Starcraft 2

Got something to say that doesn't fit anywhere else? It goes here

Moderator: Staff

Ranger M

Starcraft 2

Postby Ranger M » Fri May 25, 2007 4:30 pm

linky

I just found out about this today, and damn it looks good :eyespin:

serioulsy, I've always wanted a starcraft sequal and this....

Words don't describe how happy this makes me. (and I love the cinematic trailer)
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Fri May 25, 2007 5:26 pm

Yeah, I saw these a few days ago. Damn good looking; really, a realization of a number of things they'd probably originally intended for starcraft, but just couldn't realistically do in SC1's sprite engine.

:| Yet another way to waste my time.

On some counts, I'm happy to see that they're including even more elements of the book "Starship Troopers" (which starcraft is largely a lift, from) into the game; such as the marines with jetpacks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_T ... nnovations

I'm also seriously hoping that they can fix the "protoss can't repair" game-design problem. It always struck me as a bit whack that this hyper-advanced race couldn't repair any of their machinery, or heal themselves, when the terrans can do both.
gorzuate
Developer

Postby gorzuate » Fri May 25, 2007 6:15 pm

Jetryl wrote:I'm also seriously hoping that they can fix the "protoss can't repair" game-design problem. It always struck me as a bit whack that this hyper-advanced race couldn't repair any of their machinery, or heal themselves, when the terrans can do both.

Ah, but they have regenerating shields!
ChopperDave
Developer

Postby ChopperDave » Fri May 25, 2007 6:31 pm

Yeah I heard about this a few days ago too. It's already hard enough getting Roots to stop playing SC1. Now we're really in trouble.
Jetryl
Artist

Postby Jetryl » Fri May 25, 2007 8:23 pm

gorzuate wrote:
Jetryl wrote:I'm also seriously hoping that they can fix the "protoss can't repair" game-design problem. It always struck me as a bit whack that this hyper-advanced race couldn't repair any of their machinery, or heal themselves, when the terrans can do both.

Ah, but they have regenerating shields!

Which suck, because they take full damage from everything. My preferred way to play protoss is to get a dark archon, use it + an enemy SCV to field terrans as well, and go to war with zealots, dark/light templar, and marines backed up with medics.

Is this an effective way to play? Hell no. Trying that against any decent player will get you mopped. But god it makes for some powerful zealots. :devil: It's because of stuff like that that I enjoy Warcraft III far, far more than I liked starcraft. You can use wacky, "inefficient" strategies in WC3, and they actually are quite effective.

ChopperDave wrote:Yeah I heard about this a few days ago too. It's already hard enough getting Roots to stop playing SC1. Now we're really in trouble.

Actually, this might be just the thing to make him stop playing SC1, permanently. :axe:
ChopperDave
Developer

Postby ChopperDave » Fri May 25, 2007 9:26 pm

Actually, this might be just the thing to make him stop playing SC1, permanently.

That's so not the point :heh: .
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Fri May 25, 2007 10:50 pm

I actually dislike a lot of the graphics, mostly because they are 3D. It is too difficult to make out individual units against the terrain, especially since everything has some sort of flashy/glow/bloom effect. :rolleyes:
Disto

Postby Disto » Sat May 26, 2007 8:59 pm

I knew about this before it became public :angel: (they put the website up first and because I spend my time over at Infinity obviously I *had* to hear about it.

I agree with Roots, I also dislike the graphics, and for similar reasons. I also don't particulary like the cartoony style but kudos to the artists over at Blizzard for doing a good job on it, especially the levels.

Pity that Supreme Commander made the great engine, and super gameplay but they didn't give the artists enough time to make a super time of it.
wayfarer
Contributor

Postby wayfarer » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:37 pm

Well it gets spread over the whole internet.
Though the graphics do hurt my eyes they look like Toy story.

Though in the end I'll stay at Dawn of War. Their Marines look at least as if they have seen combat.
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore."
prophile

Postby prophile » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:55 pm

I want this game. I want it now, and I want it with lasers.

Return to “General Chat”