Geometry and isometry of the world " Hero of Allacrost

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

Mellonkhv

Geometry and isometry of the world " Hero of Allacrost

Postby Mellonkhv » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:05 am

Hello. At once I ask to forgive me for bad English language as I write to you through the electronic translator. Has decided it to make, after has looked yours Screenshots and has been strongly surprised to that the world in game looks so flat though how much I know pixelart allows to draw district with full effect of volume.
[img:1024:768]http://www.allacrost.org/media/screenshots/screen_03a.jpg[/img]
It is necessary to observe rules of an isometry only. And now you forgive, such sensation, that on the screen were passed by a skating rink.

An example:
[img:512:275]http://www.gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/pisci9.gif[/img]
[img:156:113]http://www.gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/f9.gif[/img]

isometric pixelart tutorial

Or to work though somehow with shadows, in that cases if the isometry does not approach you basically. Besides the arrangement on "ground" of details which will visually drop a landscape, also will positively affect a general view.

An example:
[img:258:225]http://www.gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/5-2.gif[/img]
[img:245:257]http://www.gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/5-5.gif[/img]

And still, I do not understand, why you have decided the menu to draw not in the same style as game. As it seems to me, but this my personal opinion, that it as though from other game.

I thank for attention.

P.S. But all is drawn is simply remarkable.
P.P.S. And still I am sorry, if has written not in that branch of a forum :angel:
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:23 pm

We intend to implement shadows in the future.

However, we intend to make them as a dynamic engine feature, rather than something cemented into the artwork. This won't be a simple alpha-blend of black onto the underlying images, rather I'd like to make them colorful, like the shadows in the SoM3 screenshot you posted.

The color in such a situation comes from "secondary lighting" - the light from the sun is yellow, and illuminates the bright half of an object - the shaded half is not jet black, because there's a considerable amount of other light hitting it; part of this comes from the ground surrounding it, most of this comes from the blue sky above. The resulting illumination is blue/purple, and impressionists (from which the "great SNES tile artists" took this trick) noted that this can look pleasing when exaggerated, even to ridiculous lengths.
Mellonkhv

Postby Mellonkhv » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:47 am

It very much pleases. Nevertheless you could not give the comment in occasion of me told:
"And still, I do not understand, why you have decided the menu to draw not in the same style as game. As it seems to me, but this my personal opinion, that it as though from other game."
eleazar

Postby eleazar » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:38 am

Jetryl wrote:We intend to implement shadows in the future.

A quick, fuzzy, generic elliptical shadow under the people would be a solid start.
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:06 am

Mellonkhv wrote:It very much pleases. Nevertheless you could not give the comment in occasion of me told:
"And still, I do not understand, why you have decided the menu to draw not in the same style as game. As it seems to me, but this my personal opinion, that it as though from other game."

I'm confused by what you mean. Can you elaborate? I think the menu fits the style of the game very well. In fact, I don't think you can separate the two when speaking about style. They combine together to give the game an overall style. And I think they go together very well.
Mellonkhv

Postby Mellonkhv » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:48 am

gorzuate wrote:
Mellonkhv wrote:It very much pleases. Nevertheless you could not give the comment in occasion of me told:

I'm confused by what you mean. Can you elaborate? I think the menu fits the style of the game very well. In fact, I don't think you can separate the two when speaking about style. They combine together to give the game an overall style. And I think they go together very well.

Allow not Allow to disagree, though this my personal opinion on which I do not insist.

Whether eventually simple voting can solve someone thinks so still.

Return to “Artwork”