Building myself a new PC...

Got something to say that doesn't fit anywhere else? It goes here

Moderator: Staff

Roots
Dictator

Building myself a new PC...

Postby Roots » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:05 am

I figured its about time I build myself a new PC. My current system is about 4 years old now and isn't quite doing it for me like it used to. The northbridge heatsink fan was dying on me a while back (and being REALLY loud about it), so I bought a passive heatsink that isn't as effective and as a result, sometimes freezes my whole system. :( Also my PC has horrible lag when playing online games like Counter-Strike Source or Team Fortress 2 (I think because I don't have enough RAM, so I upgraded and then discovered that the new RAM and the old RAM wouldn't work together :bash: ). And I've been having annoyances with my USB wireless adapter as well, especially in Linux. So rather than continue to try and keep this thing humming, I just decided to start fresh.

My goals with this system are:
  • Under $1,000 (not including monitor)
  • Quiet enough that I can sleep with it on at night and not be bothered by the sound
  • Cooled sufficiently and stable
  • Able to play the newest games around well (and also to compile Allacrost faster :heh: )
  • All hardware components are well supported in Linux

So here's what I got so far:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Publi ... er=7282865

Ignore that there are three PSUs (power suppies) right now. I couldn't decide between them, although I think I'm going to go with the Corsair 750W one. A quad core CPU (currently I only have a single core), 4GB of RAM (currently only have 1GB), 2x HDD space than what I have now, etc etc. I'm pretty happy with how its coming along so far, although I'm concerned about choosing Intel as my motherboard manufacturer (never tried them, and not really a supporter of Intel products int he first place). There didn't seem to be any other mobo that matched what I was looking for though (notice that the mobo heatsinks are passive...no annoyingly small, loud fans). I'm also concerned about the noise of each component. Only the heat sink I chose gives a noise level in the specifications, nothing else. So I basically used fan size and count to decide on the most quiet components. The larger the fan, the more airflow it can produce with a lower RPM, and lower RPM means less noise. The case has 3 120mm fans and 1 gigantic 200mm fan at the top. The Corsair PSU I'm leaning towards has 1 140mm fan with automatically controlled speed based on the heat.

Anyway just thought I'd share all this in case any other PC building people want to share their thoughts. :angel:
ElonNarai
Developer

Re: Building myself a new PC...

Postby ElonNarai » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:43 pm

Intel is fine, the only thing you really don't want from them is their graphics card, except larrabee but that is done by another team ;)
Documenter and coder
Roots
Dictator

Re: Building myself a new PC...

Postby Roots » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:41 pm

After some careful analysis over this past week I've updated my system build (check the link in the first post) and I think I've got what I've been looking for. Changes I made to the original system include:

• Updated graphics card from a MSI 8800 GeForce to an EVGA 9800 GTX
  • Swapped out the Corsair 750W PSU with a Thermaltake 750W that is a little bit cheaper and is modular
  • Replaced Intel motherboard with a Gigabyte model that someone recommended to me
  • Replaced a low-end quad core Intel CPU with a high-end dual core one

Final cost after including shipping and subtracting rebates is about $1,240. A little over my target of $1,200 (including monitor) but that's perfectly acceptable. :D

Return to “General Chat”