Forum spammers are back

Here you may share your feedback on any of the online services we provide, or report technical issues that you may have encountered.

Moderator: Staff

rujasu
Developer

Re: Forum spammers are back

Postby rujasu » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:48 pm

We seem to get a lot of spam accounts from domains including the name "yandex," such as yandex.com, yandex.ru, or yandex.cn. If we can ban "yandex.*" or something like that, that would be ideal.

Also, I will once again urge that we should disable guest posting. We've never had any useful guest posts -- I don't think legitimate users actually know they can post without an account, , and it's annoying to delete 5-10 or more spam posts each day. I'd like to go ahead with this if Roots gives the okay.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:39 am

I found an option for increasing the captcha's noise level in the forum settings, so I increased both x and y noise levels from 15 to 20. Don't know if that will have any effect, but at least its not at the default level anymore. Out of curiosity, lets see if that prevents spam registration/guest posting at all. I'll disable guest posting entirely if this doesn't help at all.
Winter Knight
Contributor

Postby Winter Knight » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:23 am

Remember, guest posting is already disabled in every forum except for "Ideas and Game Features." That one forum still allowing it seems more like a bug, or oversight, than an intentional decision.
rujasu
Developer

Postby rujasu » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:08 am

Roots wrote:I found an option for increasing the captcha's noise level in the forum settings, so I increased both x and y noise levels from 15 to 20. Don't know if that will have any effect, but at least its not at the default level anymore. Out of curiosity, lets see if that prevents spam registration/guest posting at all. I'll disable guest posting entirely if this doesn't help at all.

I had to delete somewhere around 15 posts today, and about 10 were from guest posts. That's a rough estimate, but I'd say it doesn't appear to be helping whatsoever, I'm afraid. :shrug:
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:26 pm

You should have left them for Roots to find ;) It's definitely not helping.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:46 pm

Okay I'll figure out how to disable it (its so hard to find the forum setting you want in that control panel). I don't think that guest posting is only enabled in ideas/game features. At least, I don't recall ever setting things that way. I thought the reason that guest spam always appeared in there was because the spambots used the same code which for some reason determined that it should post in that forum. And all the spam posts from registered forum users seem to show up in the programming forum. :shrug:
rujasu
Developer

Postby rujasu » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:52 am

Roots wrote:Okay I'll figure out how to disable it (its so hard to find the forum setting you want in that control panel). I don't think that guest posting is only enabled in ideas/game features. At least, I don't recall ever setting things that way. I thought the reason that guest spam always appeared in there was because the spambots used the same code which for some reason determined that it should post in that forum. And all the spam posts from registered forum users seem to show up in the programming forum. :shrug:

Guest posting is only enabled in ideas/game features. I know this for certain, because I just logged out and checked. :angel:
Winter Knight
Contributor

Postby Winter Knight » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:13 am

Thanks rujasu. Before I read your post, I was going to suggest to Roots that he do the same thing. It's pretty easy to test.

As for the programming forum getting the spam posts from registered users, my guess is that that is because the programming forum is the forum with the most views, that regular users can post to. I am surprised that none of the other forums get any spam though. I would have figured that some bots would post to all of them. The Ideas and Game Features is the only forum with Guest spam, because, of course, that is the only one they are allowed to post to.
rujasu
Developer

Postby rujasu » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:58 pm

More spam domains:

ya.ru
2008isites.net
rxciales.info

Also, I'm probably going to be without internet until Wednesday, so it would be nice if someone could pick up the slack on removing spam. :angel:
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:46 am

I've disabled guest posting in idea/game features. Take that, spammers :axe:

Return to “Online Services”