Hello, we apologize but forum registrations are non-functional at this time. This issue should be fixed around mid-December. Until then, please stop by our Discord channel if you'd like to get in touch with the team. Thanks!

christmas in advance

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

AxlTrozz

christmas in advance

Post by AxlTrozz » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:32 pm

I still don't know how the things work in game, but if by any chance we plan to have a Christmas, today I made this tree we can use it has 9 layers so I can add snow, ornaments, lights you know the rest

* this is my first post as a contributor and I'm glad to be here
Jetryl
Artist

Re: christmas in advance

Post by Jetryl » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:45 pm

AxlTrozz wrote:I still don't know how the things work in game, but if by any chance we plan to have a Christmas, today I made this tree we can use it has 9 layers so I can add snow, ornaments, lights you know the rest
Allacrost isn't an MMO like TMW, so we don't have "christmas events". However, we definitely want some boreal trees, and will want snow-covered variants. :approve:

This tree you've made has some major issues. It's not "evergreen" in color (needs to have a lot more blue in it), and also needs to be shaded a good deal differently. One major thing you should do, is separate the branches into simplified, separate branches, and merely suggest the fine details of needles. It's a major issue that early sprite artists, including myself, tend to get wrapped up in. There are certain details that are just too small to show. To make good sprite art - you actually should deliberately avoid showing them! Instead, suggest their shape with larger shapes. A very common example of this is the common RPG face - it's way too small to show a nose, so instead of drawing a nose, we make the whole nose-area of the face bulge out, slightly. I've got two pieces of reference here for you to look at.

Assignment: To make things much easier to work with, start with a tree about half the height of the one you posted. It's 4 times less pixels to work with, so it should be a lot easier. Adjust the color, shading, and branch shaping like I suggested above. Please take some heavy, heavy inspiration from the two examples I've posted - the ideal tree would be somewhere halfways between them in appearance. (note - our perspective is a lot more like the first image, just FYI. Your perspective was pretty good in the tree you made.)

Image Image
Last edited by Jetryl on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:50 pm

I'll also add that if the trunk is visible, I think it needs to be quite a bit thicker than what you have in your first draft. The trunk looks too tiny to support the weight of that hefty tree.
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:16 pm

Roots wrote:I'll also add that if the trunk is visible, I think it needs to be quite a bit thicker than what you have in your first draft. The trunk looks too tiny to support the weight of that hefty tree.

:huh: From thinking about it, we probably don't want to have the trunk visible. The revealing lower branches only get removed if someone hacks them off, or if the tree is in the middle of a 'canopy' of trees that shadows everything but the top - and in the latter case, this would mean our overhead vantage point couldn't see the bare part either - it would be the typical rpg-style (think secret of mana) "solid wall of trees".