. They look a bit washed out, but there are more subtle and easy to look at. The reflections are very nice!

However, one thing that really stuck out to me is the new nose of the teenage girl. Her face isn't as sharp now, not as vibrant for some reason. I think it has something to do with the shape of her nose and how it's rounded off a bit now, but it could be something else. :cry:

Still, cool. These images are great. They inspire me to be more subtle with my own work.


Some of these do look some washed out, but at least they don't look so extremely sketchy as they were before, again definately the young girl. I think ultimately, they each got positive fixes, that are slightly more concrete and expressive.

The teenage girl does seem to have a very round off nose, oh well adds character. :angel: Personally I find her to the best, because she has a the most charm... she's kinda like my version of the FF Perky Happy-Go-Lucky character.

The colors got tones down because of one of Jetryls suggestions.

Anyway, I'll be moving away from these things, the next time you guys will see new stuff will be sprites.

Return to “Artwork”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests