Getting started for new programmers

For discussion of the code running behind the game

Moderator: Staff

EmreBFG
Team Manager

Re: Getting started for new programmers

Postby EmreBFG » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:13 am

rujasu wrote:
gameretch wrote:Greetings team. I would like to join your team in behalf of enhancing my skills as a computer programmer. I am currently possessed with knowledge of C/C++, Java, Lisp, Scheme, PHP, Perl, and Python, Object-oriented programming, dynamic programming, Advanced mathematics, Physics, and Design and Analysis of Algorithms. I am currently a university student in the philippines and a tutorial volunteer in my institute. Experienced in Programming contests such as ACM-ICPC, ICCF, and whatnot. A consistent dean's lister. And finally, a strong interest in games.

Hello gameretch. Thanks for your interest in joining the team. Unfortunately, development is currently at a standstill because we've lost contact with the site owner, and other members of the team have not been active as of late. I encourage you to get involved with other open source games you're interested in, or consider the Allacrost engine as a starting point for your own game. Best of luck to you.

rujasu,

By site owner, do you mean Roots? Or do you mean the individual responsible for the website.

Emre
rujasu
Developer

Postby rujasu » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:39 am

EmreBFG wrote:rujasu,

By site owner, do you mean Roots? Or do you mean the individual responsible for the website.

Emre

Hey Emre,

I mean Roots. I have access to the webmaster account and forum admin powers, so I can handle some maintenance stuff, but Roots is actually paying the bills. The site hasn't disappeared or anything, so I guess he's still paying or has paid in advance, but he hasn't been in communication with me or with anyone else from the team in months.

Thanks,
Rujasu
EmreBFG
Team Manager

Postby EmreBFG » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:02 pm

rujasu wrote:Hey Emre,

I mean Roots. I have access to the webmaster account and forum admin powers, so I can handle some maintenance stuff, but Roots is actually paying the bills. The site hasn't disappeared or anything, so I guess he's still paying or has paid in advance, but he hasn't been in communication with me or with anyone else from the team in months.

Thanks,
Rujasu

Rujasu,

Ahh, I see... That's unfortunate :( Is there somewhere that I can read the current state of the project in terms of completion rates? Or can you provide a general overview? It seems the engine is mature (or close) but the actual "game" is in its early phases.

Emre
Bertram

Postby Bertram » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:02 pm

Is there somewhere that I can read the current state of the project in terms of completion rates? Or can you provide a general overview? It seems the engine is mature (or close) but the actual "game" is in its early phases.

Hi Rujasu,

I second that request. Getting (even slowly) organized on fixing stuff and preparing the story beginning could revive this project must more easily than we think ;)

Best regards.
rujasu
Developer

Postby rujasu » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:24 am

Sorry I'm being so slow to reply to this stuff. I haven't been finding much time to pop in here, and when I do I'm usually just cleaning up spam accounts.

EmreBFG wrote:It seems the engine is mature (or close) but the actual "game" is in its early phases.

Basically. The engine isn't without its flaws, but it works and can do the important stuff. And we have enough art to make a decent portion of an RPG. If you look at the two most recent demos we put out, there's a lot of art and music to work with, though more is needed for something truly polished or complete. There are sprites and portraits for three major characters. Obviously, a lot of maps, scripting, dialogue, skills, and items would still need to be added.

I'd love to see someone do something with this engine; it really is powerful and mature, though it is a bit tricky to get the hang of since it's bloated and not very well-documented. I'm reluctant to do anything with the Allacrost concept though, since it has always been Roots' baby, and I have no idea if he'll ever show up to finish what he started. I considered starting a new project with the Allacrost engine and different characters, but at the moment I'm working on a separate RPG project* that will leverage a different engine.

At this point, if someone wants to do something with the Allacrost engine, I'd be happy to help support the codebase, since I do know it fairly well. I'm not the guy to lead such an endeavor, though; I have too many other things on my plate right now.

*Whenever there is a website or similar for the project, I'll let you all know, in case you're interested in checking it out.
nicknameminivan

Postby nicknameminivan » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:30 pm

yes the engine is great,

it is used in the game

8000 - battle for the open source

we have great artworks and animations:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/eight ... c8824b3d3c

and a homepage with a trailer ;D

http://www.eightk.org/
blDraX

Postby blDraX » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:01 pm

So my first little task was to fix the text position / alignment problems in the key and joystick menu.

I also fixed a bug there which caused the cursor to jump around weirdly because there seemed to be one more option than rows in the menu.

Patch file is attached, hope that is what you expected, Roots. :)
Attachments
patch.zip
(556 Bytes) Downloaded 171 times
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:13 am

Looks good to me. Tell me your sourceforge alias and I'll give you SVN access, then you can commit these changes. I've come up with a couple of more interesting and challenging things for you to do next. :D
blDraX

Postby blDraX » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:05 am

Hi hi,
my sourceforge username is olivernaumann. :)
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:02 am

You now have access. Commit away. :cool:
nan

Postby nan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:55 pm

Some simple fixes(realloc return value check, erasing iterators, battle music select).
Attachments
battle_playmusic.txt
(771 Bytes) Downloaded 167 times
iterator_usage.txt
(1.54 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
realloc_check.txt
(485 Bytes) Downloaded 191 times
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:01 pm

Thanks for catching those bugs nan! I'll apply your patch after I finish work on a big upcoming commit. Good thing you caught those for us before they started creating problems. I'm especially surprised that I missed that problem in the shop code because I'm usually good about identifying those iterator erase loops.

Return to “Programming”