Pixels. First post.

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

Psiweapon

Pixels. First post.

Postby Psiweapon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:27 pm

Hey! I saw that "ad" of sorts of yours in Roots' sig back at the Pixelation forums, which says "looking for additional pixel artist".

So here I am. I'm looking around for some projects to build up a portfolio, I followed the link to your "artwork needs" wiki page, but it is *badly* outdated.

So what are your pixel needs? If your fine right now, don't worry, I will go back from where I came :D

I'd be more comfortable drawing items, icons or something similar because I'm already making tiles and sprites for another two projects, but if you link me to some up-to-date pixel art needs, I'll browse and find something I can do, then make a couple of trial pictures so you can see if my work satisfies your needs.
Roots
Dictator

Re: Pixels. First post.

Postby Roots » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:21 am

Hi, thanks for coming. :) Yeah, its really hard to keep the wiki updated so I'm glad you recognized that its out of shape. We're actually in the process of transitioning to a new wiki because our old one is sort of broken :heh:. This page on our new wiki has a more relevant list of our needs (scroll down to the artwork section). Its not a complete list, but its close.

http://www.allacrost.org/wiki/index.php/Goal_Progress

Another good way to see what we need is to download/play the latest development release and see if you can find any glaring holes. In fact, we made a new release available just last night, which you can download here.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/allacr ... 0releases/

After installation look for the "img/" directory. That contains all of the images currently being used in the game. There's a few pieces of placeholder art in there right now and if you're up to it, I'd be awesome if you can fix those up. What comes to mind includes:

• img/tilesets/desert_ground.png (there's a cave entrance in there that needs some work to make it look nice)
  • img/tilesets/desert_cave_ground.png (two boulders: one that is "blue" and needs the colors to be updated to fit in with the rest of the tiles for that map, and one larger one that looks like a MS paint hack-job that needs to be created from scratch, at the same size)
  • img/misc/skeleton_corpse.png (a corpse that is lying face-down on the ground...I did a pretty bad job at it)
  • icons/armor/metal_shield.png
  • icons/armor/shouldered_breastplate.png
  • sprites/battle/enemies/scorpion_goliath.png

Are you strictly a pixel artist, or able/willing to do more "traditional" type art as well? All of our sprites and tiles are pixel art, but we also mix in some painting-style art as well, specifically for our icons, battle backgrounds, location landscape images, and character portraits.

I think that should give you a good starting point to look around and understand what we need. If it doesn't, or if you'd like to find something else (i didn't go over absolutely everything we need here), go ahead and say so and hopefully we can find something for you that you'd enjoy working on.
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:39 am

Hey! I took a look at the goal progress list, I'll download the game to check things and whatnot.

There are some sprites listed there I could look into making, those knights and guards stuff you say you still need. I guess you have some designs, concepts or other material of them to use as reference?

I could also try designing and/or pixelling some demons, when I've downloaded and tried the game, I'll pull some demon sketches out of my ass and post them, if you like them I'll keep working on them, if you don't, I'll move on to some other needed artwork.

I also do traditional stuff but my photoshop/painter/whatever skills are *really* rusty. And truth be told, right now I have no desire to dust them off. Plus I don't think I'd be able to mimic the style and techniques you already got in portraits and other illustrations.

On the other hand, if you're looking for some pencil or ink drawing, the kind you display over a parchment background :D I might be of some help.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:51 am

Yeah, we had talked about the knights and guards on IRC a few days ago and thought it would be nice if we could have ones with different variations. For example: knights with/without a helmet on, with/without a cloak on their backs, etc. We have a knight design that I rather like, but it hasn't been animated so we haven't been able to make use of it yet.

Take a look at the sprites in img/sprites/map and you'll see many examples with our existing sprites. You may want to start by using this template:
http://www.opengameart.org/content/anim ... prite-skin

And yeah if you want to get creative and make some demon enemies, that would be awesome. We have one other artist that has been working on that (her thread is below) but it's totally fine if you want to make some demons as well. Making enemy sprites is rather fun because you get to really be creative. I made one of my own a few weeks ago (the bat which you encounter in the game).

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5365
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:34 am

I've already checked that girl's (noroko?) manticore, cool stuff, and she really seems to know what she's talking about!

Ok. I'll start right away to sketch three demons in different styles, I'll try to keep away from "beast" demons since she's already tackled the issue from that angle, and we'll see tomorrow which kind will work best.

That base sprite looks comfortable enough, but for pixel art I'll wait till I download the game (can't right now: social philosophy test tomorrow)

I'm glad we have Chrono Trigger style movement and sprites.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:10 am

Great. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. :approve:

Return to “Artwork”