Map Code: Ideas, suggestions, improvements

For discussion of the code running behind the game

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Re: Map Code: Ideas, suggestions, improvements

Postby Roots » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:49 pm

Sounds good to me. I think we'll need to extend the EventSupervisor class so that it keeps track of all sprites that are currently being controlled by an event. Then we can add a call to say "SpriteReleaseControl" or something where you pass in the function the ID number of the sprite, and if its being controlled by an event, that event is terminated. Any child events that it normally launches on termination will not be called, so that we can break out of the event loop that is controlling the sprite. Then we can do whatever we need to do to the sprite, including having it be controlled by a new event (that may also be an event loop). I think that will be the core feature that we need here.

How is pathfinding going though? Getting the issues with that fixed is higher priority than this, because we can pretty much script sprites however we wish right now (just not as nice as it could be done). I've been waiting on this before I go back to my maps and improve the scripting there. I especially need it to be solid for scripting the set of scenes leading up to the boss fight.
nemesis

Postby nemesis » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:24 pm

Path finding was works well for now with the workaround I've implemented. Path through very narrow regions (one tile) will not be found but everything else should be okay. Bertram wanted to work on this so I will keep my hands from this.

I implemented the dialogue indicators (wanted something I don't need to think about ;) ). So as you promised, go ahead to remove the placeholder images I've done. :angel:

But I want to start a thread in the Artwork forum about this.

EDIT: The bar is not a very good symbol for the last line. Does someone have a better idea?
Bertram

Postby Bertram » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:29 am

Hi, :)

Path finding was works well for now with the workaround I've implemented. Path through very narrow regions (one tile) will not be found but everything else should be okay. Bertram wanted to work on this so I will keep my hands from this.

Indeed. Just note that I'm not far from providing a second (and hopefully final) candidate to the battle formation code, with two different formations for now.

I'll be on improving the pathfinding code after that, but we have to get to know each other first. :hack:

Best regards,

Return to “Programming”