Mak Hound Challenge

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

Buffo

Re: Mak Hound Challenge

Postby Buffo » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:20 pm

Well, all I have to do is remove one of the movement frames and we'll have 6 frames. Seems easier than coding. So if you are okay with 6 frames, that's fine by me. I prefer it that way. Why? So I have one less frame of work to do for animations!

As for the muzzle, it can be removed. I just haven't uploaded a non muzzle version yet. I'm about to travel in an hour, so I'll be busy until Tuesday, but, I bought a tablet and have some art programs on it, so I'll try to get some sprite work done on my down time this weekend.
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:30 pm

After looking at the hound animation, my only issue is that the standing frame isn't natural for a dog in motion. A dog, and probably all 4 legged animals, don't have a "frame" where all 4 legs are standing straight, unlike a 2 legged animal where both legs do meet with each other.

Why do we need 7 frames of movement if the hound is still using only 6? Can't the standing frame be it's own thing and then when it moves it goes to the 6 frames of movement? Even with 7 frames, adding the standing frame, it doesn't look right with the hound. Does that make sense? Is that possible? Or does the standing frame "have" to be part of the movement animation?
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:35 pm

You have a very good point about the standing frame not being natural for a dog in motion. I didn't even think about that. So yes, we can't do our standard animation with this hound anyway. If one of the frames can be removed and the animation still looks natural and flows well, that's fine with me. Try taking out one of the frames and see how it looks.

The standing frame does not have to be part of the movement animation. That's just how we've done it for all our human sprites up to this point. (I think anyway). Actually, I'm not sure if we use the standing frame in movement animations at all now that I think about it. Here's a video of sprite movement in one of our previous releases:

I think we should leave the animation of the hound alone for now until I can go back and check how we do sprite animations in the code (its been a long time since I wrote that logic). I'll see if I can make the current sprite work, or if not what needs to be changed in order to do so. Thanks
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:33 pm

Roots wrote:2) I noticed last night that the animation uses six frames. Six frames is our standard animation for sprites. The problem is that one of those frames is supposed to be the still/standing frame, and that frame is not used in this animation. So we have one more "motion" frame than we are used to. See the reference below.

I was incorrect when I originally wrote this (the underlined portion). If you look closely at the sprite animation guide image, you'll see that the standing frame is not used in the animation. It is, however, stored in the same image file as all the animation frames for the walking animation. That's why I got confused.

This is good news because it means that it should be easier to support the mak hound animation than I originally thought it would. I haven't looked into this yet because I've been working on other things, but its on my radar and either I or someone else will get it working in the game soon (I'll shoot for the next couple of weeks).

Return to “Artwork”