M lua/data/maps/harrvah_capital.lua
    M lua/scripts/maps/a01_harrvah_capital_attack.lua
    M lua/data/maps/harrvah_city.lua
    M lua/data/maps/harrvah_desert_cave_path.lua
    M lua/data/maps/harrvah_underground_river_cave.lua
    M lua/test/maps.lua
    M src/modes/map/map_tiles.cpp

Primary Changes
Added a rough draft of the left castle section. This is definitely in need of further improvement, but for now I think I got the size right enough. As a result, I resized the capital map to remove all of the rows of tiles that were above the top of the castle (approximately reducing map height by 50). At this point I feel that the map has it's final size set and won't need any further adjustments. The final size is 98 tiles long and 104 tiles high. I believe that is our largest map to date. It's important that the size stay fixed as scripting of this map is beginning to take place. If the map size changes, the coordinates of sprites, zones, events, etc. all have to be updated, which is a pain in the butt to do.

Here's a screenshot from the editor of the castle section I added.

Roots
Dictator

Re: Subversion Commit Log

Postby Roots » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:40 am

Committed revisions #2173.
============================================================
Files Added
    A img/tilesets/ship_dock.png

Files Modified
    M LICENSES
    M img/tilesets/building_interior_objects_01.png
    M img/tilesets/desert_house_exterior.png

Primary Changes
Been collecting usable tile assets from OpenGameArt.org over the last couple of days. I copied these into the appropriate tileset files, and created a new one which we can use for the sand dock map. The licenses for this content were added accordingly.

I still have some more tile assets incoming which I will add later. I also need to update the capital map as a small amount of existing tiles that are used were shifted to new positions. Eventually I'll get around to updating the tileset definition files for the modified/added tilesets as well.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:26 pm

Committed revisions #2176.
Files Modified
    M img/tilesets/castle_exterior_01.png

Primary Changes
In the last few commits, I've made several changes to the tileset images. This includes adding tiles to existing tilesets, creating new tilesets, and rearranging tiles in existing tilesets. This commit updates the capital map to account for some of those changes. The interior context is completely messed up at the moment, as I did a big reorganization of the building_interior_objects_01 tileset (creating an 02 version, since we now have more than we can fit).

Notes
My next commits will be updating the tileset definition files so that we can make use of the new tilesets (some of which the capital map will use). I'm also going to do a little redesign of the castle on the capital map to make it's appearance more true to the concept art that was created for it long ago. There's also still a little more tile art that I'm going to pull into the tilesets. Once the castle is in a more complete state, I'm going to go out and see if I can find us an artist and map designer to continue this work so I can focus on scripting these maps.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:17 pm

Committed revisions #2178.
Files Modified
    M lua/data/actors/map_sprites_stock.lua
    M lua/scripts/maps/a01_opening_scene.lua
    M lua/scripts/maps/a01_unblock_underground_river.lua
    M src/modes/map/map_events.cpp

Primary Changes
Updated the castle design in the capital map. Made some changes to the map scripts and related files. Mostly focused on the unblock river script, which had much of the code commented out.

Notes
The cave map is going to be really buggy for a while. Some of the standards we used to use were changed and this map was never updated according to those changes. Over this next week I'm going to be working on this map script to make it release-ready again in anticipation of the upcoming development release.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun May 17, 2015 8:01 pm

Committed revisions #2183.
Files Modified
    M src/modes/map/map_tiles.h
    M src/modes/map/map_utils.h
    M src/modes/mode_bindings.cpp

Primary Changes
Map contexts are now working in map mode once again. This was necessary due to the changes to the map file/editor earlier this year.

Lots of fixes, updates, and various changes to the cave map script.
  • Commented out/removed a lot of the tutorial scripting that I was planning to add to the beginning of the map. This may be added in later, but for the immediate future I'm not concerned with it
  • Fixed a bug in one of the event scripting (where the player is prevented from going the wrong way by a NPC). Future tweaks to this particular event may be done in the future
  • Improved a lot of the readability of the script by removing the use of "magic ID numbers" everywhere and replacing them with references to containers. So now instead of saying things like "StartEvent(150)", you say "StartEvent(event_chains["passage_collapse"])". Less error prone and improves programmer sanity! :D
  • Put in a lot of temporary debugging stuff in this script. This includes things like not having any enemies on the map and increasing the player movement speed so that its easier for me to test things. Most of these changes will be removed later, although I may add some toggle-able debug feature to the map to aid in continuing development.

Known Bugs
- Many scripted events are still in need of fixing/improvement
- After the cave collapse, the player sprite is stuck on rocks, effectively breaking the map. This will be fixed in the next commit I hope.
- The dialogues are still being referenced by IDs, and there are a lot of missing/incorrect dialogue ids passed around between the events, causing events and NPC dialogue to be buggy. I'm going to be improving ID handling the same way I've done for events, etc. and fix these problems in the process.

Next steps: fix bugs, continue scripting improvements, and add new scripting for the boss battle. Then this map should be complete for the development release.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon May 18, 2015 1:57 am

Committed revisions #2184.
Files Modified

Primary Changes
A couple visual updates to the cave map. I made the underpass (the area where you walk under the black ceiling) shorter so its move obvious that you can go through there and what direction you may go. The other was to move the collapsed portion of the cave a bit further into the passage than it was before.

Dialogues are now all contained in an "event_dialogues" table that you can use to pull up the proper ID for a dialogue. All references are updated so we no longer see magic IDs like 120 everywhere.

The corpse discovery event has been fixed up and improved.

Known Bugs
- A crash happens right at the end of the corpse discovery event (when the treasure menu is supposed to appear).
- Even though the player's sprite is no longer "trapped" on top of rocks from the collapse event, you still can not move.

Will look into fixing both of these issues next.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue May 19, 2015 3:12 am

Committed revisions #2185 & 2186.
Files Modified
    M src/modes/map/map.cpp
    M src/modes/map/map_treasure.cpp

Primary Changes
Fixed crash that occurred when acquiring the treasure at the end of the corpse discovery event in the cave map (was due to a missing constructor binding)
Fixed issue where the treasure menu was not appearing when a treasure was acquired.
Added a treasure chest in the back of the cave map.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue May 19, 2015 6:06 am

Committed revisions #2187.
Files Modified
    M src/editor/map_data.cpp

Primary Changes
- Fixed a bug in the editor code where collision data wasn't getting reset to zero properly before saving the map file.
- Added full support for saving of inherited context collision data (was just ignoring collision data for any inherited tiles before)
- Updated collision data of cave map to account for above changes (fixes bug where the player couldn't move after the passage collapse event)
- Minor updates/improvements/fixes to cave map script

Known Bugs
You can walk through walls on the cave map (in either context). I think this is due to turning off the collision of the tiles in the sky layer. If any wall tiles are in the sky layer and contain collision data to prevent passing through the wall, this data will be ignored if the layer is "turned off" for accounting for collision data. If I'm right, this should be an easy fix. If I'm wrong, something else in the code that handles collision data is broken.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu May 21, 2015 4:28 am

Committed revisions #2189.
Files Modified

Primary Changes
- Added fourth tile layer so that we can put things atop of countertops (which were sitting on the sky layer). Tile layer order is now: Ground, Middle, Upper, Sky. The map objects sit between the middle and sky layers.
- Added skeleton interiors to all houses on the map. Will be fleshing these out over time.
- Fixed some buggy tiles that were in the map because of a tileset reorganization I did a while back
- Added a couple new tilesets to the map that I need to make use of

I'm back to building up this map for the development release. All that I'm going to do tiling-wise is to build out these interiors to a reasonable level. I'm not planning to have multiple stories accessible on any of them yet (the inn and Claudius' home at least I plan to be multi-story), nor have these interiors be on separate contexts. They're currently all on one context so you could see inside one building from another, but that's only because it's easier to develop these interiors when they are all on a single context. Eventually, I'll create other contexts and move them all around accordingly.

The castle will not be enter-able (there won't even be any doors). I will populate the map with sprites (some with dialogue, others without). I may add a transition to the dock map as well if I have time to do so.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue May 26, 2015 3:16 am

Committed revisions #2190
Files Modified

Primary Changes
- Fixed a couple bugs in the map loading code. There were still assumptions that each map has exactly 3 tile layers laying about
- Began working on the scripting of the capital attack map. I'm not looking to do much more than just the basic map introduction, NPCs, dialogue and adding the ability to walk inside structures.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sat May 30, 2015 5:20 am

Committed revisions #2191, #2192, and #2193
Files Removed
    D lua/scripts/maps/a01_harrvah_city_attack.lua
    D lua/data/maps/harrvah_city.lua

Files Modified

Primary Changes
- Removed the old Harrvah city map and script. This was a very old, incomplete attempt of building Harrvah, which the capital map has now replaced.
- Completed the interiors for four structures in the capital map, including: inn, item shop, weapon/armor shop, and Claudius' home
- Completed the walls and floors of all other structures in the town.
- Added context zones for each house so that the player can go inside each building.
- Added some simple townsfolk NPCs with dialogue, including shops for the merchants

At this point I consider the capital map complete for the development release. While it is still incomplete, it shows off enough for the player to get an idea of where we are going with it. There are still some NPCs and additional scripting I'm planning to add to this map, however, before finishing it off. Basically I'm planning to do the introduction scene when the knights rush into town under attack and engage the demons, but just before the player gains control add some temporary dialogue explaining ("This is as far as the release goes. You may explore the map, speak with NPCs, and enter buildings." or something to that effect. The dialogues that the NPCs speak are essentially things they would say after the attack, because you otherwise won't be able to speak with NPCs or enter structures during the attack scene of the game.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun May 31, 2015 6:39 pm

Committed revisions #2194
Files Renamed
    A + lua/scripts/maps/a01_return_scene.lua
    D lua/scripts/maps/a01_return_to_harrvah_city.lua

Files Modified
    M lua/global.lua
    M src/modes/map/map_sprites.h

Primary Changes
- Scripting of the capital map is complete for the development release. There's a small introduction scene and a temporary message to the player telling them the rest is incomplete and that they can go explore the map.
- Cleaned up the global.lua file a little bit and added a function for printing debug messages
- Minor updates to other scripts and capital map

The end is near and I feel we're almost ready for the development release. The last remaining work I'm going to do is improve the scripting for the final events of the cave map. Then I'll play through the entire game, fix any remaining issues, and we'll be release ready. :cool:
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun May 31, 2015 8:01 pm

Committed revisions #2195
Files Modified

Primary Changes
- Fixed a bug in the map loading code that was causing animated tiles to not be animated.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:22 am

Committed revisions #2196
Files Modified
    M src/modes/map/map_events.h

Primary Changes
Added the ability to set a final direction for a sprite to face after completing a path movement event. I've noticed in a lot of scripting we want to move a sprite from A->B, then make sure they are facing a certain direction. This used to be completed in two separate events (PathMoveSpriteEvent, ChangeDirectionSpriteEvent). Now you can simply call "SetFinalDirection" on the path move event and the same effect will be achieved. The difference is that the direction change will take place immediately. The method that uses two events should be used if you want to add a little time in between the path finishing and the direction changing.

Got a good start on the final events that occur on the cave map. This is still very much a work in progress that I'll be continuing to develop over the next few days. I also currently enabled the starting point of the map to begin near the end of the cave, for easier testing. Currently there are some dialogues that happen, a series of battles, and the boss fight before the map ends. Future work to be done include animating the sprites to move to positions, adding the boss sprite to appear, and changing the river to flow.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:08 am

Committed revisions #2199
Files Modified
    M src/modes/map/map_objects.h

Primary Changes
The core events that occur at the cave map are now complete. They still need additional debugging, testing, and refinement, but we are otherwise good to go for this very long event chain.

I added a single SetPosition function for MapObject objects for convenience. I won't get into the details, but I left a TODO note about its use because right now it doesn't handle offsets so it can be a potential problem. Something that can be taken of at a later time.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:09 pm

Committed revisions #2200
Files Modified
    M lua/scripts/maps/a01_return_scene.lua
    M lua/test/maps.lua
    M src/modes/map/map.cpp
    M src/modes/map/map_objects.h

Primary Changes
Removed requirement of having to specify the object layer ID of each object added to a map (if this data is omitted, the object is added to the default layer (ID == 0)

Fixed a bug in the testing framework that was referencing an incorrect map file name.

Did a lot of fixing up and improvement to the return scene map. Still a little buggy and needs fixing, but its not as bad as before and the script is much more "edit friendly" now that I removed the use of random ID values everywhere.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:16 am

Committed revisions #2201
Files Modified
    M src/modes/map/map.cpp
    M src/modes/map/map_objects.cpp
    M src/modes/map/map_sprites.cpp

Primary Changes
Made some minor fixes and improvements to map draw code.
Fixed the mak hound animations not loading properly in maps.

Known Bugs
Dialogue icons aren't appearing. I spent a good couple of hours tonight trying to fix this bug and didn't get very far. I left a couple TODO comments in the code so that it isn't forgotten about. I'm not planning to fix it for the upcoming development release.

The mak animations in the opening map look...off. The hound looks like it's moonwalking forward. :heh: I think I might just have the wrong order of frames in the .png file, or I might have the wrong order displayed in the loading code. May or may not get around to fixing this for the release.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:25 pm

Committed revisions #2202
Files Deleted
    D branches/*

Primary Changes
I deleted all files in our branches in anticipation of our migration. The branches contained code that hadn't been touched in years and was no longer useful. Bringing this information over to mercurial would serve no purpose and only pollutes the repository with deprecated files.

Return to “Programming”