...I think we should hire a graphics programmer

For discussion of the code running behind the game

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

...I think we should hire a graphics programmer

Postby Roots » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:19 am

Yeah ummm, this OpenGL stuff? It sucks. It sucks a lot. At first I thought I was getting somewhere and then I read some weird stuff like "all image textures must have height and width in powers of 2" and "minimal texture size is 64 pixels, max is 256 pixels). All I can say is WTFWTFWTFWTF??? :cry:

Apparently there are some workarounds for these limitations, but I don't know many of the details. Basically what I'm saying is this crap is way beyond me, and I think even if I spent the countless hours required to get it working correctly it would suck. It would suck HARD. So yeah I wanted to let you guys know that. If any of you know a good graphics programmer with significant experience in OpenGL, kindly point him or her in the way of the site would ya? :D

For the time being, I'm going to commit the old video code that doesn't use OpenGL, and we'll use that temporarily until we find someone to handle this daunting task. I'd rather focus my efforts on doing things I can than teaching myself an entirely new subject from scratch. :hack:
hamiko
Former Staff

Postby hamiko » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:10 pm

hum, I'll see what i can do xD
Just Taking it Easy.
Balthazar
Former Staff

Postby Balthazar » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:30 am

Hi, my name is Tim, and I"m a DirectX programmer, which, since about version 7 when they totally ripped off OpenGL, has become pretty much the same thing.

Seriously, everything you said made sense to me. Obviously, I can't jump right in, as there are some subtle differences. But if I grab a book and some tutorials, I'm pretty sure I could hack through it.
"Homogenized?  No way, I like the ladies."
60 Tauren Shaman
31 Orc Warrior
21 Tauren Druid
18 Night Elf Hunter
12 Orc Warlock
Other various abandoned alts.
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:20 pm

Balthazar wrote:Hi, my name is Tim, and I"m a DirectX programmer, which, since about version 7 when they totally ripped off OpenGL, has become pretty much the same thing.

LOL

Balthazar wrote:Seriously, everything you said made sense to me. Obviously, I can't jump right in, as there are some subtle differences. But if I grab a book and some tutorials, I'm pretty sure I could hack through it.

Go for it Tim! Let me know if you need any help, ummmm not that I'd be of much help with something I've never seen before...
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:26 pm

Tim, once I get my internet connection at home back up (who knows when that will be...) I can give you two electronic books that cover OpenGL very thoroughly (dubbed 'the red book' and 'the blue book'). We'll talk about this more later when I have time, but I'm on the UT campus right now and I'm pretty busy so...yeah ;)

EDIT:

Also Tim, the main reason I didn't consider this before (other than not knowing how similar DirectX was to OpenGL) was that its going to be a lot of work, and you already have the battle segment which is a lot of work itself. I don't want you to give you more work than you can handle, so that's why I thought it would be prudent to hire another programmer. But hell, if you really think you can do all of this without putting any serious strain on your life, I'm down with that. But don't complain about it later :devil: ;)
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:14 pm

FYI: I have put ads for this position out on the gamedev forums as well as a help wanted list on Sourceforge. I don't think it's going to be easy to get a 3D graphics programmer interested in a 2D project though... :cry:

Return to “Programming”