Game Sprites:

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:18 pm

Jetryl wrote:Anyways, keeping the momentum going..

Etc:
[img:64:64]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jetryl/PCs/claudius-attack-n.gif[/img]

:cry: About 14 hrs work, give or take 4 hours. I'm quite thankful the results came out well.

One bit of good news is that, after some long thought about the matter, not only can we get away with mirroring the side-facing animations for actions with a drawn sword, but it might even look better, since the sword would be extremely foreshortened (to the point of being almost non-visible, since it would point straight at the camera), in one of the mirrorings. I think it'll look better if we just have him holding the sword in the hand closest to the camera.
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:36 am

WOW. Impressive. That is indeed smooth as hell.
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Black Knight
Developer

Postby Black Knight » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:36 am

Very good work that looks awesome :bow:
Omnium rerum principia parva sunt.
Gallivan
Team Manager

Postby Gallivan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:18 pm

Yes, I quite like his footwork!
MindFlayer
Developer

Postby MindFlayer » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:35 pm

Very nice! :D :approve:
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:48 pm

I didn't notice this at first, but NICE subtle motion blur on the right hand. The integrity of the physics of this animation is very intact.
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:56 am

Took longer to do this than it should have, since I was a butthead, and kept trying to do it with her crossbow arm sticking out to her left, which, no matter how much I tweaked it, never would look right, because it was off-balance, and always would be in that general position, no matter what I tweaked.

Once I came to my senses a few hours later, and put it in the balanced position in front of her, this was a relative cakewalk.

[img:64:64]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jetryl/PCs/laila-bob-s.gif[/img]

Speaking of cake, this may be a bit on the cheesecake side of things, but ... you know... :heh: It didn't change the costuming, so.. :angel:
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:43 pm

Awesome :D Only quirk I can see is her right wrist/hand. Her hand looks like its just dangling there lifeless, and it appears that there's a chunk of her wrist area missing. Although this just may be what it looks like because she's wearing a bracelet, or something. :shrug:

On another note, I've noticed that both Claudius and Laila are left handed (assuming the crossbow is on Laila's dominant arm). Lets be sure to have a mix of right handed and left handed characters when we get some more of these. :)
fydo
Contributor

Postby fydo » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:25 pm

Roots wrote:On another note, I've noticed that both Claudius and Laila are left handed (assuming the crossbow is on Laila's dominant arm). Lets be sure to have a mix of right handed and left handed characters when we get some more of these. :)

It's looking like they'll be ambidextrous. :)
See this quote from Jetryl a couple posts up:

Jetryl wrote:One bit of good news is that, after some long thought about the matter, not only can we get away with mirroring the side-facing animations for actions with a drawn sword, but it might even look better ...
--== fydo.net ==--
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:34 pm

Jetryl wrote:
Jetryl wrote:Anyways, keeping the momentum going..

Etc:
[img:64:64]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jetryl/PCs/claudius-attack-n.gif[/img]

:cry: About 14 hrs work, give or take 4 hours. I'm quite thankful the results came out well.

One bit of good news is that, after some long thought about the matter, not only can we get away with mirroring the side-facing animations for actions with a drawn sword, but it might even look better, since the sword would be extremely foreshortened (to the point of being almost non-visible, since it would point straight at the camera), in one of the mirrorings. I think it'll look better if we just have him holding the sword in the hand closest to the camera.

Wow I really like the momentum in this one wow.
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:48 pm

What are these going to be used for? Map-mode fighting?
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:55 pm

gorzuate wrote:What are these going to be used for? Map-mode fighting?

Yes.
fydo
Contributor

Postby fydo » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:01 am

While not nearly as good as Jetryl's animations he's been posting lately :) here is a side view of an existing sprite that Jetryl asked me to work on. I'd like to finalize it before I get working on the side-view walk animations for it.

[img:46:57]http://fydo.net/images/lady-side.png[/img]

CC, please :)
--== fydo.net ==--
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:40 pm

Only think I find strange is the pants/dress of the side view. They slant to the right big time instead of dropping straight down (this is a standing frame, so the fabric has no horizontal plane forces exerted on it). Otherwise looks good :)
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:35 pm

Roots wrote:Only think I find strange is the pants/dress of the side view. They slant to the right big time instead of dropping straight down (this is a standing frame,

In present form, a slight slant gives more of a natural shape and definition to the legs. No one's legs are absolutely straight and this is never more apparent than from a side view.

I think its pretty sweet. :approve:

(of Zeon)

Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:37 am

Here's C&C in pictorial form. Notes:
1] The far foot is visible, which makes this look -not- like a direct side view (which would be bad).
2] I did some subtle modifications to the head, and it is in fact dimorphic (e.g. different) for each direction - but the bangs are the only difference you need to draw between the two sides.
3] Lots of other little stuff that isn't worth mentioning - note that for hair, or for shading in general, if you have some texture which in the dark region consists of "a dark shade of the color next to black", when you move towards the lighter section, you can have "a light shade of the color next to a dark shade". But the trick is to actually put the dark shade, then, in the recessed spots where the black used to be. Look at the following image, which isn't really anything in particular (maybe a grooved tire viewed directly from the side?), but is intended to show this "swap" of roles for pixels.
[img:56:56]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jetryl/Art-Tutorials/interleaved-shading.png[/img]

Also - this assignment has expanded slightly - from looking at it, the north-walk frames have no movement of the dress, which they need to have.
[img:192:256]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jetryl/NPCs/woman_npc02_walk.png[/img]
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:42 am

Also, in the future, please work on these NPCs in the NPC thread (partly because it keeps everything in one place, partly because it shows the public we're making (gradual) progress:
http://www.allacrost.org/forum/viewtopi ... 2145#22145

:nono: Splitting up threads is evil. Especially because phpBB 2 doesn't have a merge threads feature.
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:04 am

Etc:

[img:64:64]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jetryl/PCs/claudius-bob-w.gif[/img]
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:13 am

Jetryl wrote:Etc:

[img:64:64]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jetryl/PCs/claudius-bob-w.gif[/img]

Great, I like the way the hair jumps up and down and the way the knees are bending
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:08 am

Safir-Kreuz wrote:
Jetryl wrote:Etc:

Great, I like the way the hair jumps up and down and the way the knees are bending

:D Thanks!

Return to “Artwork”