Flower-pot prop

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

AxlTrozz

Flower-pot prop

Postby AxlTrozz » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:49 pm

I'm trying to create some flower-pots for this set, the rest isn't mine, I did 3 options,

line 4, row 5
line 6, row 3
line 7, row 3

I used the same pallete and try to use the same style

Any comment or suggestion is welcome
Roots
Dictator

Re: Flower-pot prop

Postby Roots » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:16 pm

The third pot looks a little weird, but other than that pretty good. :) Where did the rest of these graphics come from? If we are allowed to use it in Allacrost that would be great :angel:
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:25 am

Roots wrote:The third pot looks a little weird, but other than that pretty good. :)

Expect an edit shortly, with an explanation.

Roots wrote:Where did the rest of these graphics come from? If we are allowed to use it in Allacrost that would be great :angel:

:heh: Me, silly. And they're GPL.
AxlTrozz

Postby AxlTrozz » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:35 pm

this is the new version :
I'm trying to give a better shape to the 3rd version

the shape I'm trying is not common that's why can be hard to get it :
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:54 am

Excellent. I've made the following edits. Note that I consider these flower pots done now, and let's move on to other stuff. The biggest change I made was taking the flowers, which were all at the same vertical level, and made them into more of a ball shaped plume. I also added leaves underneath. Also, though I understand why you put the center dots in the flowers (to indicate the pistil/stamen, etc), that's not such a good idea, because it's trying to cram too many details into too few pixels. Same reason noses are only suggested, rather than drawn explicitly, in pixel art. Thus, I removed the dot, and made the flowers into larger blobs that suggest the whole shape of the flower, rather than individual petals.

But this was a great start, overall. :approve: Thank you very much.

This is the latest chunk of props:

For another thing to work on, I'd suggest doing as "food items", like the sausage there:
- a roast bird (turkey?)
- a roast chunk of meat
- an unsliced loaf of "old world bread" (e.g. not with the modern shape - something round or elliptical).
- a fish
- a watermelon
- a tomato
- other produce
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:56 am

:huh: In light of your previous comment - that's a cool pot shape. Maybe we can work that into a separate prop? After all, we can definitely stand to have a bunch of different kinds of plants.

I think to convey that shape, we'll need to make the pot a bit bigger. Probably about twice the size (in which case, it'll be more of a floor-standing pot, but that's fine).
AxlTrozz

Postby AxlTrozz » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:49 pm

Work in progress... I'm trying to add a carrot. meat chunk, and a fish, I'm only have the basic shapes still
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:39 am

AxlTrozz wrote:Work in progress... I'm trying to add a carrot. meat chunk, and a fish, I'm only have the basic shapes still

Looks great. The carrot and meat chunk are a perfect size - the fish should probably be shrunk down to the same scale as the carrot (because we want it to fit on a plate). Also for the fish, feel free to come up with a whole new "color ramp"*, probably light blue and such. Trying to ram that one into the existing palette might not work well (I haven't looked close enough, but at a glance it looks like your current fish is in the existing palette).

:approve: Thank you very much! I look forward to your next revision.

*Definition: a "color ramp" is a series of colors used together for shading, ranging from light to dark.

Two pixel art tips related to this:
1] Color ramps work a lot better when they're not just changing the "luminance", but are also changing the hue. It often makes things look a lot better when the color is tinged towards different colors in the highlights and the shades, only being the 'root' color in the midtones. A common one, which mimics the lighting conditions in a bright, sunny day, gives the highlights a tinge of yellow, and the shadows a tinge of purple (or blue). The reason for this specific situation is that the stuff in highlights would be getting the yellow light from the sun, and the stuff in the shadows would be getting the blue light from the sky (and none of the yellow light from the sun). Impressionist painters picked up on stuff like this, and exaggerated the color shift much more strongly than it shows up in nature; it's the source of all the wild/dreamy colors in their paintings.

2] The difference in brightness between members of a "color ramp" should be about 10% (as measured in "Luminosity" in the LAB color space - probably pretty similar in HSV or HSL). That's pretty much the sweet spot. It's just close enough to make color gradations seem smooth, and just far enough to not make the pixel art blurry. We humans can't really tell the difference between adjacent pixels that have less difference in brightness; so any shades that are closer than 10% in brightness are useless.

A lot of beginners make the mistake of picking a lot of shades, but they pick shades that are really close to each other in brightness; only a few percent apart. Don't do this, because these are too subtle to make a difference. Not only are they a total waste of shading effort, but they actually hurt the drawing, because it becomes blurry, and starts to feel 'un-pixelart-like'.
AxlTrozz

Postby AxlTrozz » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:55 pm

Jetryl thank you so much for that information, actually is the first time I know about color ramp, I'll try to apply this to my work from now :)

and here is my advance on the props,
* fish scale down a bit, added fins
* carrot colors refined
* added a finished dish (just for fun)

** Edit : added a new version (I moved the things around)
** Edit : added small roasted bird
** Edit : fish with better fins (IMO)
Image added new version>> Image
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:22 am

Very cool. I'm working on some interior tile graphics which we can test all of these props in. It's probably about time, because all of these have been made with no frame of reference - having the actual tile art will make sure that all of these fit together nicely. Hopefully, I'll have something to show for my efforts in a few days.

Anyways, if you're interested in any further suggestions:
- A teapot.
- a basket with baguettes in it. (like chrono trigger often had); theirs were usually sitting on the floor, and it wasn't clear if it was a basket, a bushel bucket, or a barrel they were sitting in.

Also, the "finished dish" was a very good idea, and looks very organic.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:26 pm

FYI, we have a "to do" list for our next release and here's all the tileset artwork we have listed so far (we're still in the process of finalizing this list).

• Outdoor desert environment with various types of sands and light vegetation
  • A large desert city, complete with building interiors. Should include a training hall and props, an inn, an item store, and an equipment store.
  • Desert cave with bridges, pits, and other features
AxlTrozz

Postby AxlTrozz » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:54 pm

Jetryl wrote:Very cool. I'm working on some interior tile graphics which we can test all of these props in. It's probably about time, because all of these have been made with no frame of reference - having the actual tile art will make sure that all of these fit together nicely. Hopefully, I'll have something to show for my efforts in a few days.

- A teapot.
- a basket with baguettes in it. (like chrono trigger often had); theirs were usually sitting on the floor, and it wasn't clear if it was a basket, a bushel bucket, or a barrel they were sitting in.

Ok, I'm on it

I never played Chrono T. so have no idea but I'll give it a Try
AxlTrozz

Postby AxlTrozz » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:05 pm

Roots wrote:FYI, we have a "to do" list for our next release and here's all the tileset artwork we have listed so far (we're still in the process of finalizing this list).

• Outdoor desert environment with various types of sands and light vegetation
  • A large desert city, complete with building interiors. Should include a training hall and props, an inn, an item store, and an equipment store.
  • Desert cave with bridges, pits, and other features

Well I did try to make a couple tileset to make some desert buildings, there where never used on the project I worked before but may be you are interested and may be we can adjust it to be use on HoA, that would be really nice because I love that tileset (Was my first project as a pixel artist)

here some pics ..

ImageImageImageImage

So if you are interested let me know so I can start a new thread with the temple buildings, as you can see is pure pixelart not paint, so it takes time to work with it
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:35 am

Nice job! I really like those tile sets you've created for the desert temple locale.
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

AxlTrozz

Postby AxlTrozz » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:40 am

Jetryl wrote:Very cool. I'm working on some interior tile graphics which we can test all of these props in. It's probably about time, because all of these have been made with no frame of reference - having the actual tile art will make sure that all of these fit together nicely. Hopefully, I'll have something to show for my efforts in a few days.

- A teapot.

Ok my first try with the teapot, I have to fix the neck but here is the WIP :

Sorry for the delay, I've been away from home the last couple of weeks
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:25 am

Likewise, I'm sorry to say that I've been swamped with various bits of work. :cry:
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu May 12, 2011 7:06 am

Jetryl updated these so I'm posting a reminder to myself here to put these in the town interior tilesheet I created recently. I'm also going to modify that urn fire animation so that there is no urn, just the fire. Then we can use that animation to set all kinds of stuff ablaze when Harrvah city is under attack. :D
rujasu
Developer

Postby rujasu » Thu May 12, 2011 9:21 pm

Good idea, I was thinking we needed a fire animation. I'd make a new tile for the fire and put it next to the one with the urn, we can use both. :approve:
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri May 13, 2011 12:37 am

Yup. I may put the fire in an entire new tileset and call it "destruction", because I can see us needing such tiles grouped together in the future.

Return to “Artwork”