Artist Task Thread

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Artist Task Thread

Postby Roots » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:54 pm

This thread is for helping artists discover tasks that they would be interested in working on. If you're an artist and need some direction, post here and let us know if there's any type of art in particular that you're interested in working on. We'll match your interests with the project's needs.
Roots
Dictator

Re: Artist Task Thread

Postby Roots » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:57 pm

For Diego/Buffo:

Based on your preferences and our needs, I assembled a list for you below to select from. But first, here's a link to where you can browse all of the images we currently have for you to examine: http://sourceforge.net/p/allacrost/code ... /game/img/

Map Tiles
1) In the misc/ directory there is an image named skeleton_corpse.png. Its really crappy (because I made it). If you could make this look more realistic, that would be awesome. Don't worry about needing to keep the current orientation of the body. It just needs to be a corpse laying down on the ground and doesn't matter.

2) tilesets/destruction.png: this tileset is supposed to contain things like debris, fallen equipment, small fires, and other elements of destruction from a great battle that occurs during an event sequence. We need to add more to this tileset. Rubble, overturned carts/barrels, and so on. There's some blood stains there as well that I added, but they are kind of sloppy so if you can make them look more like "real" blood splatters, go for it. :approve:

3) tilesets/desert_ground.png: The game initially takes place in a desert, but we don't have a lot of interesting elements in our desert tileset. We mostly use the tan-colored sand tiles you see in the top right of this image. It would be great if you could come up with some additional objects to put on our desert map. For example, half-buried chests or crates, dens for snakes and other animals, small rocks, and so on.

Map Sprites
I'm really glad to hear you like making clothing and variations, because we have a strong need for that.

1) sprites/characters/soldier_npc01_walk.png: This image is complete, but we need a couple variations of it. One where the soldier is wearing a helmet. Perhaps a couple with different hair and skin colors, and so on.

2) sprites/characters/soldier_npc01_walk.png: This image is our "knight captain". We also have need for a sergeant, who would be of a higher rank than soldier_npc01. He should have a different armor color than soldier_npc01 and soldier_npc02, and not be quite as old as the captain.

3) Royal guard: this is yet another variation of our soldier_npc sprites. We need another one that serves a role as a royal guard. They should have bulkier armor and a cape. Perhaps the cape should be purple since purple is the color of royalty? Your call here.

Here are some sample sprites I found that are not currently in our repository that you can use for a basis for all these various knights and soldiers.

(I really like this one personally)

4) Mak Hound Animations - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5411
This is a really hard one, and honestly if you don't want to attempt it I wouldn't blame you. We have large creatures in our world called Mak Hounds, which are basically giant dogs that can be mounted and ridden by people (like horses, or chocobos). We already have the sideways standing frame, but the animation is only partially completed. This task would be completing the side view animations and also the front/back design and animation. To see the current sprite sheet (where the side view is just replicated for each frame), take a look here: http://sourceforge.net/p/allacrost/code ... _hound.png
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:04 pm

I'll hop on it. I work nights, from Tuesday to Saturday, so I do all of my art work during the day before or after I sleep. I am off Saturday night through Monday evening.

Okay, let's get crakin'!
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:08 pm

How many frames of animations do animated sprites in this game use? Specifically, how many frames do you want the hound to have when moving?

- edit-

Ah, okay. Six frames. I see it now.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:32 pm

I updated the sticky thread at the top of this forum. It was pretty badly outdated. it should have most of the information that you need to know. If there's anything else, feel free to ask. :)

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=190

I look forward to seeing your work. Feel free to post your work even in an unfinished state if you want feedback. :approve:
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:31 pm

Here is a rough hound animation. It is missing a frame in there and the legs need to be moved around a bit as the movement is uneven.

If this is what is acceptable for animation in this game, I will go back and refine the movement much better and fix it up. I didn't want to spend more time on something that may not be what the project needs.

Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:16 pm

Wow, so you decided to tackle the hardest thing first. Gutsy. I like it. :D Yeah, this is pretty damn good for how quickly you did it. I look forward to seeing how it looks once you've refined it. Excellent work!
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:15 pm

Here is the semi finished version. Just needs a few spots of shadow cleaning and fur correction so the limbs don't look like Pinocchio parts moving.

Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:31 pm

Looks awesome. Very impressive work. You have no idea how long we've been waiting for this animation and you nailed it in less than a day :bow:
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:37 pm

I still have to clean the fur around it's forearm, and make it's ass less, um, booty shaking.

Any suggestions would be good. Don't be afraid to tell me, fix this or do that, add this or remove that. I'm not stubborn nor do I have an ego about my work. I do what is necessary for the project.

I'll be busy tonight (going out in a few minutes) but tomorrow I'll start working on some of the other random stuff you tasked me to do.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:01 am

The only thing that looked a little odd to me was the amount of tilting that the head does. It kind of looks like the dog is trying to scoop the air with the tip of its nose. Maybe this head movement is a little too exaggerated? Of course we don't want the head to be perfectly still either, so maybe tone down the amount of head bobbing a notch or two.

Glad to hear you are open to criticism, you'll fit in well here. :)
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:52 am

Fixed the head tilt, fur along the front upper arm and rear upper leg. Added shading for back legs so they don't contrast with fore legs.

Buffo

Postby Buffo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:43 am

Just for the fun of it, here is a harness.

The muzzle is separate and the harness can be worn without the muzzle.
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:47 am

Little Skeleton Corpse

Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:00 pm

Now you're just showing off. ;) Love the harness, although I don't think the muzzle is necessary. The mak hounds are not aggressive animals (they are more like horses in giant-dog form), so a muzzle is misleading. Everything else looks great.

I like what you did for the skeleton corpse as well. The only change I would suggest is to make the skull look less cartoonish. Allacrost is a rather dark and serious story and we want our artwork to reflect that. This corpse is found within the first few minutes of starting a new game and its intention is to instill a sense of warning in the player.

Also, feel free to make your own thread on the Artwork forum specifically for your artwork. All the artists typically have their own thread here to share work, get feedback, etc. Sometimes we create threads for specific pieces as well if they take a lot of work (the Mak Hound has its own thread, for example).
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:20 pm

For now I'll use this thread to finish up the starter requests you asked me. Once I am comfortable and part of the team, I'll start my own thread.

Here are two skeletons. Looks a bit more real, I think?

Suggestions?

Also, because this project has been going on for 10 years and there is a metric shit ton of data going on (too much for me to take in at once, it'll take months) how much of this game is done? How much longer until the game is considered done? Are there any other artists working at the moment? How many people are actively working on the game at the moment?
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:33 pm

The skull size looks better now, but the shape is still kind of odd to me. I think your angle from the ear down to the tip of the chin is too steep. If the jaw was rounder, I think that would help a lot. Also perhaps consider reshaping the eye sockets so they are a little larger. Although I'm not sure if that would look better or worse, so that's up to you.

I like both colors of the skeleton and I think we can make use of both. The yellow bones are better for a recently deceased corpse that still has some rotting/decaying tissue on it, while the white "bleached" bones are better to use for a skeleton that has been under sun exposure for a long time (such as laying out in a desert for weeks).

Yes, I realize that with ten years of history it can be pretty overwhelming to come in and figure out what's going on. Here's a quick explanation to each of your questions:

How much of this game is done?
We don't have a full plan for how long this game will take and where the story will go. The game is released in a series of modules (think of a release module like a chapter of a book), one after the other. We're currently working on the first module. Nearly all of the important code is in a finished state.

In the past we've released several playable demos of the game as we gained experience and figured out what type of game this would be. So don't mistakenly believe that we've released nothing in the past ten years.

How much longer until the game is considered done?
For this release module, I'd estimate that we'll be finished with it in the first half of 2015, as long as we keep our current rate of progress.

Are there any other artists working at the moment?
Sadly, no. Unless you consider myself (I created some of the artwork...but I'm not that good). We've had some great ones in the past, but they've all pretty much moved on to other things or don't have time for this project anymore. If you know of any other artists that might be interested, by all means see if they're interested. We're not in any danger of having too much art.

How many people are actively working on the game at the moment?
Three, including yourself. Brian is working on writing and dialogue. I'm focused mainly on programming (but tend to stick my hands in everything). We're trying to find another developer and a map designer as well, which will bring our numbers to five. We also have an artist and a developer that are still "around" in that they post on the forums or visit the IRC channel occasionally, but neither of them has time to work on Allacrost at the moment.

In the past we've had as many as about 18 people working on the project, but that was overwhelming for me and I'd prefer to keep a smaller and more focused team so I can spend more time doing work and less time managing people and things.
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:03 pm

Cheeks fixed?

Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:04 pm

Looks much better. :approve:
Buffo

Postby Buffo » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:09 am

Just a minor update.

I am working on some techniques for scanning and sprite work. At work I have a lot of down time since i work nights, and I figured I could draw at work to help speed up my productivity. I've been fiddling with different ways of doing this.

If I can get this process down right, I can mass produce art faster than I normally do.

Don't worry, I don't plan on going anywhere. I'll be with the project for a long time. I feel guilty if I don't post something each day.

edit -

Let me get this straight....

1) sprites/characters/soldier_npc01_walk.png: This image is complete, but we need a couple variations of it. One where the soldier is wearing a helmet. Perhaps a couple with different hair and skin colors, and so on.

You want me to take the existing sprite and add a helmet for one variation and change hair and skin color for a few other variations?

For example;

With Helmet
Blonde Hair
Red Hair
Dark Skin
Lighter Skin

Because if you are looking for color swaps I can make as many as you want. I can give you 50 different skin tones and hair colors. If you want you can be more specific or I can jsut give you a ton of different variations.

2) sprites/characters/soldier_npc01_walk.png: This image is our "knight captain". We also have need for a sergeant, who would be of a higher rank than soldier_npc01. He should have a different armor color than soldier_npc01 and soldier_npc02, and not be quite as old as the captain.

This one would be an armor color swap and to make the face younger?

3) Royal guard: this is yet another variation of our soldier_npc sprites. We need another one that serves a role as a royal guard. They should have bulkier armor and a cape. Perhaps the cape should be purple since purple is the color of royalty? Your call here.

This one would be npc_solider01 or 02 but with modified armor and a cape?
Last edited by Buffo on Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Artwork”