Wiki is back up. Any ideas for organization?

Here you may share your feedback on any of the online services we provide, or report technical issues that you may have encountered.

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Wiki is back up. Any ideas for organization?

Postby Roots » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:11 am

http://www.allacrost.org/wiki

I did a completely new install of our wiki today. I'm in the process of copying over every page from the old wiki to the new, then I'll work on importing all of the images over as well. But first, it looks like the wiki has already been targeted by spam bots so I have to take care of that. :cry: I may have to temporarily disable accounts, so I recommend not creating an account over there right now (as I am going to be deleting all of the users that have registered besides myself). I'll give the go-ahead when I feel the wiki is safe for normal use.

But in the mean time, I'm thinking about ways to better organize our content. I think that the main page should contain links to a header page of a few subsections, each which are intended for a different audience. For example: For players, For prospective contributors, For programmers, For artists, and so on. That way it makes it easy for people to see the lists of pages that are relevant to them, and not the pages which they have no interest in. I'm not sure of the exact format or style that this would be in though. I may go looking around at other project wikis to get some ideas.

A little wiki history
You may recall that a couple years ago, our old wiki that was hosted on our Sourceforge project space had some catastrophic problems and became inaccessible. I eventually was able to restore access to it, but in read-only mode (ie, we can't modify any pages there anymore). Hence why we decided to create a new wiki on our own website and migrate the content over, which we partially did. However, before we completely got the new wiki rolling, the project entered it's state of demise and the wiki left untouched...except by spammers it would appear. I found that our wiki database had grown to over 1GB in size (consuming 20% of our disk quota). It was too much work to clean it all up and the mediaWiki version needed to be upgraded anyway, so I decided to just throw everything out and start fresh.
Roots
Dictator

Re: Wiki is back up. Any ideas for organization?

Postby Roots » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:04 am

Alright, wiki is now secured (I hope). I added ReCaptcha to prevent spam bots from making accounts, added extensions to make it easier to delete spam pages and users, removed a couple hundred bogus spam users and a few dozen spam pages, and enabled DNS-based blacklisting to block known malicious users (says it decreases edit latency slightly). I'll let things simmer for a few days and see how things go. If we get no new spam, I think I'll try enabling edits from guests (not just registered users) and see if that works out okay.

i was hoping to transfer more content from the old wiki today, but the DNS issues that the site was having and the spam problem were preventing me from getting much done on that front. Definitely made good progress today though. :approve:
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:58 pm

Transfered a lot of pages and images from the old wiki last night. More still remain, but I got a good chunk done. I've noticed that some of the images in the old wiki are broken, so we won't be able to copy over everything. But it looks like the most important images are still valid. I'm also electing not to copy over some material from the old wiki, as it is either outdated, irrelevant, or just not something we do anymore. For example, pages that list our individual goals, or the status of every person on the staff, or the recruitment process. I'm going to continue triming the fat off the old wiki as I migrate content, and I hope to be done with all of it before next week.

Take a look at the main page. This is my current proposal for our new organizational scheme, but I'm open to trying other ideas. The table consists of a number of headers, where each header points to a "sub-main" for a particular type of audience (players, artists, map designers, etc). None of these sub-main pages exist yet, but my intention is for them to contain a list of -all- releveant pages for that audience. In the row directly underneath each header, a short list of the most frequently used pages for each header exists. I think it's a pretty simple and clean format. Also note that a page can be relevant to several different audiences and it's trivial to link it in multiple different sub-mains.

I also added some links on the main page for pages that don't exist yet, but should. For example, a Roadmap. I'll work on adding some stub content to these pages to get them started, and hope that others come along and help fill them out.

Final note, there are some additional extensions and mods I think I need to make to the wiki. Below is the list that I have put together so far. If you can think of something else we need, let me know.
  • Pretty/short URL (ie, "wiki/Game_Manual" instead of "wiki/index.php?title=Game_Manual")
  • Flash file support (there is a flash file displayed in one of the documentation pages for the video engine)
  • Embedded video support (youtube, vimeo)
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:16 am

I tried to get ShortURLs working tonight, but failed. The re-direction worked as expected, but A) it broke the main site (allacrost.org was trying to redirect to the wiki) and B) everything returned a 404 not found error. :( I've restored the wiki back to it's previous state for now. I think the problem is with the .htaccess file (as everything else is pretty straightforward). These are the changes I made to it that I was led to believe would work (the wiki was relocated to /wiki_home, and /wiki was the redirection path):

Code: Select all

# Various rewrite rules.
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
  RewriteEngine on

# Rewrite URLs of the form 'x' to the form 'index.php?q=x'.
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !=/favicon.ico
  RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?q=$1 [L,QSA]

# The following rules were added on 2012/12/09 in order to allow for ShortURL settings on the wiki.
  # The wiki articles are located at allacrost.org/wiki_home, but the wiki itself appears to come from allacrost.org/wiki
  # See: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Short_URL/Apache
  # Short url for wiki pages
  RewriteRule ^/?wiki(/.*)?$ %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/wiki_home/index.php [L]
  # Redirect / to Main Page
  RewriteRule ^/*$ %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/wiki_home/index.php [L]
</IfModule>

The rewritecond/rule in the middle block was already there when I started modifying the file, so I didn't touch it. Maybe it's interferring with the redirections that I'm trying to setup? If anyone knows anything about this kind of stuff (as I sure as heck don't), feel free to chime in. Otherwise, I'll try to get the wiki working another day.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:46 pm

I consider the content migration from the old wiki to the new to now be complete. The wiki is still missing some files that are referenced across pages.. Some of these files I haven't uploaded yet, and others were lost when the old wiki got demolished years ago. I have downloaded all available files from the old wiki on my local system. There are also a couple pages that I downloaded but did not put on the new wiki yet, as they contain sensitive information (such as how to access the FTP) that was "protected content" on the old wiki. I'll have to figure out what to do with this information later. Also note that some pages I did not migrate at all (those that contained essentially no useful information, or were so outdated they were worthless).

The old wiki will continue to stay up for now. It may disappear after I upgrade our sourceforge project, and if it does I'm not going to spend any time figuring out how to bring it back. If it does survive the project upgrade, then I will continue to leave it up for now, but at some point in the future we should retire it for good.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:43 pm

I've spent a lot of time this weekend updating the wiki. Particularly, I'm focusing on all the content that contains critical information to new contributors and team members, as enabling them is the primary motivation behind this new wiki in the first place. I'm giving the most attention to the needs of new artists and game designers, as they are going to be critical to our success for this next release. I'm also going to rewrite and throw out old pages that are no longer relevant, such as "Coding Needs". Here's the new pages I've created so far.

http://www.allacrost.org/wiki/index.php/Roadmap
Absolutely critical to have. Lists every major task we require to complete for the next release to be ready.

http://www.allacrost.org/wiki/index.php/Programmer_Main
The "main" page for programmers. I tried to add links to all pages that I thought programmers will need (several are currently empty pages).

http://www.allacrost.org/wiki/index.php ... _Practices
Currently a stub page. There are some things that we do that are not in the standard, but I didn't want to blow up the code standard any further. In fact, some elements from the code standard I'll be moving into this page.

http://www.allacrost.org/wiki/index.php/Code_Hierarchy
Basically copied the table from Coding Needs here. Just a quick explanation of how the code is organized in the source tree.

http://www.allacrost.org/wiki/index.php/Artist_Main
The main page for artists. Contains links to empty pages that I will fill out with information that I think artists will need or appreciate.

http://www.allacrost.org/wiki/index.php ... Categories
Check this page out. It took me a lot of time to make it, but I think it does a damn good job of explaining all the types and format of artwork in the game, complete with examples. This page has also made me realize several things about artwork (our current image directory structure kind of sucks, and I didn't realize that the upper 256 pixels of a battle background were animated). There are still some sections to complete, but all of the important stuff is already done.

Feel free to leave feedback, etc. I'm going to be working on the wiki all week. I still need to get started on writing sections for game designers.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:19 pm

Can you guys help me fill out this page?

http://www.allacrost.org/wiki/index.php ... structions

It needs the instructions for how to build from source on Windows and OS X. This page is intended for people who want to grab the latest SVN code (or source release package) and compile it themselves. We do already have some information on that at http://www.allacrost.org/wiki/index.php ... structions , but it's sloppy and outdated. I'd like to have this page filled out soon, if possible.
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:51 pm

OS X portion is updated (though the project file still needs to be updated in the repository). I'm having some problems with OpenGL calls seg faulting :huh:

Return to “Online Services”