Item/Weapon/Technique Icons

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

qubodup

Postby qubodup » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:48 am

Jetryl: When I made the color remix, I was only aware of the one potion icon in the demo (I had seen the others before in this thread, but have since forgotten)

When I posted, I already understood that the standards here are higher than just taking one image and shifting the colors in it.

Still there might be some use for it, if not in this game, maybe in another. =)

Question: How do you people make these graphics? Via GIMP/PS? Are they hand-drawn, scanned and then colored? If yes - are the drawings available? (I suppose having access to the 'source' would make 'remixing'/modifying easier plus some of the newbs like me could learn a thing or two just by looking.)

PS: Good to know the art is GPL.

PPS: Are there tutorials here or in the wiki? Besides http://allacrost.sourceforge.net/wiki/i ... _Standards ?

PPPPPPPPPPS: Ok I found the tools of an artist thread but still am curious weather you artist guys provide or would provide the 'sources' =)
Jetryl
Artist

Re:

Postby Jetryl » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:53 am

qubodup wrote:Question: How do you people make these graphics? Via GIMP/PS? Are they hand-drawn, scanned and then colored? If yes - are the drawings available? (I suppose having access to the 'source' would make 'remixing'/modifying easier plus some of the newbs like me could learn a thing or two just by looking.)

I paint them in photoshop; typically all in one layer, except possibly for light flares, etc.
Roots
Dictator

Re:

Postby Roots » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:34 pm

Roots wrote:Would anyone be interested in doing an icon for drunes (the game's currency)? I'm thinking of a few small, grey/silver, shiny (but not polished), half ellipsoid (raised center) coins falling out of a small brown sack would do the trick nicely. It would be nice to have an icon for money and use it regularly rather than just presenting the player with "you have XXX gil" like other games do. It would give a sense of substance I feel :approve:

Re-iterating this request. The icon format has to be the same as items/weapons/armor.
Roots
Dictator

Re: Item/Weapon/Technique Icons

Postby Roots » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:44 pm

http://allacrost.svn.sourceforge.net/vi ... iew=markup

Added a place holder icon. I found a free image here: http://search.freegamedev.net/artitems/view/432733 , fiddled with the coloring, and applied scaling to fit our standard icon size. Its good enough for now but I definitely think there's room for improvement here. But now we can present an image of currency instead of just saying "### drunes". :)
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:25 am

Roots wrote:http://allacrost.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/allacrost/trunk/demo/img/icons/drunes.png?revision=1539&view=markup

Added a place holder icon. I found a free image here: http://search.freegamedev.net/artitems/view/432733 , fiddled with the coloring, and applied scaling to fit our standard icon size. Its good enough for now but I definitely think there's room for improvement here. But now we can present an image of currency instead of just saying "### drunes". :)

Actually, that looks great enough to ship. Sorry about missing this post.

If you think a small pixel representation would look better (it might fit much better, since it's less-than the height of a line of text), I'd also made this for practice; I'll happily public domain / gpl this image as it is:

The coins are really close to the lower-right corner, just to the left of the leaf.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:36 pm

I've been able to get the drunes image to fit by scaling it down to 0.5x (30x30 pixels) in the game. Its really easy to do and it still looks great. I've been doing that for other items in the treasure list and it works quite nicely. I'm about to implement the same feature in the shopping list. Oh, and I'm going to make use of category icons too. Are these the ones I should use?

I don't know what the one in the top right is supposed to represent though...key items? It looks like a mug of beer sitting on top of some scroll paper. :huh: It looks like we're missing a category icon for standard items there. As a reminder (since I forgot myself), the list of inventory object types in Allacrost include: items, weapons, head armor, torso armor, arm armor, leg armor, shards, and key items. It might be nice to also have a category icon that represent all types since we have that type selection option in both shopping and menu mode. But I don't know what a good representation of all types would be. Its just an idea though, not something that we necessarily need.
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:51 pm

Roots wrote:I've been able to get the drunes image to fit by scaling it down to 0.5x (30x30 pixels) in the game. Its really easy to do and it still looks great. I've been doing that for other items in the treasure list and it works quite nicely. I'm about to implement the same feature in the shopping list. Oh, and I'm going to make use of category icons too. Are these the ones I should use?

I don't know what the one in the top right is supposed to represent though...key items? It looks like a mug of beer sitting on top of some scroll paper. :huh: It looks like we're missing a category icon for standard items there. As a reminder (since I forgot myself), the list of inventory object types in Allacrost include: items, weapons, head armor, torso armor, arm armor, leg armor, shards, and key items. It might be nice to also have a category icon that represent all types since we have that type selection option in both shopping and menu mode. But I don't know what a good representation of all types would be. Its just an idea though, not something that we necessarily need.

The one on the upper right is key items; it's special tidbits related to the story. In my imagination, it represents you reading over a special letter from, say, the king, that you have to deliver to some person or something. And represents how a disproportionate number of rpg events happen around inns and taverns. I don't know - that's what I was thinking when I drew it; it might not be perfect.

I don't have time to edit these right now, just use what we've got for the moment, and we can clean them up later.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:02 am

Tonight I made category icons for standard items and one to represent all categories. This was needed for the shop code that I've been working on. Neither is perfect, but they are sufficient placeholders for now. I'll provide a link once I've uploaded it.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:30 am

http://allacrost.svn.sourceforge.net/vi ... iew=markup

There's the updates I made. The items icon is top left and the all objects icon is bottom left. As you can probably tell I just copy and pasted together various other icon images. Good enough for now, but they could be a little better.
eleazar

Postby eleazar » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:01 pm

I'm not sure if you guys need spell attack icons, but i'm working on a set over at Open Game Art in a similar style to the Wesnoth attack icons.

Header1.jpg
Header1.jpg (75.44 KiB) Viewed 4604 times

http://opengameart.org/content/painterl ... ons-part-1

header2.jpg
header2.jpg (66.92 KiB) Viewed 4604 times

http://opengameart.org/content/painterl ... ons-part-2
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:51 pm

eleazar wrote:I'm not sure if you guys need spell attack icons, but i'm working on a set over at Open Game Art in a similar style to the Wesnoth attack icons.

I think we will need spell icons at some point. Thanks for sharing your work with us, I'm sure we will find a way to make use of it at some point. :approve:

Return to “Artwork”