Battle Sprites

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Re: Battle Sprites

Postby Roots » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:36 am

Sorry I haven't gotten around to replying sooner. I think you bring up many valid points. To keep my response succinct so that I don't drone on, I'll just put it in a list format:

• At this time, I don't think it is worth the effort/time to go back and "toon shade" all of our current enemies (we have quite a lot actually)
  • I don't really like the toon shading style because, as you said, it doesn't fit with the type of game that Allacrost has turned into (with a more serious/dark story)
  • I am, however, completely okay with adding sprites with toon shading as place holders. I would rather have toon shaded sprites than no sprites at all. Someone who plays the game can always come along, see that the work is incomplete, and "complete" the work
  • I'm also okay with artists who may be less experienced or less interested to produce toon shaded sprites to let other artists fill in the details

I love that you used the concept art that I posted for the scorpion draft (this is what I was hoping you would do originally, in fact). I think it turned out great. :approve: I especially love the glow of the eyes. I think bioluminescence for the antennas is a great idea and would look awesome. I'd suggest making them a soft glow and not a strong neon-bright color, because they would otherwise be too distracting. The only part of the scorpion I feel a little :| about is the purple color of the carapace. I would have liked to see it a more menacing shade, since this is the first boss encountered in the game and should be a BAMF, if you know what I mean. :) If it's easy for you to swap the color palettes I'd like to see some possible alternatives, if you don't mind. But if it would take a lot of work to recolor, then don't worry about it. I don't want you to spend more time just because I'm not a huge fan of the bright purple.

Finally, I didn't know what you were talking about with your red serpent, so I browsed through your FTP directory and found where you uploaded it ages ago. Here it is:

Sylon
Artist

Postby Sylon » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:26 am

Too late. :ohnoes: Already started to re-do my crappy small snake in not only toon form, but a whole new concept too. I'm addicted, sorry. But I will spare the other sprites from being toon shaded, then. :approve:

Yay, you support toon shaded ones as placeholders at the least! So I will not feel guilty about producing unpixeled sprites! You may not know this about me, but...I am actually a map spriter at heart :angel: Some day I will move on to that, I be supposin'.

About your crits on my color of zomby's concept: I will endeavor to make the red antennas less vivid! I will provide various color schemes (another thing about toon-shaded vector images is that the color swapping is must easier). But, I am not sure what you mean by menacing tone: to me a menacing tone might be red or black (?). Blue, even?

Thanks for the serpent, yes I found him last night haha!!

Stay tuned!
-[Sylon Shanings]-, A Servant of Allacrost.
I owe my allegiance to Roots and only Roots! Hail to the dictator!

"DAD GUMMIT I NEEDA GET MY TORUS DOWN." - Sylon's art jabber
Sylon
Artist

Postby Sylon » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:08 am

So I did this color swap in like 10 minutes (I could have done more as you asked but I will take these one by one...just remember any crits you make in the color swap area are easy to do).

(I accidentally left the purple highlight on the tail tip).

One thing I remembered Tyler was that zomby's scorpion (not that he knew beforehand) stands in a way that jars with the near-isometric plane of the battlefield (which is one reason among others why I tried to design my own scorpion, but I will admit his is far better conceptually :heh: ). Does this matter to you? I know the old FF style doesn't always look...realistic. LOL. This game is not Assassin's Creed. Maybe it is fine. Because, I COULD...spend time to offset the scorpion's legs and back hump and pinchers in a way that might make him look like he's standing on the battlefield rather than floating above it somehow. But, this would take time, of course. Lemme know!
-[Sylon Shanings]-, A Servant of Allacrost.
I owe my allegiance to Roots and only Roots! Hail to the dictator!

"DAD GUMMIT I NEEDA GET MY TORUS DOWN." - Sylon's art jabber
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:21 am

I thought your original snake was awesome. If you want to make another though I sure won't stop you. I just can't guarantee that it's going to get used any time soon.

Yes, I fully support placeholders. Heck, most of the art that I create myself are placeholders because I'm not good enough yet.

Yes, I think a black scorpion would look much better. Black is the color I was thinking, or a very dark brown. A few days ago I made a crude edit to produce the map sprite for the goliath scorpion boss. Here's the color scheme that I chose. I wanted to make it a little darker than this actually, but I was afraid that if he was too dark, you wouldn't be able to make out his features.
http://sourceforge.net/p/allacrost/code ... n_walk.png

If you would rather work on map sprites than battle sprites, please be my guest. We are in more dire need of map sprites than battle sprites right now. If you want to head in that direction, let's discuss it in another thread though to keep this thread on topic.

-----

Hah, you posted another update while I was writing the above. I LOVE what you did with him. He looks so much better in that color. :approve: The only minor tweak I would suggest (and this is completely up to you) is possibly making his "freckles" less red/purple so that they blend hin better with his torso and are not so prominent. But other than that possible tweak and the antenna, I think this guy is done.

I don't think it's worth the time to make him mesh with the perspective of the other artwork. Yes, I realize that he looks slightly misplaced as a result, but we have limited time and resources (especially when it comes to artwork), so I don't think the result is worth the cost it would take for you to fix the perspective. Besides, I feel like most players will be more impressed by how he looks that they won't think twice that he looks "slightly off" with the style of the other sprites.
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:36 am

Ooooh shinies! I guess it just went for a swim or took a bath, it looks so shiny clean :heh: I do like the black version, and the purple highlight on the tail, while accidental, looks totally sweet :D
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:23 am

Yeah, I think I like the purple tail tip as well. Keep it. :)

Return to “Artwork”