In-game art for the prologue

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Important development

Postby Roots » Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:46 am

Alright, I've done some research and it is indeed possible to scale SDL_Surface objects to a new size with relatively little pain. I just have to figure out how to do that, but I'll work on it. :hack: Anyways that leaves us with an important turning point that I believe we should have decided a week or two ago. That is our screen resolution.

Since we can scale images this should make the game incredibly easier to design. Instead of trying to keep in mind multiple resolutions, we can just aim for one resolution and scale the screen surface just before we flip the surface buffer to the screen. I propose we design the game for a 1024x768 screen resolution. I think it looked the best in my map demo program and it gives us plenty of room to work, while not requiring the user to have an uber-l33t monitor. I think we should also allow for scalable resolutions of 640x480, 800x600, and 1200x1024 although we should highly recommend the default resolution (I don't know if there is going to be a visible level of distortion or not in the scaled images, and 640x480 can get pretty damn hard to see). If anyone has objects to the proposed default res, let your voices be heard.

Now with this resolution we are going to need to decide on a few things. Namely:

1) Format of the tiled environment
-and-
2) Format of the battle environment
-and-
3) Format of the main menu (not the boot screen) environment

Since only #1 applies to this thread I'll talk a little about it here. Well nothing fancy. Character is in the center of the screen, there are tiles, and there are sprites walking about. When a dialogue occurs, a dialogue box is drawn at the top or bottom (I'm leaning towards bottom) of the screen. Inside the box (which will be slightly translucent) if a main character speaks his/her emoticon will pop up in the left of the box. Either the box background will be dark and the text will be light, or the box will be light and the text will be dark (former is probably better I think, but I'll have to see it first). As for the exact dimensions (in pixels) of everything I have no idea. Maybe take up the bottom 100 pixels or so for the text dialogue? I'd like 3-4 lines of text to fit in the box as well.
gorzuate
Developer

Re: Important development

Postby gorzuate » Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:10 am

Roots wrote:Either the box background will be dark and the text will be light, or the box will be light and the text will be dark (former is probably better I think, but I'll have to see it first).

I vote for the former. Light text on dark background doesn't strain the eyes and it looks good.

Roots wrote: As for the exact dimensions (in pixels) of everything I have no idea. Maybe take up the bottom 100 pixels or so for the text dialogue? I'd like 3-4 lines of text to fit in the box as well.

We just need a set size and then if need be we can have the user "turn the page", so to speak. 100 pixels / size 10 font (it's in pixels, right?) = 10 lines. That should be plenty.[/i]
Biohazard
Former Staff

Postby Biohazard » Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:39 pm

I'm working on the titles.

About boxes: Dark boxes with a little bit, but not overly much transparency & with white font. :approve:
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:31 pm

Biohazard wrote:I'm working on the titles.

About boxes: Dark boxes with a little bit, but not overly much transparency & with white font. :approve:

That sounds good, but remember that all the font/text will be rendered by code and not be embedded into the image itself. Although testing it to see if it looks good with a white font (with maybe a hint of light gray) would be a good thing. The SDL_ttf library allows you to open a TTF font and select the font size, color, and accentures (bold, italics, etc) and then returns an SDL_Surface for you to plop onto the screen in any location you'd like.
Biohazard
Former Staff

Postby Biohazard » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:44 pm

Would it be possible to do this?:

White font on top of a grey font that is 1px larger than the white font...that way we might have a good little border for our text :approve:
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:27 am

Biohazard wrote:Would it be possible to do this?:

White font on top of a grey font that is 1px larger than the white font...that way we might have a good little border for our text :approve:

yeah I think it's possible. Might take a little work but I think I might be able to pull it off. Give me a couple days and I'll see if I can't get some kind of prototype going. Sounds like a good idea too! :approve:
hamiko
Former Staff

Postby hamiko » Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:18 am

well I am a really light-coloured kinda guy ^^, so I vote for all bright color text and not so bright background, Not DARK, not so bright. i really hate dark colors. hehe
Just Taking it Easy.
Biohazard
Former Staff

Postby Biohazard » Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:23 pm

and yet your sig's background is a very dark blue :D

I think a dark brown or a dark blue background with slight transparency would work best :approve:
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:11 pm

Biohazard wrote:and yet your sig's background is a very dark blue :D

I think a dark brown or a dark blue background with slight transparency would work best :approve:

Agreed (I like the blue better). Try out various shades of brown/blue so we can make a group decision about what would work the best.

Another idea: What if there wasn't slight transparency at all, but instead every other pixel was fully transparent? I don't know if that would look good or not, just throwing another idea out there. Your call Felix :)

Return to “Artwork”