Harrvah Tileset, take 2

For discussing and sharing all forms of artwork related to the game

Moderator: Staff

Anon Imus

Postby Anon Imus » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:22 am

I really like the house (with the exception that odd structure between the arch and the side of the house) and I don't think the decorations are a big problem.
Each area has its rich people and poor people and the house is a perfect a rich residence. You can make it poorer by striping out more and more of the decorations.
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:59 am

Took a lot of tweaking to match danc's edging scheme, and is still very much a WIP, but here is a replacement for my old desert road tiles that I profess so much to dislike; a replacement that fits the "new and final" tiling style.

It tiles with the basic dirt tile; eventually, the "basic dirt tile" is going to tile with a new version of the sand that doesn't require any overlay tricks. The "basic dirt tile" is going to be the glue that ties all our tilesets together, and allows them all to be used in the same map; we can make other tiles do the same thing as well, but it's as good a candidate as I could think of - dirt is in every climate region of the earth.

The top half is danc's road tile for the "mountain village" tileset, below is my "cobblestone" tile for the desert tileset. I still have a lot of work to do, I just wanted to help keep the spirit up by showing a decent indication of progress.

[img:128:192]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jetryl/Map-Tiles/Desert/cobbleStoneWIP1.png[/img]

More to come... :D
Rain
Musician

Postby Rain » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:29 pm

Wow. I think both of those are excellent. I especially like the texturing of the cobblestone. Looks fantastic. :approve:
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:35 am

The above cobblestone tiles have been finished with a full set of variations like the stone tiles; I'll pack them into a proper tileset when I get a few more things done. It'll be a direct, desert analog to:
http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/roo ... n_town.png

I am currently tackling a new version of desert cliffs. These use the exact same tiling scheme as the mountain/grass cliffs, except these are a rather different rock formation, and have no plants, making them suitable for use in a desert. Rather than being implicit, I explicitly state that my old desert cliffs are deprecated when these get finished - we'll call the old ones a "study".

I still have to finish the other tiles in the set, and the dirt tiles won't be burned into these images, but here is a preview:
[img:128:128]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jetryl/Map-Tiles/Desert/cliffsWIP1.png[/img]
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:43 am

Desert Cliffs:

:angel: I think I've worked all the tiling issues out of this, but when we actually take these into a map editor and shuffle them around, some new ones may crop up - fortunately they should be relatively trivial fixes. In terms of "chunks"/"tiling-schema", these are identical to the mountain-village cliffs.

Unless there are any of the aforementioned bugs, this is finished. :approve:
Again, I'll jam these into a "proper tilesheet image" ... later.

[img:480:320]http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jetryl/Map-Tiles/Desert/desert-cliffs.png[/img]
eleazar

Postby eleazar » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:58 pm

nice. :cool:
Can you make taller cliffs from these tiles?
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:14 pm

eleazar wrote:nice. :cool:

Thanks!

eleazar wrote:Can you make taller cliffs from these tiles?

:sad: No; it's a weakness shared (afaik) with the mountain/circlegraphic set of cliff tiles.

However, it's probably something that can be fixed retroactively, without too much effort; for both tilesets.
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:02 am

:huh: Prognostication on what more we'll need for the prologue:

• a modular harrvah house (big, ugly job)
• a interior of a harrvah house (Not-so-ugly job).
• Desert plants (tried making some before, sucked at it)
• a new version of sand, which doesn't need any special engine features (overlay) to look good.
• various props for the town - lamp-posts, signs, carts, etc. (easy to do)
• Ground terracing and stone stairs, for the interior of the city.
• water (I think I'll just do a basic job on this for now - this would be a great candidate for not animating by hand, but animating by openGL instead.).
• City walls and gates.
• Harrvah palace interior.

Can anyone think of anything else?
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Tue May 15, 2007 4:10 pm

Question:

In this screenshot below, I assumed that this was Harrvah, Yet, what I find odd is that it's a desert town with both grass and coniferous trees... That just for some reason feels completely out of place, especially conifers.

Now I do know that we will have other towns, and this is probably just to show off tile and sprite work... Perhaps someone can direct me in the direction of what true Harrvah looks like. So I can get the right idea of how to make the town battle background.

[img:300:225]http://www.allacrost.org/media/screenshots/screen_03a.jpg[/img]
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Tue May 15, 2007 7:07 pm

Safir-Kreuz wrote:Question:

In this screenshot below, I assumed that this was Harrvah, Yet, what I find odd is that it's a desert town with both grass and coniferous trees... That just for some reason feels completely out of place, especially conifers.

Now I do know that we will have other towns, and this is probably just to show off tile and sprite work... Perhaps someone can direct me in the direction of what true Harrvah looks like. So I can get the right idea of how to make the town battle background.

Actually, you would be making a background for THIS town, not for harrvah.

We don't yet have much of the tile art for harrvah, and we really haven't ironed out exactly what it looks like (although you could help with that, if you want, though we should probably wait on that till after you make a backdrop for this town.). For now, I'd wait on harrvah, since it's not going to be featured at all in the 0.2.0 demo.

Making harrvah tiles, and figuring out what it even looks like, is one of my next big challenges, since that's directly needed for the prologue.
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Tue May 15, 2007 9:01 pm

Isn't this town in the process of being burned or is that Harrvah?

I am glad to know that :) Now to remove, cacti.... :(
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Tue May 15, 2007 9:24 pm

Safir-Kreuz wrote:Isn't this town in the process of being burned or is that Harrvah?

I am glad to know that :) Now to remove, cacti.... :(

This town is what will (probably) be the second chapter of allacrost. It's in a much more temperate area to the east (?) of Harrvah. It's a much busier, more cosmopolitan community than harrvah, though it's still guarded by the same order of knights.

The city is *not* under attack, but there probably will be some scuffles in-town, so it would be worthwhile to have an in-town battle background.

You are correct that Harrvah is under assault by daemons, in the prologue of the game, and some of its buildings are burning.
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Postby Safir-Kreuz » Tue May 15, 2007 9:44 pm

Alrighty, thanks for the fast reply.

Return to “Artwork”