Hello, we apologize but forum registrations are non-functional at this time. This issue should be fixed around mid-December. Until then, please stop by our Discord channel if you'd like to get in touch with the team. Thanks!

Genesis (dynamic MMORPG)

Share your own game ideas, inform the community about your own works in progress, or appraise of other yet-to-be released games.

Moderator: Staff

EmreBFG
Team Manager

Genesis (dynamic MMORPG)

Post by EmreBFG » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:11 pm

Just found this during lunch break... http://www.playgenesis.com/index2.htm

Check out the FAQ if you're interested. It's a thorough and interesting look into the author's thinking.

My good wishes go out to him, but I'm not sure I would be hooked on this game (played way too many realistic medieval games in my day) like I would a space sim or something with a more modern setting. I found Ultima Online too hum-de-dum to play for more than a couple weeks.

The Ultima-esque viewpoint from which players interact doesn't have me sold either -- I played Ultima 15 years ago and that was very interactive even compared to today's world. If I want to really be part of a realistic world, I have to be able to change perspective (ie look at something from many viewpoints, look out at the horizon, fly through the air, etc).

EDIT: Woohoo, 100th post :D (about time)
Steu
Developer

Post by Steu » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:15 pm

I saw that the other day, and it didn't inspire me either.
Loodwig
Musician

Post by Loodwig » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:45 pm

eh, freedom is overrated. "oh look, an Item... lemme see what this is... oh darn, now I have to kill a guard... oh darn, now I'm a murderer... oh darn, now I can't beat the game."
"We want a simpler and more melodic style for music, a simple, less complicated emotional state, and dissonance again relegated to its proper place as one element of music..."
~Sergei Prokofiev
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:02 pm

The technology behind the modeling of the plants inspired me. The perspective/point-of-view in that game, though, is really a black mark against it.

There are many isometric projections that would work wonderfully, but not that one.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:31 pm

I don't buy into the whole idea that "a game that lets you do anything" would be an incredibly good and wonderful game. That's what real life is for, not games. I hate games that present such a plethora of possible paths that one could pursue (FFX-2 comes to mind, which I still haven't beat). I like to be "guided" by the game to a moderate degree by being given tasks ("go retrieve that treasure", "go save that princess") and then once my goal is clear, I can use my own brain and figure out the optimal path to achieving it......maybe I feel that way because I'm an engineer, who knows. :heh:

I looked only briefly at the game's site. I saw nothing that really impressed me, but the video where it was creating an island and watching the clouds peel through mountains was pretty cool.
Ranger M

Post by Ranger M » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:54 am

Jetryl wrote:The technology behind the modeling of the plants inspired me. The perspective/point-of-view in that game, though, is really a black mark against it.

There are many isometric projections that would work wonderfully, but not that one.
I don't think that it is isometric, it simply has a fixed veiwpoint on a 3D world in order to make rendering easier so that the models can have much higher polycounts without affect performance (or something like that i read it somewhere while browsing the site).
turin

Post by turin » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:36 pm

I don't think jetryl was referring to the art itself (which is clearly 3d, not isometric), but rather to the angle at which it was presented. If that angle is not controllable by the player, it would be a very irritating game to play.
I am Turin Turambar, Master of Doom, by Doom Mastered.
Also a general meddler at the Wesnoth forums.
Jetryl
Artist

Post by Jetryl » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:40 pm

turin wrote:I don't think jetryl was referring to the art itself (which is clearly 3d, not isometric), but rather to the angle at which it was presented. If that angle is not controllable by the player, it would be a very irritating game to play.
You cannot change that angle (the angle was conventional for old 2d rpgs, like ultima). The reason for this is that by not having to change the angle, the game can make some extreme optimizations in the 3d rendering code.
Safir-Kreuz
Artist

Post by Safir-Kreuz » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:08 am

Anymore I am a real fan of Isometric. Perhaps that is because I finally figured out how to make the graphics. :rolleyes: As far as 3d goes... I would love to, but my computer barely works with Poser6 and I don't really understand the software for 3dStudioMax... so confused.

For this game, it's a neat concept, yet it seems to me that it's more to attract people who play games for interaction instead of story. Kinda like the people who just go around to shoot people in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas :D (Um... lol... I only played it to find the nice juicy bugs and glitches, kinda a hobby of mine.)
Loodwig
Musician

Post by Loodwig » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:07 am

Isometric? I need your help then!

I'm having such a hard time designing a good isometric engine (even conceptually with graphics).

the more I see it these days, everything is 3d. I'm pleased to see that 1st person is going the wayside for the most part (cough halo cough catch up).
"We want a simpler and more melodic style for music, a simple, less complicated emotional state, and dissonance again relegated to its proper place as one element of music..."
~Sergei Prokofiev
Ranger M

Post by Ranger M » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:28 am

Jetryl wrote:You cannot change that angle (the angle was conventional for old 2d rpgs, like ultima). The reason for this is that by not having to change the angle, the game can make some extreme optimizations in the 3d rendering code.
this is what I meant, the angle also limits that amount that is on screen at once, so you don't need to load and render objects in the distance (another performance boost)