Artist Task Thread

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Re: Artist Task Thread

Postby Roots » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:21 am

Thanks for keeping us informed. I appreciate your dedication. Just don't get stressed out and think that you actually have to produce something every day. This should be fun for all of us, not stressful. :)
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:02 am

I think you missed my edit on my last post :)
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:17 am

Yes, I did miss your edit.

Buffo wrote:1) sprites/characters/soldier_npc01_walk.png: This image is complete, but we need a couple variations of it. One where the soldier is wearing a helmet. Perhaps a couple with different hair and skin colors, and so on.

You want me to take the existing sprite and add a helmet for one variation and change hair and skin color for a few other variations?

2) sprites/characters/soldier_npc01_walk.png: This image is our "knight captain". We also have need for a sergeant, who would be of a higher rank than soldier_npc01. He should have a different armor color than soldier_npc01 and soldier_npc02, and not be quite as old as the captain.

This one would be an armor color swap and to make the face younger?

3) Royal guard: this is yet another variation of our soldier_npc sprites. We need another one that serves a role as a royal guard. They should have bulkier armor and a cape. Perhaps the cape should be purple since purple is the color of royalty? Your call here.

This one would be npc_solider01 or 02 but with modified armor and a cape?

1) I realize that the number of variations can easily get out of hand here since its not terribly difficult to do a variation. Let's stick with just this set for now, and we can add more later if we feel the need:

- Base (the current variation
- Base with helmet
- Base with different hair color
- Base with yet another different hair color

We will leave skin tone and armor color the same for now. The reason for these variations is because the beginning of the game sees a large number of these knights on screen at the same time, and it looks kind of odd when they all look like identical twins.

2) Yes. I think you should take soldier_npc_02 (the older-looking knight captain) and make him look younger and give him a different armor color. Or you can start with soldier_npc_01 (standard knight) as your starting point. Its up to you.

3) Yes. You can also use the walking sprite with a cape from this post earlier in the thread as your starting point. Just make the skin tone lighter and make the helmet more standard and less "spikey". :heh: I like how the cape looks in that image, especially from the back.
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:05 am

Sorry, I got busy today. Watching video game streams for hours, lol. Otherwise I would have gotten them all done. Sometimes jigga be lazy!

Off to work!

Solider with helmet.

Suggestions always welcome.

Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:54 am

Looks good. I'm glad you kept the face open and visible and didn't include a partial/full face mask or a nose guard or other feature. I wonder if this helmet design is too basic though. It looks like they are just wearing a metal bowl on their heads. Do you think you can add a small feature or two to make it seem a little more interesting? I was really fond of the design of this helmet here with the blue stripe that goes down the center:

I don't want to get carried away though, because this should be a basic helmet with a simple design. I just want something that makes it more interesting than a "head dome", if you get what I mean. What I like to do for things like this is to do a google image search for "knight helmet" and take a look at some real historical designs for inspiration. For example, maybe the helmet could have a more pointed shape, or the area of the helmet just above the eye line has a different color (gold or a lighter/darker metallic gray).

What do you think about that? I'm fine with this design as it is and I don't want to be restricting your artistic freedom, so if you are content with this design I'm more than happy to check this off as complete.
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:05 am

sure thing! I'll probably get it done Friday since Thursday I'll be busy.
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:14 pm

New version of helmet

Buffo

Postby Buffo » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:25 pm

Here are two hair colors

Buffo

Postby Buffo » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:28 pm

Sergeant

Buffo

Postby Buffo » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:29 pm

Lastly, is this fine for the Royal Guard? Helmet and shoulder pad have spikes removed, skin is lighter and the cape is now purple.

Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:14 am

Helmet: looks much better :approve:

Hair colors: looks good.

Sergeant: wow, really love this one! :bow: Only issue I see is that on the side animations when his feet are at their maximum distance apart during his stride, there's a lot of black in between his legs. If you compare it to other sprite animations, they have some black at the bottom of this gap to represent the shadow, but are mostly transparent inbetween the legs. Can you edit these animation frames so that there's not that large amount of blackness between his legs? Other than that, its perfect.

Royal guard: looks great to me.

You are really doing an awesome job, I'm super impressed with the speed and quality of your work. You are already have a huge positive impact here and are completing assets that we've been waiting months to get done. I'm going to get your work added into the game as soon as I'm finished with some code changes that I'm working on. Can't wait to see this art in action. :D
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:36 am

thank you for the kind words!

I'm not doing anything special because I'm just taking existing art and modifying it. I do appreciate the thanks but I'm just doing bare-bones stuff.

whenever I save the sheets from the repository, sometime the area around the sprites is clear or transparent and sometimes it's pitch black. that makes hunting black pixels hard. So sorry for missing stuff.

I'll fix the shadows in between the legs, no problem, when I get home in the morning.

once I'm done with these sprites I'll tackle the environment sheets you asked for. Environments is what I like doing best!
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:51 am

Okay, vacation done, back to work!

I am currently working on the Royal Guard.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:18 am

Welcome back. Once you get this sprite done and are ready to start working on environment tiles, go ahead and create a new thread on the forum specifically for your work. We'll probably need to have more detailed discussions about map tiles so we can figure out what we have, what we need, and what we need the most.
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:51 pm

RedKnightSheetFinal.png is up on Drop box for you to grab.

I am doing some art work for people as presents until Christmas, so I'm not going to do much sprite work until Xmas is over.

When I start desert sheet tiles I'll tell you.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:13 am

I'll have a look at it, thanks. Thanks for the heads up that you'll be away for a few days. I really appreciate when people do that. Enjoy your holiday and I'll see you back in a couple weeks. :)
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:50 am

I should be away just for a few days honestly.

The sheet I made is very uneven, so I am sure I will need to fix it for you.

For instance, the walking animation up and down uses the standing animation a few times and also repeats existing frames. Off hand it's like 10 frames or something.

The left/right is the same thing but it has an extra unique frame included, which is why the sheet is extended to the right.

If you want, I can post the existing animations (from the gifs you gave me) and the frames for each one if you'd like, so you know what the order of frames are.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:28 am

Yeah, I immediately noticed that the side frames were different than the top/bottom frames. I was about to ask why when I saw the templates on this page:

http://www.allacrost.org/wiki/index.php ... Characters

Unfortunately, the templates here aren't entirely correct. The one on the left that includes a standing frame and has 5 frames for each walking animation is what we want. The templates that appear with more animations for the side are not correct. These were the only templates that I could find that our previous artist made, and I think he made these ones with the extra frames when we were experimenting.

While increasing the number of frames wil undoubtedly make the animation look smoother, the more frames we have the more work it requires to make them. That's why we settled on the format of 5-walking-frames for animating human sprites (the Mak hound you made is an exception to that rule, as you pointed out you can't make the animation look reasonably good without more frames). We've been perpetually understaffed in the artwork department for the amount of work we have, so I really feel it would be a mistake to increase the number of animation frames we have for our human sprites.

Sorry about this confusion. Would you mind modifying the sprite so it fits this format? If you need an example, look at all of the sprites in this location that have a filename that ends in "_walk.png". You may notice that some of the earlier sprites you made are already in there. :)

http://sourceforge.net/p/allacrost/code ... haracters/

If you're up to it, it would be nice to update those template images on the wiki page so that they follow the correct format. Then it will be easier for people to take those images and draw the clothes/hair/features on top to make the sprite. I would do it myself if I were skilled enough to do so. Not something you have to do, but just a thought. I'll be on vacation too next week BTW. I'll still be around, but not as active.
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:45 am

I'll get to it in a day or two sure!
rideordiestudio

Postby rideordiestudio » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:17 am

I played through the game intro and it felt so nostalgic! I really enjoyed it!
Drew Claudius really quick for fun, based off of my interpretation of his sprite.

Are there any character portraits that need to be done?
Should I stick to the pre-established semi-realistic style?

Return to “Artwork”