NEW: Allacrost Discord channel

Here you may share your feedback on any of the online services we provide, or report technical issues that you may have encountered.

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

NEW: Allacrost Discord channel

Postby Roots » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:48 am

We tried using Slack as our chat service, but found it too restrictive (people needed to be granted special invites to join, and there was no way to make the channel open and public). So we chose to go with Discord instead, even though Slack had some convenient features that integrated into our bitbucket page.

Original Post Below
-------------------------------

Hey guys, I want to experiment with our team using slack. If you don't know what slack is, it's basically like a collection of chat channels that retains conversations even when you aren't actively logged in (unlike our IRC channel, where if you weren't logged in when a conversation happened, you'll never know about it). You can also use it to share files and other things, but for now I just want to play around with using it for active discussions about things.

This will not replace the forums or IRC. The forums I still expect to be where the majority of our communication takes place. But for quick discussions and Q&A, slack might be better suited. And I know historically that our IRC channel almost never has any non-programmers joining it. :/ Slack has a desktop app, or you can simply use your web-browser so it's very quick and easy to get to.

So yeah, go to the link below and make an account and lets give it a try. One bad thing about slack is that you have to receive an invitation to join (basically, I have to approve it). But I think I configured it so if you use an allacrost.org or gmail.com e-mail address, you don't need my approval to sign in. Anyway, I'll be hanging out in there and keeping an eye out for any join requests I need to accept.

https://allacrost.slack.com/signup
Djinn_in_Tonic

Re: NEW: Allacrost Slack channel

Postby Djinn_in_Tonic » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:50 pm

Note that it seems to only accept @allocrost.org email addresses: I could NOT sign up with gmail through the given link.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:57 pm

Oh, now I see why. It won't allow generic e-mail domains like gmail.com to be added. Bummer. :( I'll see if there's some other means that people can automatically send a request to join. In the mean time, I sent you an invitation directly.

Also one cool thing I found out last night is that we can integrate bitbucket changes as automatic slack channel updates. Right now I have the #code channel configured to update whenever anyone adds or changes an issue, creates or merges a pull request, or makes a commit to the master repository.
Jormuny

Postby Jormuny » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:59 pm

Nope, it pre-adds @allacrost.org and it is not possible to change it on the page it seems :| I tried entering "just something", but of course it seeks to verify it, so no go.

EDIT: You could maybe try setting up mattermost on the allacrost server, as another idea.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:41 pm

Huh, that's weird. I guess if you whitelist an e-mail address it assumes you only want those with that e-mail address to be allowed. I turned it off so that it's invitation only now. I sent an invitation to you Jormuny, on the e-mail address tied to your forum account. I'll keep reading the documentation and figure out if there's a way to get around this dumb invite-only system.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:54 pm

Here's a discord server that I setup for us:
https://discord.gg/M3wR2py

If I understand this correctly, discord pretty much has the same set of features as slack, but you don't need to be sent an invitation to join. So you all should be able to hop right on. I created all the same channels as exist on our slack server. The basic features of being able to chat, share content, and retain conversations seems to be the same on discord. Although I doubt we'll be able to do the bitbucket integration like we have on slack, but that feature was really just icing on the cake anyway.

I'm going to play around with discord some more and if it suits our needs better than slack does (specifically, by being open for anyone to join), then I think I'll close the slack channel and we'll use discord.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:57 pm

I'm going to shutdown our slack channel. Discord is easier for anyone to hop on and join and that open nature is sorely needed for a project like ours. The only two things that I like about slack over discord are that we can have our own subdomain link and it has integration with bitbucket. The first can be replaced by creating our own subdomain link and redirecting. The second is a nice to have, but isn't fully necessary.

As for our IRC channel, I'm going to keep it around simply because its been a part of this project forever and some people do pop in there now and again. But I'm going to make it explicit that we prefer discussions to happen on discord going forward.

This week I'm going to do the following:
1) Permanently shutdown our slack channel (which hasn't been used by anyone in over a month)
2) Setup a redirect link on our site to easily access our discord channel (probably something like allacrost.org/discord)
3) Add a direct link to our discord channel somewhere on the main page
4) Update relevant pages in the wiki to reference our new discord channel and proclaim it as our primary chat location (replacing IRC)
5) Update the IRC channel topic to mention the discord server
6) Make a news post on our website announcing our new use of discord and encourage others to join. Also going to give a general update on the project status and why we've been inactive for the last 6 weeks.
Roots
Dictator

Re: NEW: Allacrost Discord channel

Postby Roots » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:10 pm

Everything above is now done, with the exception of updating the wiki pages which I'll get around to sometime. Going to http://chat.allacrost.org will now redirect you to our discord server, and this link is available on the front page of the site.

Return to “Online Services”