Hello, we apologize but forum registrations are non-functional at this time. This issue should be fixed around mid-December. Until then, please stop by our Discord channel if you'd like to get in touch with the team. Thanks!

Moving From Windows to Linux

Got something to say that doesn't fit anywhere else? It goes here

Moderator: Staff

Gallivan
Team Manager

Post by Gallivan » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:03 am

Nice background!

Oh yeah, I switched back to Windows.
gorzuate
Developer

Post by gorzuate » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:08 am

Gallivan wrote: Oh yeah, I switched back to Windows.
:ohnoes:
Steu
Developer

Post by Steu » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:15 am

So....which game is your addiction? :heh:
Gallivan
Team Manager

Post by Gallivan » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:55 am

Adobe Photoshop. :D

I also had latency issues with numerous online games, so I figured until I actually used Linux for immense coding, windows would be fine.
Steu
Developer

Post by Steu » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:07 am

I've installed linux numerous times but I keep going back to windows cause I keep wanting to play games that aren't for linux and/or don't run well on Wine. Eventually I want to get a 2nd machine so I can have both a windows and a linux box.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:21 pm

Steu wrote:I've installed linux numerous times but I keep going back to windows cause I keep wanting to play games that aren't for linux and/or don't run well on Wine. Eventually I want to get a 2nd machine so I can have both a windows and a linux box.
You don't need a 2nd machine. I repartitioned my hard drive and installed Windows XP on a new partition I created, and setup grub to allow me to boot to Linux (by default) or Windows XP. I had absolutely no difficulties in doing this, and now I can play games in Windows with my primary desktop (with all the best hardware). The only drawback of course is that to switch between operating systems, I have to reboot my PC.

I know its also possible to create a FAT32 partition to allow Linux and Windows to share files, but I don't do anything productive in Windows anyway so I haven't bothered with it.
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:23 pm

Gallivan wrote:Adobe Photoshop. :D

I also had latency issues with numerous online games, so I figured until I actually used Linux for immense coding, windows would be fine.
Yeah, photoshop is kind of a clincher, because the Gimp just isn't a suitable replacement for serious work.

Which is really a shame, because Photoshop itself has a lot of serious problems of design - gimp unfortunately didn't target themselves at fixing these issues, and instead just ... kinda threw stuff together. Admittedly they had a lot on their plates, implementing a whole widget kit, and an extremely non-trivial application all at the same time, but that doesn't negate their overall failure to improve on their competition.
Steu
Developer

Post by Steu » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:43 pm

Roots wrote:
Steu wrote:I've installed linux numerous times but I keep going back to windows cause I keep wanting to play games that aren't for linux and/or don't run well on Wine. Eventually I want to get a 2nd machine so I can have both a windows and a linux box.
You don't need a 2nd machine. I repartitioned my hard drive and installed Windows XP on a new partition I created, and setup grub to allow me to boot to Linux (by default) or Windows XP. I had absolutely no difficulties in doing this, and now I can play games in Windows with my primary desktop (with all the best hardware). The only drawback of course is that to switch between operating systems, I have to reboot my PC.

I know its also possible to create a FAT32 partition to allow Linux and Windows to share files, but I don't do anything productive in Windows anyway so I haven't bothered with it.
I hate re-booting with a passion, I restart my pc maybe once a month. That's why dual-booting always ticked me off, I had to restart my pc to get to the other OS. I would end up convincing myself that I didn't need to go to the other OS after all.
rujasu
Developer

Post by rujasu » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:59 pm

I'm currently dual-booting (Windows for emergencies, basically) but from what I've been hearing, it's becoming much easier to run Windows in a virtual box.

But yeah, programs like Photoshop are a pain. Photoshop takes a lot of power to run, so you'd probably have a tough time running it on a VM, and it won't run on WINE whatsoever. I'm surprised there hasn't been a significant effort to improve/replace the GIMP, but then again the FOSS movement is spread thin enough as it is.
Drakkoon
Developer

Post by Drakkoon » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:26 pm

There are plans to remake the GIMP interface, but I think the devs are split on this.
And Photoshop CS2 ran great on wine, for 1 time only. The other times it said I had an hardware error. I don't understand how some are able to run it.

And I've tried virtual machines, but you can't make a virtual copy of your own system (well atleast I don't know how) so it's kinda hard to do anything that requires some 3D power, but works fine for most things.
Winter Knight
Contributor

Post by Winter Knight » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:53 pm

I have tried to switch to Linux several times since the late 90's. It usually just didn't take. Part of the problem was trying to get the network working. I didn't know how. To read something online, such as "Setting Up Your Network In Linux", I had to reboot to Windows. Then, to try something I learned, I had to reboot back into Linux. And it wouldn't work. I learned years later that I was using a "win-modem," and that there weren't any drivers for it.

Several things helped me switch. I was living with my girlfriend at the time, and bought her a computer. At first, I tried sharing our dialup internet access by using Windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). That was a pain. Every time I wanted to reboot my computer for whatever reason, she would lose internet access. I solved it by using a third machine--a Pentium II, and installed smoothwall on it. I bought an external hayes compatible modem. This setup worked great. I didn't even have to disconnect dialup when I rebooted my own computer. To anyone stuck on dialup, I recommend a dedicated firewall just for that reason, even if you don't need a network.

When I decided to try Linux again, I didn't have to setup a dialup modem to it. That helped a lot. I chose Damn Small Linux. I only chose it because it only took a few hours to download on dialup, whereas something like Debian would have taken a week. However, I recommend it to newbies now, because if you hose your system, all you have to do to fix it is reboot. It is a LiveCD.

I was still frequently rebooting from Linux to Windows and back, though. There were some things I needed Windows for. And I was still more comfortable in Windows. I was using it more often. I decided to build myself a new computer, so I wouldn't have to reboot so much. That decision paid off. I also recommend it to anyone trying to switch. Rebooting is just too much of a hassle, and takes too much time. A semi-decent second computer (PIII) is less than $100, if you know how to buy parts and build a computer.

I don't play games as much as I used to. That probably helped the switch too.

I started using Damn Small Linux a few years ago, at version 0.9.0.1. I started using Debian a little over a year ago. I started using stable (Sarge), and then moved to Testing last December when I became a maintainer. Debian is easier to modify, and I have it just the way I want it. I have never re-installed. I have a dedicated Windows box, which is slightly less powerful than my Linux box. It usually just sits here, dormant.

To all newbies, I recommend:
* getting a second computer
* LiveCD