Soldiers cheap variations

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

Bertram

Soldiers cheap variations

Postby Bertram » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:30 pm

Hi there,

Each time I select the "New game" mode, I see the opening scene where soldiers are marching through the desert with a nice opening text.

I mustn't be the only one to have noticed that every soldier is brown-haired, with blue eyes, used to walk in the desert, but completely occidental white-skinned, and becoming blonder haired when fighting. ;)

So I decided to open a topic about it and propose some little cheap improvement for that. It's far from being perfect, but eh, it's a start :)

Not having the right tools atm, (MS Paint and sumo paint only ...), I did some quick and dirty palette shifting for the soldiers eyes, hair, and skin.
Here is the latest try at it:
soldier_npc01_variations-dirty-sample.png
soldier_npc01_variations-dirty-sample.png (2.88 KiB) Viewed 4373 times

Also, to address the second problem, I brownified kyle's hair to make use of the sprite for soldiers in battles:
soldier_idle-test.png
soldier_idle-test.png (2.43 KiB) Viewed 4373 times

Do you think I can go further (using the right tools, to not break the transparent layer, some other pixels on the way, and so on...), or should I get another job? :ohnoes:

Best regards,
nemesis

Re: Soldiers cheap variations

Postby nemesis » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:53 pm

That's cool. The variations look really nice. I'm completey pro for changing some of the sprites in the opening scene. :)

Basically I also wanted to write some post regarding color variations of existing sprites (bascially triggered by a post from lostgarden). I thought about making the green slime grey and black to have more variations. With changed values for the attributes would lead to completely new enemies for e.g. deeper levels in cave.
Bertram

Postby Bertram » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:23 pm

Hi nemesis,

I'm glad you like those. :)

Speaking of palette shifting or image dyeing as we call it in the Mana World, maybe you'll be interested by those links:
The doc presenting the system used:
http://doc.manasource.org/image_dyeing_system

A simple CLI tool to dye a png using the desired channel that Jaxad0127 and me have been working on:
http://gitorious.org/mana/mana/trees/ma ... ols/dyecmd

Best regards,
nemesis

Postby nemesis » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:37 pm

Thanks for the link. I guess I will try it later for the slimes. :)

Really nice work you all did for Mana. :bow:
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:44 pm

Yes we definitely want to have variations on the soldiers not only in the opening scene, but throughout the entire chapter. We were actually going to have some soldiers with helmets on, and others with cloaks as well. Basically the idea is that the rookie knights wouldn't have the same set of equipment as the more senior ones. Once we have a version with a knight wearing a helmet, and another with a cloak, its pretty easy to mix it up with different equipment, skin/hair colors, and shades of armor. Its just not something that we've been able to get around to yet (since we have virtually no artists working on tiles or map sprites).

I was always planning to make color variations for the enemy sprites, both on the map and in battles. Its really simple to do (takes me about 1 minute in GIMP) and lessens our artwork burden immensely. However, I dont' want to see a bunch of different colored slimes and what not in the game already. Variations of older enemies can come in later chapters, and we already have enough unique enemies for this opening chapter that we don't need to resort to this right now.
nemesis

Postby nemesis » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:19 pm

However, I dont' want to see a bunch of different colored slimes and what not in the game already.

Me too.
Variations of older enemies can come in later chapters,

That was exactly what I was thinking about.
With changed values for the attributes would lead to completely new enemies for e.g. deeper levels in cave.

Not in the first cave but I hope there will be more eventually.

Basically I just though about this because I wanted to try it sometime to see how hard/easy this is. So don't be afraid, you will not see some rainbows composed from slimes. ;)
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:46 pm

Hahaha, okay sounds good. Yeah I don't know if you know how to use GIMP or not, but basically if you open up any of the sprite image files and then go to the "Color" menu and play around with hue, saturation, lightness, etc. settings, you can easily make a variation. This one took me about 15 seconds:

Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:57 pm

Can I make a soldier girl? :D :D :D :D :D :D
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:00 pm

Also, a nice, realistic and easy to do variant would be:

Wounded soldiers.

Put a bandage here and there, and voilà, soldiers that don't look brand new but are still kickin'.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:44 pm

Sure, why not? I'm all for equal opportunity knighthood. :) Not to mention I've always kind of had a thing for chicks with swords. :heh:

Wounded soldier would be absolutely awesome to have. We definitely can (and probably should) use that for the prologue, because after the big scorpion boss fight in the cave, a lot of the soldiers should be showing injuries.
Bertram

Postby Bertram » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:33 am

Hi there!

It seems Psiweapon and me agreed upon applying some palette variations once he's done some of his new soldier's version.

Stay tuned! ;)

Return to “Artwork”