old_lady thread

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

fydo
Contributor

old_lady thread

Postby fydo » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:00 pm

Hello,

I haven't yet completed anything I want to show yet, but I figured I'd establish this thread so that there isn't any duplication of effort.

I'm currently working on the old_lady spritesheet, which is an animation of this sprite here:
[img:32:64]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jetryl/NPCs/demosAndSingleFrames/old_lady1x.png[/img]

Cheers!
--== fydo.net ==--
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:15 pm

Okey-dokey. :approve:

You'll need to host these on some webspace of your own to get them to us - I'm assuming you could put these up on fydo.net, but if not that, then imageshack is a perfect place to go. If you're serious about regularly committing to the project (which is demonstrated by .. doing so), we can get you access to the ftp.
fydo
Contributor

Postby fydo » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:37 pm

Yep, I can use fydo.net for that (or any one of my other domains, hehe)

Too bad about Ranger M, all of his images were hosted on the GalaxyMage server (which has been down for quite some time) :/
--== fydo.net ==--
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Re: old_lady thread

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:43 am

fydo wrote:Hello,

I haven't yet completed anything I want to show yet, but I figured I'd establish this thread so that there isn't any duplication of effort.

I'm currently working on the old_lady spritesheet, which is an animation of this sprite here:
[img:32:64]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jetryl/NPCs/demosAndSingleFrames/old_lady1x.png[/img]

Cheers!

Cool, I am the original spritest of that character. Can't wait to see it.
fydo
Contributor

Postby fydo » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:15 am

Here's a bit of a work-in-progress shot...
I haven't done this in a while, so forgive my rustiness :)

[img:32:64]http://fydo.net/images/old_lady-rev1.gif[/img]

I tried to work in a slight limp with the cane/stick being there. The arm on her right needs to be a little more swingy I think.
I like how the legs (robes) billow out a bit as she walks, but I think I need to clean up some of the gradients down there.

Any other thoughts? :)
--== fydo.net ==--
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:49 pm

Not bad, it's hard working on a figure that can't be easy flipped, not to mention the rigidness the animation technique is. Anyway, as far as I can it's looking pretty good, what I normally do with animations is i double the size of em, so people can judge them a little better.

As far as I can tell it feels to me near finished, yet I would exaggerate the limp a little more. and put a tad bit more force to her cane, but these are only small details really.

Honestly, I think it looks great!
MindFlayer
Developer

Postby MindFlayer » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:55 pm

Safir-Kreuz wrote:Honestly, I think it looks great!

Agreed! And I'd like to notify everyone on the team: please let me use this sprite for my side-quest. I really need this old lady! :)
fydo
Contributor

Postby fydo » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:29 pm

Thanks for the kind comments. :D
I should have some more time this evening to work on it.

In the meantime, Safir-Kreuz, do you want to make a side and/or rear view?
Or do you want me to just try to interpret what she would look like from a different angle?
--== fydo.net ==--
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:35 pm

Hmm, the rear views I make with the front view, the side views are perhaps the hardest to pull off... mainly due to the fact that it's a challenge to make a genuine appearance of walking.

Just create one main frame for the side and back views.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:50 pm

Very nice! I'm impressed at how fluid the animation of the legs is :approve:
fydo
Contributor

Postby fydo » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:04 am

I think I mis-interpreted the spritesheet, the far left sprite is only shown when the character/NPC is standing still, and the remaining 5 sprites are used in the walking animation. I had thought that all 6 sprites were for the walking animation. Oops :)

So, I edited it down to 5 frames, and I've cleaned her up a little bit (added the swinging of the earrings)

[img:64:128]http://fydo.net/images/old_lady-rev2.gif[/img]

Thoughts?

Oh, just to let you guys know (and so you don't think I've died or left), I'll be away all weekend and for Monday & Tuesday of next week.

I'm still working on rear view. Safir-Kreuz, if you're bored over the weekend, I'd love to have a side-view sprite :) If not, that's cool too.
--== fydo.net ==--
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:54 am

Hey! Thats pretty nice. :D
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:42 pm

fydo wrote:I think I mis-interpreted the spritesheet, the far left sprite is only shown when the character/NPC is standing still, and the remaining 5 sprites are used in the walking animation. I had thought that all 6 sprites were for the walking animation. Oops :)

Yes, the first cell is used as a standing frame, the other five are walking frames - the second cell is the middle of the walking frames, and it's very similar to a standing frame for some of the directions (N/S). Because of this, we sometimes duplicate the second cell as a standing frame for some NPCs, but it's better to have a unique standing frame, because it tends to look much more relaxed.

fydo wrote:So, I edited it down to 5 frames, and I've cleaned her up a little bit (added the swinging of the earrings)

:hmm: I interpreted those as locks of hair, but the motion is correct for either one. Also - very good of you to take on very subtle motions like this. I'd say that it's "above and beyond" what's necessary, but actually, it's more "above and beyond" what most amateur games in this style do, and they're crap - to be as good as the classic games in this genre, we need to do things like this.

Fortunately, we are. :devil:
fydo
Contributor

Postby fydo » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:33 am

Okay, here is a rear view. (not animated yet)

I envisioned her having a large hood that extends down quite a ways in the rear. What do you think?

[img:32:64]http://fydo.net/images/old_lady_rear-v1.gif[/img]

C&C (and edits) are welcome!
--== fydo.net ==--
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:15 pm

fydo wrote:Okay, here is a rear view. (not animated yet)

I envisioned her having a large hood that extends down quite a ways in the rear.

That could work - there's a lack of apparent "volume" to the torso section, since I think she'd be hunched a bit forward (meaning the back wouldn't have such a large area of shade), but it should be rather straightforward to fix.

fydo wrote: What do you think?

I think that I'll try and tweak this, and also provide standing images for the side views, as soon as I can (e.g. if not tonight, then tomorrow). You've been doing good work, and it's time for me to help. Thanks. :approve:

fydo wrote:C&C (and edits) are welcome!

Thank you. Coming in with humility, and without an over-inflated sense of entitlement, means that you'll actually be able to get results, the first time, that are "as good as they get" for our project. It's probably rather educational, and it's also much better in terms of putting your work to good use. And most importantly, it's the best recipe in terms of "getting stuff done" for the project.
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:25 am

Here's one of the side views - you may be able to derive the other one from this, since the changes are fairly minimal (with the exception of drawing in the new arm). I'm not quite sure what she's doing with that other arm - I'd be game for her having it in a pocket. :shrug:

[img:64:64]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jetryl/NPCs/demosAndSingleFrames/old_lady-side.png[/img]

Safir might want to take a look at this, and apply any tweaks he sees fit. I tried my best, but when two people work on something, they can generally achieve a level of polish they could not, alone.
turin

Postby turin » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:53 am

What I assume is supposed to be the earrings/locks-of-hair looks like a beard from the side. I don't know a quick fix for that, though... it looks like the hair should look, it just can easily be mistaken for a beard. :? Other than that it seems good.
I am Turin Turambar, Master of Doom, by Doom Mastered.
Also a general meddler at the Wesnoth forums.
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:42 am

turin wrote:What I assume is supposed to be the earrings/locks-of-hair looks like a beard from the side. I don't know a quick fix for that, though... it looks like the hair should look, it just can easily be mistaken for a beard. :? Other than that it seems good.

Emphasis mine.

Though, the only beard it would look like is a neck-beard (or mutton-chop combo), since the face protrudes in front of the beard. With all actual, normal, chin-beards, they stick out further than the rest of the face, with the sole exception of the nose.

So, like I said with the "emphasis mine" - it can't be helped that two things have the same profile from the side. You draw them the way they should look, regardless of anything else they might look like. In this case, context (of the alternate directions this unit faces in), and movement (the flopping of the hair will look very different from how a beard would move) should make it clear that this is hair, and not face pubes. :angel:
fydo
Contributor

Postby fydo » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:54 pm

Looks good to me, Jetryl. :approve:

I should have some time this evening to work on the side view walk animation. :)
--== fydo.net ==--
fydo
Contributor

Postby fydo » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:47 pm

Been swamped with stupid work stuff lately, so I haven't had a whole lot of time.

I did manage to work on the arm movements of the side view (It might need a little more tweaking though)

[img:32:64]http://fydo.net/images/old_lady-side-rev1.gif[/img]
--== fydo.net ==--

Return to “Artwork”