My attempts at sprites

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

rujasu
Developer

My attempts at sprites

Postby rujasu » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:36 am

These aren't superb work, and they aren't much more than palette swaps of sprites we already have. Still, they could help us with the demo, and we don't have active artists currently. The animation is probably a little off, but that doesn't really matter as these sprites don't necessarily have to move around a whole lot.

First, a generic Karlate sprite. Basically, the current NPC sprite is being used as Kyle, so this could act as the replacement NPC sprite. Or something like that.

The next one I did to make a Knight Captain who would stand out in contrast to the other soldiers. I gave him bronze armor -- like I said, contrast -- and looked at some of our other sprites to come up with a decent face. Actually, I think he ended up looking more like "old retired general" than "knight captain," but it kinda fits his characterization as I see it.

Thoughts/feedback? If there's something that needs cleanup, let me know and I'll try to work on it. I'm a definite n00b at this though, so there's no guarantee that I can actually improve it.
Brian Aloisi
Writer

Re: My attempts at sprites

Postby Brian Aloisi » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:58 am

I think they look pretty good :approve: But then again, I don't really know anything about sprites.
A book must be an ice-axe to break the seas frozen inside our soul.
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:38 am

Wow, I'm actually rather surprised. These are great.

In fact they're a notch above placeholders - they're obvious 'frankensteins' (sprites cobbled together from parts of other sprites), but they're done so well that it won't be embarrassing at all to have them in game (it helps that soldiers are meant to be rather uniform in appearance besides their heads). You've really done a good job - pat yourself on the back. :approve:

As a side note, it's interesting that this sort of stuff was how I got started doing sprite art over at wesnoth. Eventually, with enough fluency working with the graphics tools*, it led to trying to make some separate body parts and props from scratch, and then that in turn led to doing whole sprites from scratch, and before I knew it I, a classic 'programmer type' was a sprite artist. :ohnoes:

* this is something one needs to grow into from easy tidbits of practice. Without being comfortable with the tools, trying to do anything that pushes your skill limits just paralyzes you. It's best to have this grow on you 'by accident' by doing lots of random tidbits of easy stuff.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:04 pm

Wow, those are awesome! I think they're good enough for our next release. I'm sure tweaking here and there could improve them, but I'm completely satisfied with how they look already. :approve:
Psiweapon

Postby Psiweapon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:44 pm

It's you who made the captain? :D

He looks ace!

Return to “Artwork”