Requests for Site/Forum Improvements

Here you may share your feedback on any of the online services we provide, or report technical issues that you may have encountered.

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Requests for Site/Forum Improvements

Post by Roots » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:19 am

Submit your request for modifying either the site or the forums to better meet your needs here.
Just realize that its impossible to make everyone completely happy and your request may go unanswered. :angel:

A list of easy-to-install mods for our forum can be searched here: http://www.phpbb.com/mods/

Tonight I modified the forum settings and changed the following two things:

1) You can not post a new topic if you are not a registered forum member. (I thought I did this a long time ago, but apparently I didn't).

2) Now all visitors can post on polls (previously it was only registered members).

And of course we are still looking for someone with the time and energy who is willing to give us a custom skin for our forums. :angel: That's my #1 request right now!! :bow:
Steu
Developer

Post by Steu » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:20 pm

With the recent rash in spammers today, maybe we should turn on, only registered users can post.  It's not much of a hassle in my opinion, and would save having to delete these pointless post.

Also is it just me, or is sometimes the new post flag not set on threads I haven't read yet.  Also on my laptop, I have to login twice before it works, kinda strange.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:26 pm

Steu wrote:With the recent rash in spammers today, maybe we should turn on, only registered users can post.  It's not much of a hassle in my opinion, and would save having to delete these pointless post.

Also is it just me, or is sometimes the new post flag not set on threads I haven't read yet.  Also on my laptop, I have to login twice before it works, kinda strange.

Yeah, i've been having fun deleting like 20 useless posts today. I finally did the smart thing and looked up their IP and found that it was all coming from the save server (slavhost.ru or something) so I banned them. I wanted to allow unregistered users to post in existing threads just because I know that I don't like having to register to every damn forum on the planet if I just want to post one little question. :angel: But yes, if this continues to be a problem I'll just have to only allow guests to view and not post. :(

Ideally I would like to install a mod so the guest has to pass a captcha before they can post (but registered members wouldn't need to do this). Hell, I'd like to update our forum software too (latest available version is phpBB 2.0.19 and we are running phpBB 2.0.13) along with maybe a couple other mods and maybe even a temporary new skin if we can find a good one (change is good IMO). I wonder if gorzuate is busy... :angel:
gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:07 am

captcha mod's been installed!! :D
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:42 am

gorzuate wrote:captcha mod's been installed!! :D

Thanks! :approve:

I had a random idea today. What if when a new user registers, there is a part where they are presented with the forum rules and have to answer 3 simple, random multiple choice questions about the rules? This would make sure that new users read the forum rules to at least some degree, and as a bonus could deter bots from signing up on the forums. Even though we have captcha on forum registration as well, it seems that the spam bots still somehow bypass that, because I've had to delete quite a few russian bots in the last week or two. :|
gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:58 am

Yo ho ho! Forums have been updated to phpBB 2.0.19 :D

I don't know about your idea there Tyler, it seems tedious to the user.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:12 am

Well they only have to do it *once* when they register, and it would probably be no more than 3 easy multiple choice questions. Besides, when/if we get a larger community, it will help to make sure that everyone at least knows that there exists a set of rules, instead of letting the boards get out of control with spam and flame wars, etc.
alenacat
Artist

Post by alenacat » Tue May 23, 2006 1:29 pm

It'd be cool to have nunvuru's kickarse icons as the "read/unread topic" thingy, is that planned?
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Tue May 23, 2006 1:51 pm

Yes, we've been wanting to create a custom skin for our phpbb forums for a long time now (almost a year I think). BigPapaN0z has done some preliminary design work with creating a skin, but due to personal issues he hasn't been able to work on Allacrost as much as he would like to, and no one else volunteered for the job so things just stagnant with the forum look-and-feel for now. :(
nunvuru
Web Designer

Post by nunvuru » Tue May 23, 2006 11:47 pm

But with BigPapaN0z shipping off i'll be taking over the transformation. However, site first, then I can worry about the forum.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:34 pm

I would really like a mod that allows you to view a page with a chronological post history. Sometimes I come to the forums, forget to read some new threads, and when i come back I no longer know which ones I didn't read, and its a pain in the ass. I'm sure there has to be some mod out there that does this. :angel:
EmreBFG
Team Manager

Post by EmreBFG » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:54 pm

Roots wrote:I would really like a mod that allows you to view a page with a chronological post history. Sometimes I come to the forums, forget to read some new threads, and when i come back I no longer know which ones I didn't read, and its a pain in the ass. I'm sure there has to be some mod out there that does this. :angel:

Yea, I have that issue as well. I'll try to see if there's something out there.