Have the wiki link on the front page like forum/fora

Here you may share your feedback on any of the online services we provide, or report technical issues that you may have encountered.

Moderator: Staff

shirish

Have the wiki link on the front page like forum/fora

Post by shirish » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:06 pm

Hi all,
For newbies who are new to the game, finding the wiki is not easily discoverable. It is a sub-link underneath Community which IMO is plain wrong. What makes forum a first-class citizen and the wiki a second-class citizen? The wiki could remain in the community but it would serve an important function if its linked and shown on the homepage itself.

It took me 10 mins to figure out where the wiki is listed even though I had gone through it yesterday.

Secondly, there should be a sticky in the Technical Issues as well as User Feedback with a brief intro. of the project, where it is at the moment, some short-term things you guys wanna do and the resources like the wiki.

This should/could lead to greater community participation.

If the note wanted to be elaborate you could also share something about the artwork (what softwares you guys use, etc. etc.) and end it there itself.
Intel i5-7400, Asus Z270-P, 8 GB DDR4 2400 RAM, D-Link 502-T router, 64-bit Debian Buster, MATE 1.18 ,
Roots
Dictator

Re: Have the wiki link on the front page like forum/fora

Post by Roots » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:10 am

I have no disagreement with anything you said here. The problem is that we're currently a small team and we have to choose where our time was invested. A few years back, I was obsessed with management and ended up spending way too much time organizing the forums, wiki, website, etc. Doing this burned me out a little and it really slowed progress on the game as well, since I am the programmer with the most knowledge about our code and have written more code than anyone else.

We've made efforts in the past to hire team managers to do this sort of thing (manage our online services) and we had a couple, but it never really worked out with any of them as they either didn't stick around for very long, or they just didn't do the things that needed to be done. If someone came along wanting to work on the website/wiki/bug tracker, that would be fantastic. Or if we had a larger team that was much more productive, it would be easier to pull someone off to work on that kind of stuff. But right now its really hard to justify spending our time working on this sort of thing. Does that make sense? :eyebrow:
shirish

Post by shirish » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:17 am

Ok, I didn't know about the burning up thing.

I can/could volunteer but frankly do not have any HTML experience. My only experience has been with a blog I use on wordpress.com (http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com) and frankly much of it is dumbed down/made easy with the in-built GUI editor so don't have to deal with lot of code.

At times when there is need, there is of course en.forums.wordpress.com

I dunno what the site is built upon, but from whatever I saw on the forum, it seems its drupal-based. Also have no idea whether you guys are using sourceforge.net hosting or not ? From what little I remember, sourceforge.net gives mediawiki and drupal services for people wanting to host their own sites . I think both this services started last year or the year before that.

The only thing that a developer/developers needed to do was have their own domain home .
Intel i5-7400, Asus Z270-P, 8 GB DDR4 2400 RAM, D-Link 502-T router, 64-bit Debian Buster, MATE 1.18 ,
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:50 am

Our website is indeed built with Drupal. It seems easy enough to use for general improvement of pages and such. I wouldn't want you to do any technical work with the site since you're inexperienced and may accidentally break something, but content management you can help with if you like. Our wiki actually is hosted on our sourceforge project space, but right now its readable-only because sourceforge did some things that made it completely non-functional, and it took me a while just to get it back in its current state.

Semi-pedantic Allacrost wiki history explanation below, feel free to skip
So when we were originally preparing to put up a wiki, at the time we were on a different hosting provider and were quickly running out of available storage space on our site. We decided to take advantage of our then unused SF space for our wiki. Someone (steu I believe) did all the work in setting it up, and we had to make some small hacks to get it to work on the sourceforge site because there are some weird limitations over there. Anyway after some work, he finally got it up. Over time the wiki gradually became more and more disorganized with a bunch of pages that were not really needed and information was difficult to find. I and others spent a lot of time cleaning it up, but it still was not enough and none of our team managers were proactive about wiki maintenance. Flash-forward to early 2011. Something happened on the sourceforge site that completely broke our wiki. There were a number of other problems we had had over the years with our wiki due to problems on sourceforge (lots of downtime) and so we decided a few weeks ago to transfer the wiki over from our old space to our site and host it here, rather than go through more headaches trying to fix the problems with the old wiki.

So the new wiki I've already setup and you can access it at http://www.allacrost.org/wiki (this new wiki hasn't been advertised anywhere yet, because it remains incomplete in terms of content). I've been very slowly transfer (some, but not all) pages from the old wiki over to the new one, but with code and art and releases and recruitment I am stretched extremely thin right now and don't really have the bandwidth to do this in an expedient manner. If you want, you can help me transfer the material from the old wiki over to the new one and help improve these pages so we have a better repository for information. In fact you don't even need any permissions or anything, since you can easily go create an account on the new wiki and start looking at the old wiki and figuring out what needs to be transfered over (all the links on the front page of the new wiki definitely need to be filled in).

If you (or anyone else) is interested in this, go for it. I can answer any questions about it of course.