Short Term Art Goals - please contribute.

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

Psiweapon

Short Term Art Goals - please contribute.

Postby Psiweapon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:10 pm

HAI GUISE :approve:

I will post here the art tasks I will be doing short-term.

I encourage you to do the same - and I don't mind editing this first post to include your short-term art goals. If one of you devs stickies it (when it already has a sizable chunk of content) we've got ourselves a nice art task roundup, and as I said, I don't mind being the maintainer of the list.

The kind of thing to be included here would be down to earth and needed tasks. Not revolutionary new additions to the game, or cool new content, but needed edits and polishing. Also, they should be things that any of us is already doing, or planning to do soon, not a strict to-do list.

Also, this would help in case I (or someone else) plans to do a task which isn't really needed any more.

---ZE LIST!!11!!!11one---

-Fixing that lame cave entrance... FIX'D
    -Fixing the Shouldered Breastplate and Metal Shield icons... FIX'D

-Running animations
      --Running animations for the base sprite (I don't think it has them, right?) halted, moar important things to do =(
      --Running animations for knights (I hate to see them walking really fast!!)

-Harrvah House:
      -Fix seam fault on left part of entry roof. FIX'D
      -Fixing other, minor seam faults.
      -Edit until half-destroyed

-Remaking that boulder. -
    -Remaking that other boulder - FIX'D
Last edited by Psiweapon on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Psiweapon

Re: Short Term Art Goals - please contribute.

Postby Psiweapon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:47 pm

Cave entrance done:

I'm not good at emulating other people's syles, at least not yet on pixel art, but hey, it's better than nothing.

I'll probably retouch it eventually, though.

I've also uploaded the two demons to the FTP.
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:36 pm

So, I pulled out of my flapjack two quick edits for the Metal Shield and Shouldered Breastplate icons.

I'm not as ace as that guy you had with you before, but I think they're OK.

What's up with that red dot??!?

And why the flapjack isn't the metal shield icon updating properly?! I've overwritten it like three times! I hope it's some fault on my side and that you see it properly.

Edit: fault on my side, probably about the cache, I ctrl+r'd the post and now it displays properly :approve:
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:21 pm

Sweet, I'll add these to SVN immediately. The red dots were something that I added to indicate that those images were placeholders. I'll remove them when I add them to SVN so don't worry about it. I love what you did with the cave entrance too, nice work. :approve:
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:21 pm

zOMG awesome cave entrance :!:

:bow:
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:07 pm

Hey!

The base sprite we're using is from that "legal and free" art repository for open-source games, right?

Since I'm making a running animation for it - based on claudius' - what would be the netiquette on releasing the running frames back into the repository?
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:51 pm

You mean this?

http://opengameart.org/node/5360

This is something that was created by one of our artists a long time ago, before opengameart.org ever existed. You are not under any obligation to release your sprites to opengameart.org. If you would like to though (and really, there's no reason not to) then you are free to upload whatever you want, whenever you want. The license you choose to release it under is up to you, although any art created for Allacrost you grant us to use it under the GPL license. Other than granting us permission to use your work under the GPL, you otherwise retrain full copyright ownership of whatever you create.

Does that all make sense? I'm not sure if that answers all of questions.
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:39 pm

Roots wrote:You mean this?

http://opengameart.org/node/5360

This is something that was created by one of our artists a long time ago, before opengameart.org ever existed. You are not under any obligation to release your sprites to opengameart.org. If you would like to though (and really, there's no reason not to) then you are free to upload whatever you want, whenever you want. The license you choose to release it under is up to you, although any art created for Allacrost you grant us to use it under the GPL license. Other than granting us permission to use your work under the GPL, you otherwise retrain full copyright ownership of whatever you create.

Does that all make sense? I'm not sure if that answers all of questions.

Yes, yes it does :)

It's just fair, if I'm editing a base sprite, adding additional frames ("valga la redundancia" :eyespin: ) to release it to the the same repertoire.

When I do full sprites, I'm not going to release them in there, unless you people want to (In that case, I don't have any qualms) but being an edit of the original base sprite, I feel like I have to. A base sprite that's in a free game art repertoire is for people to use it, expanding it and not letting people use it feels kind of mean :shrug:
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:50 pm

Well eventually I'm going to upload a lot of our artwork up there because it will help other projects get a head start. But I don't want to do so until after we complete our next release, just because I want to make sure that we are the first project to use those assests. We do, by the way, use a lot of artwork from other projects. Many of our inventory icons come from Battle for Wesnoth, while our enemy sprites on the map come from The Manaworld.
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:47 am

Oh, if it's okay with you it's okay with me then :approve:

I didn't mean I was opposed to releasing them there, I meant I wasn't going to do so right away. But if you intend to release game graphics there, it's better that you do so in bulk when you feel is appropiate.
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:29 pm

Fixed the "blue" boulder:

Next, making the "ms paint hackjob" boulder :eyespin:

Gaahh. I hate transparency areas.
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:34 pm

Oh god I think there's still a fucked up transparency area in that file.

From now on, I will take whatever I'm remaking out of the file and then paste it back. If I edit it directly, there are too many chances of screwing something up.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:09 am

Don't worry, as long as the parts in the file that you changed aren't corrupted its fine. I'm just taking these images and only copy/pasting the modification you made back into the original file anyway. I also configured GIMP so that it no longer saves the color values for transparent areas, so in the next release any file that you have made a modification to will not have those problems. Keep up the good work! :approve:
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:04 am

Oh well, if you're going to use that method, when I do partial edits, I will only upload to the FTP the fraction I actually edit, for the size limit's sake :approve:
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:24 pm

EDIT: I WAS TRYING TO COPYPASTA SOMETHING AND FUXED THINGS UP. HERE'S THE ORIGINAL PIC

Last edited by Psiweapon on Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:11 pm

Sweet, it'll be included in my next SVN commit. Thanks!

(Sadly, we won't be able to make use of this rock in the release this week because of some technical reasons with the code, but it will in the cave map eventually).
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:18 pm

YOU WON'T BE USING MY ROCK?!?!?!??

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

*rage quits*

Just kiddin' :approve:
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:17 pm

Hey, I just found a glaring seam fault in harrvah_house.png

Just use these two tiles instead of the current ones and everything should be alright. It could be optimized more, but I tried to find the most simple solution to the problem.

The house has some other minor faults, but this one was the real glaring hole.
The tiles themselves are really nice, but they aren't very coherent with each other. Has this file been edited at some point?
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:36 pm

Thanks for that fix, I've got it in the tileset now and it looks great. We're actually using harrvah_house_exterior.png and not harrvah_house.png (the latter will be removed sometime soon I believe), but the errors/inconsistencies are the same in both. Yes, this tileset does need a lot of work. I think that Jetryl, the original artist, just never got around to finishing it. I'm not sure. The roof especially needs attention in this tileset as there are many other errors (which are easier to see when you open the harrvah_city.lua map in the map editor). I'd also like some wall tiles that do not include those two window slits.

We'll have a partially working map that uses this tileset and some others in our release this week. Once that's out it will be much easier to visualize exactly what we need here.
rujasu
Developer

Postby rujasu » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:20 am

Yeah, Jetrel made the tiles originally, but the set wasn't completed, and only designed for a small house. I hacked it into a placeholder set, because we needed to get moving on a demo with a desert setting, Jetrel had other commitments, and the project was basically spinning its wheels for a while.

We need to fix this set soon. It's an extremely important tileset for the early part of the game, and we should make the fixes now, while there's not a lot depending on it. Here's the original file I was working from, if it helps any:

http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jet ... -house.png

Psiweapon: Would you be interested in working on this tileset? Seems you have a pretty good handle on what needs to be done with it. Just talked to Jetrel; he's too busy right now to finish the tileset for us, but he offered to take a look at your work and offer suggestions, if you're interested.

Return to “Artwork”