Content Databases

Here you may share your feedback on any of the online services we provide, or report technical issues that you may have encountered.

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:57 pm

I was under the impression that we were going to set up a cron job that periodically (once a day or so) examines the FTP and modifies the database accordingly.
raging_hog
Contributor

Oblivion

Postby raging_hog » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:21 pm

Sorry I hadn't been on lately, lots of work and only little playtime. And there was so little feedback on the system that I thought no one cared(then naturally proceeded to cry myself to sleep and whip myself during evenings, right after tea).

I checked the system, it feels like a cavepainting and I really want to make it decent. I think the last time web apps were this bad was during the 60's. And those were the times people used a lot of acid.

The system right now has a component which collects(think comic book guy from Simpsons) a list of users' files and the other components parse this list and turn it into html, so the collecter should be put to a cron job or to make it collect the list real-time(which will make it elegant but resource-hungry and the server feels real slow most of the time even on ssh).

Other utterly horrible, horrible things in the system are some fatal errors and way too much previews which result in awful loading times(no caching). This is because the server makes the previews real-time and with this kind of once-a-day-or-so collecting they should be made at collection time.
Also, the sound-files are made with an evil embed-tag and should be made with nice object-tag.

It's now configured to support only few formats of files and it should be configured to use all necessary formats. Throw me a list of what is needed. Also tell me if you don't want every users' directories to be collected, the app's superfancy-config-system allows to configure the watched users.

I'll try and do something this weekend about the damn thing before it takes us all down with it. I must fix the evil bugs, configure it, make it produce previews during collection and put it on a cron job.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:39 pm

The only other filetypes that we need support for right now are .mp3 and .ogg. We still want to collect all user's directory.

Thanks RH. Sorry we haven't been more receptive to this, there's kind of always a lot going on here ya know? :eyespin: I'm starting to use it more and more now though, and I bet once we get these kinks worked out and get it setup properly, others will start using it more too :approve:
raging_hog
Contributor

Postby raging_hog » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:52 pm

Thanks for the list and the quick reply. When my head clears, I could grep through all the files of the users and check out the file formats there are just in case and then I'll code the System the right way.

np on the system reception as I know there are lot more grave issues and I as well haven't sacrificed myself nearly enough for the project recently. Why did working ever get in the way of fun things? I'm just glad to know Allacrost lives and breathes well
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:28 am

Roots wrote:The only other filetypes that we need support for right now are .mp3 and .ogg. We still want to collect all user's directory.

I think the _full_ list of filetypes that we need are:
• .png
• .jpg
• .gif

• .wav
• .mp3
• .ogg
raging_hog
Contributor

Some progress

Postby raging_hog » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:34 pm

The system is back on. It works reasonably well(=fast) if the specified user doesn't have a lot of media(especially audio) in his dir but thumbnails are not always generated correctly. It seems that corrupted images make php cart-wheel and it doesn't generate thumbnails for the following images either(of the specified user I think). Also oggs are shown now too but I don't know if they work as I'm not on a computer I have power to install things to. And filenames that contain spaces don't appear to show for now.

Is there a need to generate the audio preview? I thought most audio would be quite small but there seem to be lot of 100kb+ files there and they might slow the action down. The other choice would be to generate just the link to the audio.

Finally, the listing should probably be limited to a smaller amount, so the load times won't be so awful.

I'll look into these once I get home and have the time.

http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/rag ... s/main.php
raging_hog
Contributor

Postby raging_hog » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:25 pm

For now I removed sorting features which didn't work and added paging(which is configurable) so it's almost usable.

Thumbnails are generated too big now so they load a while and the system hasn't yet been put to a cron job.
I'd think that adding a small search engine would be nice too.

http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/rag ... s/main.php
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:19 am

I just noticed that this system is down (and precisely when I needed to use it to find some older art). Any thoughts on when it can be back up? :angel:
raging_hog
Contributor

Postby raging_hog » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:48 pm

I ran the cataloger for all users and it's ready to be browsed.

Sorry for the late reply and action, I'll try to make myself more available.

Is it ok that I set the cron job up?
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:54 pm

raging_hog wrote:Is it ok that I set the cron job up?

No problem. As long as it doesn't steal a lot of CPU time from the server (or if it does, it is run with the maximum niceness level to yield to other processes). Thanks!

Return to “Online Services”