Art needs for 1.0.0 release

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Art needs for 1.0.0 release

Post by Roots » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:05 pm

One of our contributors recently asked where they can help out with artwork that we need, so with that in mind I thought I'd create a thread here to list some things.

http://www.allacrost.org/wiki/index.php/Roadmap#Media
This link will bring you to our roadmap, which lists all the art (and other things) that need to be done at a sky-high view. There's a little bit of everything on here as far as artwork goes, so here's what's most urgently needed for the development release coming out next month.

Goliath Scorpion Sprite Finish
https://bitbucket.org/allacrost/allacro ... at=default

As you can see, this sprite (the first boss in the game) is incomplete and strangely colored (pink antennas). It would be really nice to have someone finish up the coloring, detail, and texturing. If you want to make the additional variations showing damage, that would be nice too. But I care most about having the base image. Adding damage frames after having a completed base image is easy to do, even for an amateur artist like myself. :angel:

Castle Interior Tiles
We only have some very basic tiles for our castle interior right now. Basically what we're using right now is this: http://opengameart.org/content/lpc-inte ... stle-tiles We need to expand what this tileset offers, and maybe make some improvements as well so that it fits better with our art style. All of our current tilesets are here: https://bitbucket.org/allacrost/allacro ... /tilesets/

The castle_greystone_interior_01.png contains most of the art from the OGA content, as well as building_interior_objects_01.png and building_interior_objects_02.png

Specifically, what I'm hoping we can add here includes:
  • A throne
  • A stair case entrance door - basically an open door on a back wall that shows stairs going up or down
  • More variations in floor tiles (we have only a singe stone tile and a single wooden tile, would like expansion on both)
  • Some objects and other furnishings for a barracks room in the castle (think poles containing armor for practice swings, perhaps some sort of set of lockers, bunk beds, and so on)
Harrvah House Improvements
Both the exterior and interior of this specific structure type look great, but also have some limitations. You can't build structures of arbitrary size with these very well (the tiles are unaligned and look horrible). The interiors can only be rectangular in shape and we don't have the ability to add interior walls and rooms. This is important to improve upon by the year end release.

Map Demon Animations
http://opengameart.org/content/more-rpg-enemies
We need some demons that are attacking the castle and townspeople. The set above is a great start and pretty closely aligned to the sort of "demon creature" we had envisioned. Unfortunately none of them are animated, so it will look rather odd having static images chasing people around. We need some animations for these, and you can use your imagination. Having either a movement animation (doesn't need to be complex) for all four directions, or an attack animation showing them swinging their swords, etc.

King Sprite
We do not have any sprite for Harrvah's king. It would be great if we could get one for the next release, otherwise we'll have to use some existing sprite instead.

Harrvah Battle Background
We need a full-sized background image (1024x768 pixels) for the battles to take place within the city/castle of Harrvah. The link below shows some existing battle backgrounds. We would need something similar to the mountain_village.png background, but change the sceneary to desert, maybe with a castle in the background, and a home more closely matching the types of homes found in Harrvah.

https://bitbucket.org/allacrost/allacro ... at=default

Here's some screenshots of the Harrvah city map as it's being built right now for inspiration:
http://imgur.com/a/ttfGE

I think that about does it for the highest priority stuff. I'm prepared to tackle some of these things myself if necessary.
Roots
Dictator

Re: Art needs for September 2015 and 2015 year end release

Post by Roots » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:38 pm

This is our current castle interior tileset. I made some placeholder art, which you can see in the middle, that looks like a big whole cut in a door and some random steps placed inside (because that really is what that is :heh: ). We need an entryway to a staircase for these two placeholders, one going up and one going down. I'm thinking a spiral staircase might look nice? The only requirement really is that you keep the dimensions of this passageway the same (or at least within a 64x64 pixel space). You can replace the wooden frame with a stone one and do whatever else needed to make it look nice. If it's too difficult to make it obvious that one staircase goes up and the other goes down, I wouldn't mind adding maybe a little up or down arrow at the center top of the image to make it obvious to the player.
AxlTrozz

Post by AxlTrozz » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:42 pm

WIP, trying to figure it out the stairs going down :huh:
Attachments
stairs.png
stairs.png (2.42 KiB) Viewed 5869 times
AxlTrozz

Post by AxlTrozz » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:05 pm

Here, let me know if you like it,
Attachments
stairs2.png
stairs2.png (3.79 KiB) Viewed 5869 times
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:17 am

Looks awesome! The only thing that I think can be improved is instead of having the wall be pitch black in there, have it be dark but still able to discern some of the wall's texture. I think you can pretty much take the stone wall tiles in the tileset image that I linked, apply a filter to make them very dark, and then stick them in where the black area is inside the passage. Does that make sense? I think that would make it look better, but I'm a really amateur artist so I don't know if the suggestion is a good one. :shrug:
AxlTrozz

Post by AxlTrozz » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:37 pm

I'll work on that, but requires to make a new version of the wall tiles. the wall creates an spiral shape for the stairs, but also for the wall. Will see how it goes.
Djinn_in_Tonic

Post by Djinn_in_Tonic » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:49 pm

AxlTrozz wrote:I'll work on that, but requires to make a new version of the wall tiles. the wall creates an spiral shape for the stairs, but also for the wall. Will see how it goes.
It shouldn't: I imagine you can just pull one into Photoshop and distort it for an effect that will look more than passable at that size and pixel resolution. Probably a lot easier, for a similar end effect.

Edit: It's really faint, so you might want a version with SLIGHTLY brighter texturing, but I don't think the lack of the perfect custom pixel curve will be noticed at any reasonable resolution.

Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:10 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't spend too much time on it. What Djinn did was pretty much what I was thinking, although as he said we might want it a little brighter so that the detail is more visible.

Also, one more thing I noticed. There's a dark black line to define the edges between steps, and it kind of sticks out in a not so good way (and seems slightly odd since the stairs are not black). Maybe these edges could be done in a lighter shade so they blend the steps together better? Just a thought. You probably know better than I do if what I'm saying makes sense. :heh:
AxlTrozz

Post by AxlTrozz » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:16 pm

Yes make sense, I'll try a lighter color for the steps edges.
I know Photoshop is always a temptation for pixel art, but I love the old fashion way.
AxlTrozz

Post by AxlTrozz » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:56 am

new version,
Attachments
stairs3.png
stairs3.png (10 KiB) Viewed 5772 times
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:01 pm

Looks perfect. :approve: I'll add this version in to the repository and begin using it right away. Thanks. :D
Roots
Dictator

Re: Art needs for 1.0.0 release

Post by Roots » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:36 pm

I'm circling back to this now. I've been forced to use a lot of placeholder art so far for things like the sprites and some map artwork. But now I'm reaching a stopping point where I can't build the maps I need because the art doesn't exist. Since we have no active artists at the moment, I'll have to do it myself.

Roots wrote: Harrvah House Improvements
Both the exterior and interior of this specific structure type look great, but also have some limitations. You can't build structures of arbitrary size with these very well (the tiles are unaligned and look horrible). The interiors can only be rectangular in shape and we don't have the ability to add interior walls and rooms. This is important to improve upon by the year end release.
I've begun working on this and will continue to do so for the next week or longer, unless someone else comes along and wants to help out. I'm making okay progress so far and spending some time looking at home interiors for other games to figure out the best way to handle internal rooms and such. Here's a general overview of what I'm doing.

1) Fix the stairs. They look great if both levels are visible at the same time, but are an eyesore when they are used as a transition between two contexts. Basicaly I'm going to add some sort of roof/cover for the portion of the stairs that is closest to the next level.

2) Fix the wall elements. The various elements (ex: columns) are aligned on odd borders and make some transitions look very strange.

3) Shorter wall variation. The walls are actually really damn tall (3-4 tiles), making the homes look almost too elegant. It also makes it difficult to do interrior walls if half of the room has to be taken up by a 3-4 tile high wall. I'm going to make a variant that is only two tiles high.

4) More corners and curves. We're pretty limited to rectangular (or nearly so) structures, which look flat and boring. Looking at other game interiors, there are lots of corners, pop outs, etc. that make the homes look more realistic.

5) Interior walls. We need a way to create "rooms" in homes.

Once this work is done (or at least good enough), I'm going to share it on opengameart.org because it could really help out some other projects. Also instead of modifying the existing tileset, I'm going to be creating a brand new one from scratch to use. This will help me better organize it, without worrying about messing up the existing tileset. :)
DannyBoi

Post by DannyBoi » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:05 pm

Ahhh Hello, It's Dan from reddit.
Image Dat's meh!
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:17 pm

Hi. So anything in particular you're interested in starting out with? We could really use some additional sprites. We have need for both animations styles (32x64 pixels) and some large static enemy sprites (64x64 pixels and up). The animations (at least, the walking/running ones) have a template to follow already, so you wouldn't need to do as much from scratch. But other animations such as attacking or defending you'd need to do with little guidance (but the tradeoff is you have more creative freedom there). The static enemy sprites can be truly awesome, and we have a lot of great ones already. There's a giant scorpion one that needs finishing (coloring/shading) as well as another boss that hasn't been started, and possibly another enemy or two as well.

If sprites aren't your thing, then we can work on some tileset artwork. I'm currently fixing up one tileset (as stated in my most recent post). Another need we have is a lot of interior art for the castle.
DannyBoi

Post by DannyBoi » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:31 pm

Roots wrote:Hi. So anything in particular you're interested in starting out with? We could really use some additional sprites. We have need for both animations styles (32x64 pixels) and some large static enemy sprites (64x64 pixels and up). The animations (at least, the walking/running ones) have a template to follow already, so you wouldn't need to do as much from scratch. But other animations such as attacking or defending you'd need to do with little guidance (but the tradeoff is you have more creative freedom there). The static enemy sprites can be truly awesome, and we have a lot of great ones already. There's a giant scorpion one that needs finishing (coloring/shading) as well as another boss that hasn't been started, and possibly another enemy or two as well.

If sprites aren't your thing, then we can work on some tileset artwork. I'm currently fixing up one tileset (as stated in my most recent post). Another need we have is a lot of interior art for the castle.
Hmmm Well usually I get confuzzled with sprites alot but I do rather like the idea of tilesets! :approve:
(also I just realised i'm over a year younger than the project)
Image Dat's meh!
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:40 pm

Alright then. First have a read through about our tileset image requirements here. Then I recommend you go here and take a look at each individual tileset image we have so far, so you can get a sense for the style, perspective, and what art we currently have.

There are two different types of tileset art you could do starting out.
Option A) Fix desert house tileset
In the tileset directory I linked above, open the file called "desert_house_exterior.png". There are a number of issues with this tileset that must be fixed. Take a look at this screenshot gallery to see how these houses look in the game right now to get a better idea of the problems. The major ones are:

1) The roof shingle tiles are not correctly repeatable. They only work if you create a house of a specific size. These must be altered so they can be used to create any size house.

2) The stones on the top of the roof. They are present for the front and sides, but not the back which looks awkward.

3) There's not enough variation for the front wall. Particularly, we have to have those two jagged window slits for every tile. We need some options to make it without the window, and also without those gray stones you see in the top left of each tile.

4) The roof tiles are awkward. We don't need so much grass everywhere on the roof. Some variations of the existing tiles without that grass would be great. Also, the two different color variations of the tile do not mix well because there's no blending of the colors (ie, a tile is either all one color or all another). This makes the "grid" readily apparent if you make a roof of more than one. I'd like to see some tiles that have a little bit of the opposite color in the middle, but surrounded on the outside by the other color.

Option B) Castle Interior Tiles
The tileset file titled "castle_greystone_interior_01.png" needs to be expanded. We need more/better floor tiles (there is only a single tile for 2 different types of flooring). We need objects that would belong in a barracks such as "lockers", benches, training dummies, etc. And so on. Basically, add here what you think you would expect to find in a castle.

When modifying an existing tileset, try not to make very large changes (moving existing tiles around in the image file). This is because there are maps already using these tilesets, and anything that is modified in the image will translate directly to the map.