OnGameDev Group Project

Share your own game ideas, inform the community about your own works in progress, or appraise of other yet-to-be released games.

Moderator: Staff

Nimbrush

OnGameDev Group Project

Post by Nimbrush » Thu May 12, 2005 2:55 am

Yeah, it's another forum that I usually hang around in. Anyways, several members are concentrating on making a simple 2D sidescroller game using a combination of VB and C++. (Don't ask me how that works--I'm just an aritst. *grin*) In our spare time, of course.

Here's a wee bit more from the official design document:

Name: Out of Phase Saga (OOPS)
Genre: 2D Platform
Theme: Futuristic and Light, with humor mixed in, if possible. This should be a game that is just plain addictive, a neo-classic that people can fall in love with.
Graphics: Bright and vibrant, we’re going to be using pixel-based tiles. Normal tile size is 32x32. Sprite size can range from 32x32 to 64x64, going by factors of 32x32. Transparency, a pink color. Special effects, such as a sword slash or a sudden strike of lightning, come in later after a successful testing of the 1 level alpha.
Programming: C++ is in lead as the programmer's language of choice.
Sounds: Still need to discuss (more on), BGM can be techno-ish.

Gameplay
Simple, clean and fun, easily fast-paced. The basic’s is this: primary weapon is a sword for close combat, with a projectile weapon as backup. All other weapons – grappling hook, EMP, napalm, anti-particle blasters are secondary and optional, and are not necessary for passing the level but to enhance gameplay and reach out-of-the-way, bonus areas.
The basic setup of health: health points, maximum of 100% with varying amounts of damage done by the enemy, healing items to boost that health back up to full strength where needed; simple subtraction and addition. For the first level, we should concentrate on getting the basics in, then do the refining and addition of secondary systems.
The “friendly” race of Honiki have offered Nimbru a way back to his planet. To get home, Nimbru must collect five pieces of a Kirken captain’s starlog – it’s like a journal – so that he can track down the location of his planet. (This can also be used to advance the plot) Aside from that, he could also collect a variety of spare parts that give different amounts of points. These he can use to gain extra lives and special upgrades and boosts.

The site: http://gamedev.onrpg.com/index.php?showforum=38
~{Nimbrush}~::~{Lurker}~::~{On/Off Switch}~
Balthazar
Former Staff

Post by Balthazar » Fri May 13, 2005 1:27 am

ugh, VB.  Stay away from it if you can.
"Homogenized?  No way, I like the ladies."
60 Tauren Shaman
31 Orc Warrior
21 Tauren Druid
18 Night Elf Hunter
12 Orc Warlock
Other various abandoned alts.
Loodwig
Musician

Post by Loodwig » Sat May 28, 2005 9:04 am

Not a big fan of VB, but the idea sounds neat.  I'm checking it out now... let's hope it doesn't destroy 2 weeks of my time like Wesnoth did. ( .... lousy fun to play game).
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Sat May 28, 2005 5:44 pm

I remember reading a month ago or so that Microsoft is actually dropping support for VB...
Classic_gamer

Post by Classic_gamer » Sat May 28, 2005 6:33 pm

Roots wrote:I remember reading a month ago or so that Microsoft is actually dropping support for VB...

As much as I would like to think that, it's not true. I have Visual Studio 2005 .NET BETA 1, and there is still VB .NET in that. Plus, everyone and thier grandmother knows VB (well... Not everyone, I don't know VB), so MS is still getting money from it.
Roots
Dictator

Post by Roots » Sat May 28, 2005 7:07 pm

Classic_gamer wrote:
Roots wrote:I remember reading a month ago or so that Microsoft is actually dropping support for VB...

As much as I would like to think that, it's not true. I have Visual Studio 2005 .NET BETA 1, and there is still VB .NET in that. Plus, everyone and thier grandmother knows VB (well... Not everyone, I don't know VB), so MS is still getting money from it.

Touche.
Classic_gamer

Post by Classic_gamer » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:30 am

Roots wrote:
Classic_gamer wrote:

Touche.

Ahh. I see. VB6 is getting the finger, but VB .NET is still being developed.

P.S.

Thanks for that site. I've never heard of it before.