Allacrost Compatible Art on OpenGameArt.org

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Allacrost Compatible Art on OpenGameArt.org

Postby Roots » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:20 am

http://opengameart.org/content/used-in-hero-of-allacrost -- Please visit this link

This is a collection of freely available artwork that we may find a use for in Allacrost. I first formed this a couple years ago and I don't think I ever shared it with anyone. Lately I've been spending some time going through various art that is available on this site and if I find something that looks compatible (or nearly compatible), I add it to this list. We're already using some of this art in Allacrost already. Currently I'm the only maintainer of this collection, but I have the ability to add others. If you're interested in helping me contribute to this collection and adding new art, let me know and I will add you as a contributor. Note that this list can also include sounds and music as well.

While its nice to create all our artwork from scratch, the reality of it is that we need to take short cuts when we can since we don't have the resources to produce all this work ourselves in a reasonable time. Whenever we need to create something new from scratch, such as a snow tileset, for example, artists should first browse through this collection to see if there's any artwork that they can pull and use as a starting point. Modifications and alterations to artwork found in this collection is strongly encouraged, so long as the license the content is made available under allows it. Let's make sure we properly respect the license that the content creators make their works available under and always remember to attribute them in the LICENSES file.
Buffo

Re: Allacrost Compatible Art on OpenGameArt.org

Postby Buffo » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:26 pm

It's official, the programmer in my other game that I['ve been a part of since 2007 has gone insane, causing me to leave.

I have a bunch of tilesheets for environments I don't have a use for. Before I go onto GameDev and seek a project that can use them, look and see if there are any you might want. They aren't highly detailed like the free ones you guys have been using from Lost Garden (every indie rpg game and their mother uses those tiles) but they are mine and no one else's lol.

They are on 1024x1024 sheets and are for use as 64x64 tiles.

I have twice as many more sheets than this on my computer, but they are an older style that I obviously never got to update before leaving my other project.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Environment%20Sheets

If not, I'll shop around GameDev later in the day to see if any other projects might use them. They were intended for a 2d MMORPG and I intend on using them again for that purpose at some point.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:10 pm

Sorry to hear about that. :( I know it must suck to put so much work into something that fizzled out. That's one reason that keeps me going working on this project despite it being around for so long. I feel obligated to not let it die and let all the work that other people put in go to waste.

Your link doesn't work (it opens my local drop box space, not yours). You should consider sharing your work on OpenGameArt.org. I'm sure that other open source projects would pick them up and be very grateful for them. I am a strong supporter of that site (if you haven't already guessed) as it makes it so much easier for projects like ours to share resources and build upon each others work.
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:01 pm

Nah, I don't intend on giving away my sheets for free. They are for any projects I may be a part of. I normally charge 50 bucks a sheet, and there are close to a hundred of them..

What is your dropbox info so you can see if you need any of them?
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:30 pm

I will send you a PM with my dropbox account info because I don't want to make it public here.

I want to make sure you've read this paragraph, from http://www.allacrost.org/wiki/index.php/New_Artists#Rights_to_Assets
Another common concern for new artists is regarding the rights of ownership over their work. No money is made by anyone working on this project, so who owns the content? The answer is: you do. Anything you make you retain full rights of ownership over, and you can do anything that you wish with your work (including using it in another project). The only condition you make for us is to allow us to use your artwork in Allacrost under an open content license (Creative Commons). This in turn means other projects may elect to use your work provided they meet the conditions in the license. We will never ask you to hand over the rights to your work.

If you're wanting to grant us a license to use your other artwork but want to prevent it from being used by other free/open source projects, we might have a problem. We don't use any proprietary content in Allacrost (code, art, or otherwise). Take a look at the Creative Commons licenses: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/ (see the bottom of the page). All of the content we used is either under one of those 6 licenses, is public domain (aka CC0), or some open source licenses such as the GPL. Here's a list of all the external content that Allacrost uses and what licenses are being used for each of those pieces of content: http://sourceforge.net/p/allacrost/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/game/LICENSES

While I appreciate your offering to let us use your work for free, I'm not sure that we can figure out a license that will keep both you and the project satisfied. It gets really hairy if we start distributing proprietary content with the game (and undoubtedly, there will be some people that ignore the licensing terms and illegally take your work for use in their own projects). I want to make sure you're aware and understand the implications of what your sharing these works may mean.

Considering that your work is in dimensions of 64x64 pixel tiles, it would need to be modified to 32x32 pixel tiles. You could provide the 32x32 versions under a CC license, and keep the 64x64 content protected. Or use your existing artwork as a base with modifications so that its slightly different and is hence a derivative work, which you can provide under a different license than the original, since you would be the owner of both pieces of content. (I took an intellectual property law class when I was in grad school, so I have a better understanding about the legal implications of this kind of stuff than most).
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:42 pm

There is no licence.

If you can use my sheets, they are yours/ours to use. If you decide to use Sheet#23, then Sheet#23 will only be used in Allacrost. At no point am I in this project for any amount of money.

I was just saying that the sheets I have were not created to be given out to the public for free. That's all.

My sheets are simple anyway, so it would take a very specific project to be able to use them. They are in no way highly detailed like Lost Gardens.

So, to reiterate, my sheets are free to use in Allacrost if you want to use any of them.
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:45 pm

As for 64x64 and 32x32, the sheets can be broken up into 32x32 sections sure, just keep in mind that, let's say a Left Turn in the grass will use two 32x32 pieces to make a 64x64 turn.

Also, scaling. I might need to scale stuff on the sheets to fit the game, and that isn't hard to do at all.

So, sheets are made for 64x64, but, 32x32 is just fine.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:28 am

Give me a day to go through these. I glanced through them earlier, but want to take a hard look and think about it. I definitely think we can get use out of some of the work. I want to focus what we need for this release and not overload ourselves worrying about what we might use someday in the future. (For example, there were lots of snow/ice tilesets that looked nice, but we won't approach that kind of environment in the game for a long time). I'll post the rest of my thoughts once I've had time to go through what you shared more thoroughly. Thanks. :)
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:22 am

Okay, then i wont go whoring the sheets around GameDev. Ill just keep them on the side for now. No hurry on deciding on them. Take your time.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:05 pm

I finally had some time to go through all your environment sheets. I selected only those that I feel we could make use of for our next release, though in future releases its certain that more of your art could be used. Here's what I selected, and where I feel it could fit:

Beach Objects
We may be able to make use of some of the rocks and plants from this set.

Beach Docks
The crates can be used. The docks might prove useful as well for the sand dock map. The docks may need some resizing and/or other changes, but we can put them in as they are now and make improvements accordingly.

Cave Sandy, Cave Sandy Objects, Cave Sandy Paths
I've proposed the idea of having an underground tunnel beneath Harrvah city for the side quest we're likely going to add. These sets would go very well with that, as this cave looks intentionally built as opposed to our existing cave map, which is more jagged and natural.

Cobblestone Walkways
I can see this being useful for the pathways in the city and castle. We already have some walkways, but I like the ones you made better.

Terrain Bushes
I really like a lot of these. I think we can take a few of these items of vegetations and add them to our existing desert tilesets to provide more interesting features to the terrain. Currently we only have some small cactus and trees for this environment.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:15 pm

http://opengameart.org/content/used-in- ... -allacrost

I spent an hour or so last night going through art on OGA and adding to our collection. I grabbed a little bit of everything: map tiles, map enemies, inventory icons, effect animations, and some sounds. Today I'm going to be adding some of this content into our repository and begin using it immediately in our maps. I think that the effect animations can really enhance our battles once we have someone actively working on that.

Return to “Artwork”