Battle Code: Doing It Right

For discussion of the code running behind the game

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Re: Battle Code: Doing It Right

Postby Roots » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:46 pm

Sorry I haven't given you a response yet to either of your long posts. I've been busy and just haven't gotten around to reading them through yet, but I will eventually. Also could you move your post on the map code changes to a more appropriate thread so we can comment on them there? Thanks
Bertram

Postby Bertram » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:35 pm

Hi,

Do I have the access to do so?

Best regards,
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:18 pm

You can just click the "edit" button and copy the entire contents of your post to the appropriate location, and make the post in this thread have a note saying "moved to (link)" or something.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:10 pm

Okay, I finally got around to reading through your post on enemy sprite placement. In general I like what you've done. The one issue I have is that it seems your algorithm wants additional inputs such as the type of enemy (warrior/mage) and the requested formation. I don't like this, because its more data definitions that we have to do for each enemy and each group of enemies for every battle. I just want the placement to be determined only by using these three inputs: # of enemies, ID of each enemy (for checking for multiple sprites of the same type), and image size of each enemy sprite. Also I see in one of your images that a sprite was drawn in the area of the stamina bar. We definitely want to avoid doing this, but it may have just been a test case since there's a ton of enemies in that particular shot. I think that a warning should be printed if the algorithm has insufficient space to add all enemies and should exclude adding enemies that it can not fit.

I do like the idea of different formations though. I would suggest that for now, the algorithm should select a random formation to use. Maybe later we can add a function to request that the battle use a particular formation, but such a function should be optional. All around, great work. If you do sufficient testing with the battles in the cave and they all look okay to you, I think you should go ahead and commit what you have there. :approve:

Return to “Programming”