Website Improvement Requests

Here you may share your feedback on any of the online services we provide, or report technical issues that you may have encountered.

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Website Improvement Requests

Postby Roots » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:31 pm

Now that we have Dave on board, we can finally fix the problems with our current website and add some new features to it. First things first though, let's figure out what has the highest priority. I think that these tasks are the most important:

#1: Anti-spam prevention for comments, so we can allow anonymous people to comment on stories again

#2: Improve site admin interface. Basically, I want anyone in the "Staff" user group to be able to edit any page on the site (so we make it more like a private wiki for the team to update)

#3: Fix visual glitches and other weirdness with the current site
EmreBFG
Team Manager

Postby EmreBFG » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:16 pm

Roots wrote:#2: Improve site admin interface. Basically, I want anyone in the "Staff" user group to be able to edit any page on the site (so we make it more like a private wiki for the team to update)

IMO, this is the most important fix needed for the website right now. Making it a private wiki for staff is a great idea, but first it needs to be fully functional. The user has to lock the site and change the theme before all admin functions are available, some of which are vital.

I'm not sure how to do this (if I did it'd be done a long time ago :() but it should be doable.

Roots wrote:#3: Fix visual glitches and other weirdness with the current site

Some of this may be directly related to how our current theme was written; specifically, I believe nunvuru used relative image links rather than absolute which is why when you go to http://www.allacrost.org/comment/reply/40#comment_form you don't see any graphics (it's looking for images in the http://www.allacrost.org/comment/reply/images directory, which obviously doesn't exist). There are other visual anomalies that Dave will encounter.
Drakkoon
Developer

Postby Drakkoon » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:26 am

Just a suggestion here, has anyone thought about using WordPress for the main website?

It can be installed in 2 minutes, the admin panel is golden and migrating your own theme to a WP theme is pretty easy.

I did just that this week with my site and it took me a single evening to install, learn how to use and learn how to make a theme for it.

It might be a good idea to give it a look, the admin panel let's editors edit each other's page afaik.
EmreBFG
Team Manager

Postby EmreBFG » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:57 am

Drakkoon wrote:Just a suggestion here, has anyone thought about using WordPress for the main website?

It can be installed in 2 minutes, the admin panel is golden and migrating your own theme to a WP theme is pretty easy.

I did just that this week with my site and it took me a single evening to install, learn how to use and learn how to make a theme for it.

It might be a good idea to give it a look, the admin panel let's editors edit each other's page afaik.

That's a good idea, Drak. I use Wordpress for my personal site so I know how easy it is to install and administer. It shouldn't be too hard to migrate our theme to a WP theme, either, although I haven't worked on a custom WP theme before.

I think we should have Dave look at our current implementation though before we tackle migration to Wordpress.
DWonderly
Web Designer

Postby DWonderly » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:37 am

Looking over the site I can see there are some things that don’t either add up or are just, how shall we say interesting… One thing I can see is we have the site broken up into 3 parts off the top of my head.

1. Wiki
2. Forums
3. Web Content

Now, these are things that are good to have however, we are currently using 3 different programs to accomplish this. This proposes a few problems that I can see.

1. Connectivity
What I mean by this is with one program to do all the work everything can be crossed with each other for quick help and/or access to all systems. This would help with the design and upkeep a lot. Also, referencing sections would be a lot faster and we could also add on a search function to search all forums, web content and public wikis.

2. Accessibility
Okay, 3 programs, 3 usernames/passwords. I have one word for this and that is ouch. I felt the tang of it over the weekend when we had to go through 3 different places just to give admin rights somewhere. This takes a while and if, heaven forbid, someone only signed up for the site and not for the forums with one user name and someone signed up for the forums with the same user name then tried to sign up for the site we would have a conflict of user names.

So, something to talk about here and I would love to have some input on what people think/feel about this but, we could get something put up with one user/pass works all the systems and there isn’t a struggle to get everything fixed if something went down.

Now, what do we use to get this done? Well, we are already using Drupal (http://www.drupal.org) as our site. Plus? MAJOR support. Downside? No stable Wiki and it lack user compatibility. So, we look on. I’m currently testing a few CMS programs to see what one would give us the best overall usability for what we are trying to do.

Anyway, I’m looking into what we have going on right now and seeing what I can do in the mean time however, what is the feedback of running one system for all three things?

Feedback feedback feedback. This is going to be the key. I can only see so much, if there are major problems please, feel free to e-mail me, AIM me or, find me and let me know :)
--Dave
EmreBFG
Team Manager

Postby EmreBFG » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:49 am

We've attempted to connect the forum and drupal site in the past but it seemed way too complicated to get correct. It looked like a hack job, if anything. If we had one system for everything it would be great, especially with our plans to allow user compatibility with the marketing site. (I call our root website the marketing site).

In short, a setup where Wiki, forum, and marketing site all connect would is an important criteria to consider - if we want to migrate away from Drupal.
DWonderly
Web Designer

Postby DWonderly » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:52 am

Well, going away form Drupal has it's pros and cons. Pros is we would be able to do it quickly and with ease. It will be more user friendly and we could control it better.

Cons... Drupal is a tried and true system. It has support like none other.

But, I think either a new one or Drupal we need to combine the site into one system.
--Dave
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:20 am

I strongly prefer to just use the existing software for forums, the website CM system, and the wiki. Yes, integrating the three of them will likely be unfeasible to do, but I honestly don't think that going to a system that can provide us with all three is the answer here. The software that we use for the site, wiki, and forums respectively are pretty much the creme of the crop. If we switch to some software which can provide us with all three, its very likely that we'll get a less functional wiki, site, and/or forum as a result. :disapprove: I can live with having multiple accounts (which we'd need to have anyway, since there's also the FTP, Sourceforge, the bug tracker, IRC, etc.)

Lets not get any crazy ideas about changing our web software. There is absolutely no good reason to do so at this point, and it will be a lot of work and sweat for very little (if any) positive results
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:19 pm

:huh: There is some overlap of purpose/use between the wiki and the webpage, but there is next to none for the forum. The wiki is used for permanent documentation, the forum is used for discussion.

However, the overlap of purpose with the wiki and the webpage is worth looking at - a large number of the content pages on the website could well work as wiki pages; such as the screenshots page, the artwork page, the written chapters page, etc. Wesnoth actually basically does this:
http://www.wesnoth.org/

The catch is that to do this, you have to come up with a wiki theme for those pages that is indistinguishable from the normal webpage, and which doesn't change when you log into the wiki. And also which links back to the regular website through the regular navigation bars, etc.
EmreBFG
Team Manager

Re: Website Improvement Requests

Postby EmreBFG » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:21 am

Roots wrote:#3: Fix visual glitches and other weirdness with the current site

Hello everyone. Long term absence excuses aside, I changed the website layout very slightly and wanted to let you know.

I was checking up on how things were going this evening and I noticed the "add comment" graphic was still on the comments page on the website. I changed the corresponding filenames for the graphics so they won't show up.

If that messed something up for some reason, please let me know.

Return to “Online Services”