phpBB3.0

Here you may share your feedback on any of the online services we provide, or report technical issues that you may have encountered.

Moderator: Staff

Gallivan
Team Manager

phpBB3.0

Postby Gallivan » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:48 am

Here's the process for converting our forums to phpBB 3.0 as well as some of the potential downsides. At the end of the post is a link to the benefits of converting.

Conversion

As with install the conversion is automated. Your previous 2.0.x database tables will not be changed as well as the original 2.0.x files remaining unaltered. The conversion is actually only filling your phpBB3 database tables and copying additional data over to your phpBB3 installation. This has the benefit that if something goes wrong you are able to either re-run the conversion or continue a conversion, while your old board is still accessible. We really recommend you disable your old installation while converting, else you may have inconsistent data after the conversion.

Problems

Broken non-latin characters The conversion script assumes that the database encoding in the source phpBB2 matches the encoding defined in the lang_main.php file of the default language pack of the source installation. Edit that file to match the database's encoding and re-start the conversion procedure.

http 500 / white pages The conversion is a load-heavy procedure. Restrictions imposed by some server hosting providers can cause problems. The most common causes are: too low values for the php settings memory_limit and max_execution_time. Limits on the allowed CPU time are also a frequent cause for such errors, as are caps on the number of database queries allowed. If you cannot change such settings, then contact your hosting provider or run the conversion procedure on a different computer. The phpBB.com forums are also an excellent location to ask for support.

Password conversion Due to the utf-8 based handling of passwords in phpBB3, it is not always possible to transfer all passwords. For passwords "lost in translation" the easiest workaround is to use the "forgotten password" function.

Path to your former board The converter expects the relative path to your old board's files. So, -for instance - if the new board is located at http://www.yourdomain.com/forum and the phpBB3 is located at http://www.yourdomain.com/phpBB3, then the correct value would be ../forum. Note that the webserver user must be able to access the source installation's files.

Missing images If your default board language's language pack does not include all images, then some images might be missing in your installation. Always use a complete language pack as default language.

Smilies During the conversion you might see warnings about image files where the copying failed. That can happen if the old board's smilies have the same file names as those on the new board. Copy those files manually after the conversion, if you want to continue using the old smilies.

Benefits

http://www.phpbb.com/about/features/

Please shout out any comments, questions, or experiences you have first or second or third hand about phpBB 3.0.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:54 am

I say lets go ahead with it. Just make sure to download a backup of our forum database to your local machine when you do the conversion in case the worst happens. We also probably want to send an announcement out to all forum members when we plan for the conversion to take place (I'm assuming there will be at least a little downtime), as well as mention any notes that are relevant to the user (like the lost passwords bug and workaround).
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:17 pm

:approve: Yeah, I look forward to this.
Gallivan
Team Manager

Postby Gallivan » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:17 am

Ok, well I'll send out an e-mail tonight stating that the forums should be down MST Saturday morning for ~two hours.
EmreBFG
Team Manager

Re: phpBB3.0

Postby EmreBFG » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:25 am

phpBB 3.0 looks really cool. I especially appreciate some of the enhancements made to the administration panel. I want to take a deeper look when I find some time.

I noticed the Allacrost theme is a bit borked. I quite like the new tabbed nature of phpBB 3.0 so an upgrade the the Allacrost theme would be nice. Put that at the bottom of the list of priorities, though :)

EDIT: On second thought, I just noticed that the poster info is on the right side of each post... does that bother anyone else?
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:01 am

EmreBFG wrote:EDIT: On second thought, I just noticed that the poster info is on the right side of each post... does that bother anyone else?

Yes
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:11 pm

We can easily switch it back to the left side I believe. I don't have a huge issue with it. The only thing I dislike is I start reading a person's post before I find out who that person is due to our left-to-right nature.
Gallivan
Team Manager

Postby Gallivan » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:32 pm

The Allacrost theme has it on the left-side (I assumed that was preferential?) - sorry about it taking so long, I took a break for a day or two, I'll try and finish tonight.
Gallivan
Team Manager

Postby Gallivan » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:05 am

Just as I go through and rename and overwrite the images (to what was on phpBB 2.x) I notice that we have a lot of potions to signify new posts and such.

The problem is that (and I think this was brought up before) it's quite hard to tell what topic has new posts, since the potions aren't THAT varied. Some do look bigger than others, but it certainly isn't uniform and I think the base images that phpBB gives us are better for this intended usage.

Here's a comparison:

versus

Please note I am not suggesting changing the H's which are faded out, I think those work well. This is just in the sub-forums.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:55 am

I think we should just use the same bottle, not a bigger one versus a smaller one. For the no new posts, just create an edited version of the potion we pick and have it be empty. I'm sure that would be something pretty quick and easy to make.
Gallivan
Team Manager

Postby Gallivan » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:01 am

Sounds good. :hack:

EDIT: Hmm - I may have over judged my Photoshop skills... I'm going to see what they look like greyed out, since me drawing the empty bottle might be a no-go.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:08 am

You can ask Jetryl if you can't get it to look right. I'm sure he can do it blindfolded, using his foot to mouse, while being suspended in mid air by a chain wrapped around his wrists as he's being lowered into a tank of sharks with frickin' laser beams on their heads.
Gallivan
Team Manager

Postby Gallivan » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:09 am

Funny you mention that.... :approve:

Ok, I'm going to keep giving it a few more shots, but I'll give Jetryl the batphone just in case.
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:44 am

IMO, those potions are terrible for this use. I'm touched that my art is getting used like that, but we could really use a more obvious metaphor. Allacrost actually has two nice "open/closed book" graphics that might work great:

Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:30 pm

I don't think the fact that the potions "don't make sense" for indicating new posts is a moot point. It's almost certain that everyone who visits our forum has seen another forum before, and all forums have these new post indicator icons. I think the potions look nice and professional, and while that book looks nice as well, it doesn't have the same polish, size, and high quality as those potion icons.
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:11 pm

It's simple, using the potions, have red potions indicate new post, blue potions no new posts, green potions announcements, stickies, etc.
Gallivan
Team Manager

Postby Gallivan » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:46 pm

Ok, everything works now. There are still some style changes (especially when viewing a topic) but nothing should be broken, if it is please let me know and I'll fix it really quickly. I went slower this time because when I rush things break - and that's never a good thing.

I'll be uploading the remaining images tonight and trying to make the topic headers look good.
rujasu
Developer

Postby rujasu » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:23 pm

Gallivan wrote:Ok, everything works now. There are still some style changes (especially when viewing a topic) but nothing should be broken, if it is please let me know and I'll fix it really quickly. I went slower this time because when I rush things break - and that's never a good thing.

I'll be uploading the remaining images tonight and trying to make the topic headers look good.

Thanks for doing this Gallivan. It's nice to see the old skin again. :)
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:30 pm

Anyone else notice the "Post Reply" button seems to be located only at the top of the thread (at least on the Allacrost skin)? Yeah, I can easily hit the "Quote" button to make a reply, but... :|
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:21 pm

gorzuate wrote:Anyone else notice the "Post Reply" button seems to be located only at the top of the thread (at least on the Allacrost skin)? Yeah, I can easily hit the "Quote" button to make a reply, but... :|

Yeah I noticed this too, and find it quite annoying that there's no post reply button at the bottom of a thread. Definitely something that needs to be fixed.

Return to “Online Services”