Hello, we apologize but forum registrations are non-functional at this time. This issue should be fixed around mid-December. Until then, please stop by our Discord channel if you'd like to get in touch with the team. Thanks!

Ysaneya's Infinity Prototype

Share your own game ideas, inform the community about your own works in progress, or appraise of other yet-to-be released games.

Moderator: Staff

EmreBFG
Team Manager

Ysaneya's Infinity Prototype

Post by EmreBFG » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:08 pm

I've been following this project for a long time now, and there's finally a public release. The final game is aiming to be a sandbox space/planet MMO, but this prototype is just the combat portion in an arena setting.

Check it out: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums ... _id=406239

It requires a fairly hefty computer (which I thankfully have) but it's well worth a look. Ysaneya apparently has one of the same dream's I have about a great game, but he actually went and did it :D
Loodwig
Musician

Post by Loodwig » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:25 pm

What's your dream?
"We want a simpler and more melodic style for music, a simple, less complicated emotional state, and dissonance again relegated to its proper place as one element of music..."
~Sergei Prokofiev
EmreBFG
Team Manager

Post by EmreBFG » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:24 pm

Loodwig wrote:What's your dream?
For years, since childhood really, I've wanted to be able to experience going out into outer space. It probably came out of watching old Star Trek episodes. It was always just a thought, until I started to play the GTA games. The freedom they afford is just unmatched, especially San Andreas. I've always been a fan of sandbox games (like Ultima 6), but San Andreas took the cake for me - I can spend hours just riding motorcycles around the San Andreas world. So what if we could get into a spaceship, take off through the atmosphere, navigate through the void of space, land on a spacestation, and find uncharted planets... all through first or third person?

Infinity aims to do most of these things, including seamless transition between planetary and space environments, realistic proportions of objects and space, and uncharted planets (through procedural algorithms). The only thing it won't do is navigating outside of a spaceship, like walking around in your ship, in a city, or on a spacestation. If they included that, I'd be in heaven.

A project like Infinity is on my list of game designs that I develop now and then... I just hope Ysaneya can finish it so I can live most of that dream :angel:

On a similar note, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion offers a similar opportunity, in a medieval setting, but it fails to deliver on some accounts, including modes of transportation (only horse and walking) and other things. Its world is not procedurally generated, which limits what can be done, but also makes things more personal and polished (theoretically).

Do you have anything like this you dream you could experience in a game or simulation?
Loodwig
Musician

Post by Loodwig » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:28 am

emrebfg wrote: Do you have anything like this you dream you could experience in a game or simulation?
One of my greatest childhood dreams has been to create a work of musical art, and have people moved by it. I want it to tell a story words could never tell. Trouble is, art music is as subjective as visual modern art, so as such... the purpose is misguided, intentionally or otherwise.

My dream for four years (apart from those sensible ambitions of life) has been to create a medium to present musical art with a profound story. Ultimately I settled on a video game with a mediocre story. As such, when I'm not paying bills or tending to other great responsibilities, I'm working on the game, or thinking about working on the game.

I remember really enjoying games with a dynamic world, or at least a world that you could do a lot in, get lost in, and just have fun in. My complaint of TES games has been that their worlds are so vast and sand-box, that you are somewhat removed from the game. I like freedom, but I also like to go somewhere. TES games, like GTA3, were great fun for a while, but after a time they became very much the same. I also didn't like being able to accidentally kill the person you are talking to because you hit the wrong key. One of those "Oh crap, I didn't mean to draw my sword.. I meant to hit "jump." Or worse still "yay, I killed the knight and got money, oh wait, now I can't beat the game..."

But I suppose to each their own.
"We want a simpler and more melodic style for music, a simple, less complicated emotional state, and dissonance again relegated to its proper place as one element of music..."
~Sergei Prokofiev
EmreBFG
Team Manager

Post by EmreBFG » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:57 am

Loodwig wrote:I remember really enjoying games with a dynamic world, or at least a world that you could do a lot in, get lost in, and just have fun in. My complaint of TES games has been that their worlds are so vast and sand-box, that you are somewhat removed from the game. I like freedom, but I also like to go somewhere. TES games, like GTA3, were great fun for a while, but after a time they became very much the same. I also didn't like being able to accidentally kill the person you are talking to because you hit the wrong key. One of those "Oh crap, I didn't mean to draw my sword.. I meant to hit "jump." Or worse still "yay, I killed the knight and got money, oh wait, now I can't beat the game..."

Yea, I feel the same way about TES games. I really enjoy them for a while, and then I get "meh" about them. Oblivion is beautiful, but a lot of the NPCs are bland, sometimes repeating conversations that I heard next door. I surprisingly didn't get bored of GTA3, but it did take me a long time to get into. I started off and was overwhelmed and let it go for a few months, and then came back to beat the game. The world of GTA3:SA is more unique than Oblivion's (at least, the areas within are more diverse) so that may play a part in it.
Loodwig
Musician

Post by Loodwig » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:09 pm

makes sense.
~Sergei Prokofiev
Disto

Post by Disto » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:14 pm

emrebfg wrote:
Loodwig wrote:I remember really enjoying games with a dynamic world, or at least a world that you could do a lot in, get lost in, and just have fun in. My complaint of TES games has been that their worlds are so vast and sand-box, that you are somewhat removed from the game. I like freedom, but I also like to go somewhere. TES games, like GTA3, were great fun for a while, but after a time they became very much the same. I also didn't like being able to accidentally kill the person you are talking to because you hit the wrong key. One of those "Oh crap, I didn't mean to draw my sword.. I meant to hit "jump." Or worse still "yay, I killed the knight and got money, oh wait, now I can't beat the game..."

Yea, I feel the same way about TES games. I really enjoy them for a while, and then I get "meh" about them. Oblivion is beautiful, but a lot of the NPCs are bland, sometimes repeating conversations that I heard next door. I surprisingly didn't get bored of GTA3, but it did take me a long time to get into. I started off and was overwhelmed and let it go for a few months, and then came back to beat the game. The world of GTA3:SA is more unique than Oblivion's (at least, the areas within are more diverse) so that may play a part in it.
I was quite upset when my PS2 broke and I could no longer play GTA:SA, but it was coming to the point when the world was no longer big enough for me, but whenever I came to the point of getting bored I'd manage to somehow get lost in the place I knew so well... I miss flying a harrier through those canyons and arches... I might get a new PS2
EmreBFG
Team Manager

Post by EmreBFG » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:55 pm

Disto wrote:I was quite upset when my PS2 broke and I could no longer play GTA:SA, but it was coming to the point when the world was no longer big enough for me, but whenever I came to the point of getting bored I'd manage to somehow get lost in the place I knew so well... I miss flying a harrier through those canyons and arches... I might get a new PS2
I know what you mean. Near the end, when I could just fly anywhere, I felt like I ruled the place, that it was not enough for me. But it was always a blast to take it back a notch and just motorcycle through the land, which I can waste an hour doing any day. Once I figured out how to use the harrier, that certainly opened up some exciting doors!
Disto

Post by Disto » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:08 am

emrebfg wrote:
Disto wrote:I was quite upset when my PS2 broke and I could no longer play GTA:SA, but it was coming to the point when the world was no longer big enough for me, but whenever I came to the point of getting bored I'd manage to somehow get lost in the place I knew so well... I miss flying a harrier through those canyons and arches... I might get a new PS2
I know what you mean. Near the end, when I could just fly anywhere, I felt like I ruled the place, that it was not enough for me. But it was always a blast to take it back a notch and just motorcycle through the land, which I can waste an hour doing any day. Once I figured out how to use the harrier, that certainly opened up some exciting doors!
If you can get gold in flight school you can get the apache, and then :devil: you can do police missions, you get to stop people with rockets :D.
Disto

Post by Disto » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:27 pm

:BUMP:

There is a second Infinity Combat Prototype coming out very soon.

Extremely shiny and will get better as more features are added over time but don't expect any *major* graphical changes in the combat prototype now.

The requirements haven't really changed as far as Software specs are because of some optimisations.

Now the arena gameplay consists of 2 sides with 5(?) controlled capital ships (relatively smart ai) going head to head against each other. The capital ships now move and mining has been intergrated if you are really low on points and want to buy a bigger ship.

Now some eye-candy, only of 1 ship though which is at the moment my favourite model.

[img:1600:1200]http://moddb.com/images/cache/mods/63/6 ... _51703.jpg[/img]
[img:1395:1041]http://moddb.com/images/cache/mods/63/6 ... _51208.jpg[/img]
EmreBFG
Team Manager

Post by EmreBFG » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:49 pm

Sweet, thanks Disto. I'm really looking forward to playing this game some more.
Disto

Post by Disto » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:50 am

EmreBFG wrote:Sweet, thanks Disto. I'm really looking forward to playing this game some more.
I still lurk around sometimes :)

and in any case I thought that it was polite as you got me into that I posted it back here again.
Disto

Post by Disto » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:42 pm

Hey, back again, with the imminent release of the public ICP 2.1 I decided to post some screenshots here. It's meant to be released tonight but I think it may be delayed till tomorrow. Some very nice screenshots have come from the semi-public beta leading up to this release of the prototype. Heres one of my favourite.

[img:1440:900]http://www.fl-tw.com/Contribs/SpaceDonk ... _2.1_5.jpg[/img]

And some more of the community screenshots are here (more will be added as time goes past.

http://www.fl-tw.com/Contribs/SpaceDonki/ScreenPage/

Also it'd be daft of me not to post the ModDB page, especially so you can vote for it ;P. It does have some extra, very nice, art. Kudos to Koshime our concept artist for his concepts.

http://mods.moddb.com/6313/infinity-the ... for-earth/

Quite a impressive game for a sole programmer to program by himself :).

edit: If the public release doesn't appear very soon then you can pop onto their IRC channel on quakenet, #InfinityGame, and you'll be able to get the files for it from their but be ware you'll have to update it soon. But the chances are it'll be me who has to tell you because most people are lazy...
EmreBFG
Team Manager

Post by EmreBFG » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:21 pm

Wow, looks great as usual, thanks Disto. I may pop into the IRC channel later tonight.
Disto

Post by Disto » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:21 am

EmreBFG wrote:Wow, looks great as usual, thanks Disto. I may pop into the IRC channel later tonight.
2.1 is out, I'll see you there ;)