Moving away from Sourceforge

Here you may share your feedback on any of the online services we provide, or report technical issues that you may have encountered.

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Moving away from Sourceforge

Postby Roots » Sat May 30, 2015 4:25 pm

Sourceforge has been a rock for us for all these years, but I think it's time we end our relationship with them. This page explains why SF has become evil :devil: and I'm legitimately concerned about continuing to use their services. We use SF for two things: hosting our subversion code repository, and hosting our release files. Whatever we migrate to has to provide these two services at a minimum. It might also be nice to have a bug/issue tracker as well, as http://bugs.allacrost.org is running very old code and is yet another service that we have to maintain.

We also need to consider what types of repository services they offer. While we've been using SVN for years, it's an outdated source control model and most of the rest of the FOSS has moved on. I think we can narrow down our options to using either Git or Mercurial, which offer nearly the same features but in slightly different ways. I've used git sporadically in the past, and honestly I loathed it. The interface is confusing and difficult for someone new to learn. While it has some technical advantages over Mercurial, I much prefer a clean, logical user interface over some slight performance advantages (which don't really affect us since we're not a hosting service). When we migrate, it would be a good time to upgrade our repository technology off of SVN as well.

The link I posted earlier contains a chart showing the major hosting services and what they offer. I think the two ones we want to consider are GitHub and BitBucket. Both are run by private companies, but offer there services for free for open source/public repositories. GitHub is really popular and many FOSS projects have moved there in the years. But GitHub only offers git, not mercurial. BitBucket on the other hand hosts both git and mercurial repositories. Because I'm much more inclined to convert to mercurial than git, this is the option that I favor. I need to do more investigation to make sure this is the right choice for us, however.

As for when this will happen, I want it to happen sooner rather than later. I think after this development release is published (next month) I'll focus then on migrating us to a new service. The team is small right now so it will be the least disruptive time to do something like this. I'll update this thread appropriately with any news on this development.
Roots
Dictator

Re: Moving away from Sourceforge

Postby Roots » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:50 pm

UPDATE

So I've been playing around with BitBucket and running some tests with conversion of our SVN repository to HG (mercurial). So far, so good. BitBucket seems really well designed and easy to use, although I wish it was easier to find projects on there (you basically have to know the exact name of the project you're looking for). Repository/team management is really easy to do as well.

The conversion to hg has been a little bumpy, but I think I'm figuring it out. There's just multiple ways to do it (BitBucket's auto import tool versus doing it on my local machine) and some methods don't pull all the change history that I really want to keep. But I think this is going alright, and hg's command interface seems pretty similar to svn (quick reference here).

I'm beginning to wonder if it makes more sense to move away from sourceforge prior to the development release instead of after, since I hope to rebuild the team and have more regular contributors again soon after. It's easier to do this migration process when it's just myself working, since there will be a period of a day or so where SVN will be shut down and HG will be int he process of coming up. I might move the development release to be hosted on bitbucket instead of Sourceforge as well. We'll see.

Return to “Online Services”