Anime worth watching

Got something to say that doesn't fit anywhere else? It goes here

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Anime worth watching

Post by Roots » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:28 pm

I thought we had a general anime thread in these forums but I guess we don't. So lets use this thread to recommend the good stuff. :cool:

My anime watching has been in sharp decline in the past year, partially due to lack of time/interest. Last week I noticed a series that aired this year that I completely missed, so I downloaded the first few episodes to give it a shot. Before I had even finished watching the second episode, I was already downloading the rest. The anime is Macross Frontier. I've seen Macross Zero (OVA) before, but knew nothing else about the Macross series (there are several TV episodes/movies/OVAs). I loved it, and I've already watched the entire thing twice in one week. That's very rare for me. :angel: It feels a lot like Gundam Seed to me, which is another series that I love. Its a serious (but not too serious) space drama about an enormous human convoy seeking a new planet to colonize and a bizarre alien race that confronts them. It has a great plot, good characters, and an awesome soundtrack (which I also downloaded and am listening to right now). Highly recommended :approve:
AxlTrozz

Re: Anime worth watching

Post by AxlTrozz » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:26 pm

I think I saw the original series like 17 years ago, but they called "robotech" on my country, I didn't miss even one chapter of the first season, but they stop at the second season :(

And is one of my favorites anime.

In other note:
I can recommend "Special Detective Cobra" I think that was the name, they pass 9 episodes on my country but they censor the series so I missed almost all, but if you have a chance check it, you'll love it
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:53 am

Some ones that I watched, rated with stars:
1/5 being crap, 5/5 being awesome
Serial means it's a continuous, flowing story, episodic means it's a "wrap up the plot in each episode thing" like scooby doo.

4/5 - Last Exile: very cool sci-fi / steampunk-ish show about small plane courier pilots in a world with flying ships, who become embroiled in a desperate quest to undo an international conspiracy. Nice plot, nice characters, the whole thing has this sort of dreamy, detached stage-play feel to it (which helps make it work, although it's a bit less in-your face than some other series because of it). Serial. Very cool animation of the flying ships.

4/5 - Full Metal Alchemist: A show about world vaguely parallel to 18th century europe, where a form of sorcery allowing arbitrary recombination of materials, called "alchemy", is possible. Two young prodigies at the art have a disaster in trying to use it to resurrect their dead mother, and go on a quest to find the elusive "Philosopher's Stone", which they believe will be able to restore their now badly-damaged bodies. Incredible music, great characters, and a lot of good plot and intrigue. Some annoying camp/slapstick, but not enough to hurt the storytelling. Serial, with a few episodic sections.

1.5/5 - Naruto: You're probably already familiar with this one. Annoying, and often a bit childish, but has some really interesting ideas about magic, and the manipulation thereof. The manga's actually pretty nice, and has a fairly interesting and complex plot at this point, but the actual anime is usually either poorly produced, or is filler half the time. It's a shame too - they occasionally outsource production of the anime, for certain pivotal episodes to another company, and it tends to show how awesome the thing could be. If they kept the production value really high, and took themselves a lot more seriously / made the show a good bit darker and more atmospheric (all without changing the plot), it would be a great show. As it is, though, it's really not worth watching. Serial, with some very episodic filler.

2/5 - Bleach: Naruto with a less annoying protagonist. Still a lot of camp/slapstick in it, but it has some nice action sequences. Serial, some episodic filler.

5/5 - Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex: Just plain awesome. A perfect combination of anime and cyberpunk. Very cool series. Really exemplifies the best of anime. :approve: A mix of serial and episodic elements.

4.5/5 - Cowboy Beebop: A fun series about a group of bounty hunters, aka "cowboys" living off the spaceways in a futuristic, technologically stagnant solar system. Has an "old anime" feel to the way a number of things are drawn, but is well-animated (unlike a lot of crappy, old anime). Episodic besides character introductions.

3/5 - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Has everything you could possible want: aliens. Giant robots. Beastmen. Scantily clad women with enormous guns. People winning gunfights with katanas. Collosal battles against impossible odds. Punches so epic they tear a hole in the space-time continuum. Robots so big they can throw galaxies around like frisbees. All told, it's an absolutely ridiculous parody of most mecha/space anime, and yet is strangely endearing and manages to somewhat transcend being just a parody. Serial.

3.5/5 - Basilisk: Like Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliette", except with ninjas. Unfortunately/fortunately, depending on your tastes, delves into the usual "ridiculous ninja abilities" that anime is famous for. Uniformly well drawn/animated, and a somewhat dark, gritty tale overall. Virtually no camp/slapstick to it, IIRC. Serial.

3/5 - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: The adventures of "your average high school boy", who becomes friends with a cute, kooky female classmate whom he later realizes may (unbeknownst to her), be god. The story centers on him and a few other friends trying to carefully shape her emotional state to keep her from unwittingly destroying the universe. It's either funny, or terrifying, I can't decide which. May also serve as a social critique of male japanese gender roles. :heh: Episodic besides character introductions - somewhat more serial at the beginning.

4/5 - Samurai 7: A retelling and significantly more complex version of Kurosawa's classic "seven samurai", but set in a futuristic setting with giant robots. Wonderfully well-animated. Suffers from the ridiculous-even-for-anime premise of samurai beating giant robots with nothing but their swords, but if you can get past that bit of "suspension of disbelief", it's a wonderful show, with some really great action and plotwork in it. Serial.

4/5 - Serial Experiments Lain: an interesting cyberpunk drama about a prodigiously computer-skilled young girl, who begins to receive emails from a classmate that committed suicide, and begins a personal investigation of the matter. Can't say more without spoiling; great stuff if you love cyberpunk, like me. Serial (pun apparently intended on the author's part).
freegamer

Post by freegamer » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:39 pm

The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, seial, possibly some of the funniest moments I've ever seen on a television set.
Rain
Musician

Post by Rain » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:36 am

I just started watching the complete Inuyasha series and while I like it, I yearn for something a bit darker and more violent. What I do like about the series is the japanese mythological creatures and the relationship between characters along with anti-hero of sorts Inuyasha. It's very well polished.

Can someone point me to something else that might be a little more to my liking?
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:15 pm

Rain wrote:Can someone point me to something else that might be a little more to my liking?
Watch Berserk. Its very dark, very anti-hero, and very very awesome. :approve:
Rain
Musician

Post by Rain » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:17 pm

Roots wrote:
Rain wrote:Can someone point me to something else that might be a little more to my liking?
Watch Berserk. Its very dark, very anti-hero, and very very awesome. :approve:
For some reason, I anticipated Berserk being mentioned. :D

And yes, I will check it out. I've always been curious about it. It sounds just like what I am looking for. Thanks for the recommendation
'When Zeon lost his powers, he fell to Earth, and created a giant crator where he hit. His moan destroyed the mountains and the crater was buried by the debris.'

(of Zeon)

Raul23

Post by Raul23 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:13 am

Robotech is the best--this comes from back in the day when anime was Japanese animation or even Japanimation. I'm always kind of amazed with how much attention is given to anime how very little of it is any good--there's some great movies, but it's been twenty years and nothing has yet to come close to toppling Akira; not that Ghost in the Shell is bad and I do enjoy Miyazaki a lot.

Anyone ever watch the American series Exo-Squad? I loved it as a kid and, rewatching it now, several years later it's pretty amazing how deep and topical the series is.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:17 am

Robotech is a dirty mix of the Macross series (not including Macross Frontier). From what I understand they basically took all the other macross series and stiched them together and called it Robotech instead of Macross. Blasphemy! I've never watched Robotech, but I did recently download and watch the Macross 7 series.
Raul23

Post by Raul23 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:29 am

Woah, Robotech is an infinitely cooler name than Macross--either way, Exo-Squad is a far more interesting and relevant take on the concept.