Hello, we apologize but forum registrations are non-functional at this time. This issue should be fixed around mid-December. Until then, please stop by our Discord channel if you'd like to get in touch with the team. Thanks!

What should our blogging policies be?

Here you may share your feedback on any of the online services we provide, or report technical issues that you may have encountered.

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

What should our blogging policies be?

Post by Roots » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:57 pm

Thanks to ElonNarai, we now have a team blog available on our website, yay! It only took two years of me saying we should get one before it happened. ;) I think this will be a great tool for us to share our work and ideas with others and help us all to express ourselves beyond this small team we have here. As I understand it, everyone has their own individual blog on the site, but the site syndicates those blogs together into one larger Allacrost team blog.

So I think before we all start blogging, we should set a few ground rules to follow so that our blogs aren't abused or make anyone upset (including both fellow team members and the public).
  • Only staff members are able to write blogs. Contributors can not.
  • Try to blog about things related to Allacrost. Its fine to insert little snippets of your own life in there where relevant (e.g., I can't work on Allacrost for two months because I'm taking a long family vacation), but the blog should not be a place to rant and rave about other things in your life (for that, use blogger.com)
  • Everyone is free to share any work that they created. Art, music, code, whatever. You don't have to worry about getting permission to do so from the team because its -your- work.
  • DO NOT share the work that someone else created (or that you assisted with) unless you get their express permission.
  • The only things you can not speak about Allacrost are spoilers (details of the story to the upcoming release, new characters being introduced that have never been seen publicly, etc). All other topics about Allacrost are unfiltered. Negative opinions of the game/team are certainly allowed as long as its tasteful. No pointless rants like "Roots is a jerk!" or anything :heh:

We need a formal list of policies and should probably put them up in a wiki page when we have them written. All I've proposed here is an informal list of things I think we should and should not do. What would you like to see added as part of our blogging policies? Remember that all our blogs are public and available for the whole world to see, so its important that we all get our say about this.
prophile

Re: What should our blogging policies be?

Post by prophile » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:39 pm

No contributors? :(

;)
Alastair Lynn / Resident Whinger / Allacrost
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:22 pm

prophile wrote:No contributors? :(

;)
Just means you should work hard to become staff. ;) But in all seriousness, since this blog links the people on the project directly to the public, I think its best to only let staff have permissions (since staff status has to be earned over time). That way we don't get people that joined the team yesterday suddenly blogging about Allacrost.
ElonNarai
Developer

Post by ElonNarai » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:36 am

Roots wrote:since staff status has to be earned over time
Uhm... I became staff in only matter of days and what I have seen from prophile I practically consider him part of the staff (means you still ain't part of the staff).

Anyway, lets get back to the policies
I agree with the intellectual rights but I disagree with what can be posted or not. A few of the proffesional blogs I keep track of always tell how amazed they are that their slice of life stories are more read and has higher votes than their proffesional items.
I think people should be free to post whatever they want and if it gets out of hand (everyday a post that tells you how lolcat your cat is) then we step in, take it down and tell the staff member never do that again.
But the chance is big that people will write about allacrost anyway or it somehow gets back at allacrost, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Also I got my own blog (http://limegarden.net/) which is there to promote myself and that does include promoting allacrost, but also telling how annoyed I'm with something else.
Documenter and coder
prophile

Post by prophile » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:12 pm

Google run a blog which might be of interest if you're looking for how to do things. It's worth a read :approve:
Alastair Lynn / Resident Whinger / Allacrost
ElonNarai
Developer

Post by ElonNarai » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:07 pm

I think google is a bad example, but yeah, something similair was the basic idea.

The blog Trillian is maybe a better comparison as it is about a product
http://blog.ceruleanstudios.com/ and for the informal part look at http://blog.ceruleanstudios.com/?p=339

Front page blog: Formal and has to be about allacrost
Team blogs: Can be informal and has to be about you, something that you can relate to allacrost or, of course, allacrost self.

So team blogs can have the following topics: Games (relates to allacrost), open-source (relates to allacrost), you, your personal life, your education (relates to you), your current job and how much you hate it (relates to you) and the next big thing you are working on for allacrost.

From time to time people should be allowed to just put anything on they want. The idea is that we don't moderate it but if we get complains or have the idea that it is used for something that was not our intention (written or not) we will just kick it off. I assume that everyone on the staff team is old and mature enough to know where that boundry lies.
Documenter and coder