Sourceforge sucks, lets move the wiki here

Here you may share your feedback on any of the online services we provide, or report technical issues that you may have encountered.

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Sourceforge sucks, lets move the wiki here

Postby Roots » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:33 pm

Over the last month we've been having one headache after another with the wiki, and its not the wiki's fault (nor our fault). Its sourceforge and all of their dumb restrictive policies and poor administrative environment (we can't even ssh into our webspace right now...we have to rely on sftp). gorzuate and I know better than anyone how annoying this has been. I'm finding at least two new major issues with the wiki every week lately. I say instead of continuing to try and hack around the problem and waste our time, we should just install a new media wiki base on our own site, port all the content from the old wiki to the new one, then permanently close down the old wiki.

I know this is a pain in the butt to do right now, but its kind of necessary to fix these wiki issues ASAP because we're going to be recruiting soon and they're going to be reading the introducto wiki pages, etc. (I was trying to edit some of these pages today and ran into problem after problem). If no one disagrees, I say lets go ahead and get started. I can get a media wiki installation on the server today and while I'm at it, install any useful extensions I can find.
gorzuate
Developer

Re: Sourceforge sucks, lets move the wiki here

Postby gorzuate » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:16 am

I guess. If you want to.
Do we have the space for it?
Do we have the bandwidth for it?

Right now everything works on the SF wiki except for emailing a user a new password. I can just install an extension so admins can easily reset users passwords and then we should be okay.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:19 pm

We have plenty of space and bandwidth. I guess we can put this off until later then if everything works, but I still think we should do it eventually. I don't want to bog our team down with too much crap on online services. I just want us to get working on the next demo asap.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:23 am

FYI, I'm noticing that there are still a lot of pages with missing images in the wiki. Some pages have images, others do not.
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:03 am

Ah. Just took a look-see myself. The images that are missing are missing because they're missing. :heh: I suppose they were not in the wiki backup folder that I used to resurrect the images. As such, I have no idea where else they might be so I could bring them back from the dead. Perhaps a SF ticket is in order here.
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:50 am

gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:34 am

Please advise: What was the path to the files on the old servers? We can
take a peek and see if we can locate them.

This is what they said... I don't know the answer... and I have a feeling the only one who would know is Steu :uhoh:
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:33 pm

What about looking at the URL to the missing files and using that to deduce where the base directory for our images were stored?
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:40 pm

Yeah, that doesn't work. The url for any of the images (missing or not) will be wiki/images/blah/blah/specific-image.jpg. images is a soft link. It was a soft link before the migration, and is a soft link now. So the url doesn't give me the specific path or directory that images points to.

Steu should be contactable, right? We could try and shoot him an email, assuming he actually remembers...
Another thing is maybe there's a guide online somewhere about how to set up MediaWiki to run on Sourceforge before they actually performed the migration...
Or maybe I could tell SF that our guy who set it up left us...

:shrug:
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:42 am

Yeah I think steu should still be contactable. His e-mail address can be found in the forums (through admin panel), the wiki's contact info page, and I think in the site's control panel under mail. he might have multiple addresses listed so just spam it out to all of them and hope he responds in a couple days.
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:16 am

About that extension to more easily reset user passwords... it requires MediaWiki version 1.9+. We're currently running 1.6.3 :(
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:13 pm

Yeah, lets just move the wiki once we have a manager. I don't want the wiki/site/forums/e-mail to keep detracting the programmers from their work.
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:15 pm

Finally got an answer from SourceForge. Looks like we're screwed :(
Given its path its possible someone deleted them (another project, for
instance). You should restore them from backups your project has made if
not in /home/old-persistent/images. This wouldn't have anything to do with
the migration since we copied all those files over, but the content is
world-writable essentially allowing anyone to munge them.

Return to “Online Services”