Prescion

Share your own game ideas, inform the community about your own works in progress, or appraise of other yet-to-be released games.

Moderator: Staff

Loodwig
Musician

Prescion

Postby Loodwig » Tue May 10, 2005 10:57 am

There's a game I'm working on right now, that I started as a means of advertising my own music... and inadvertantly was how I discovered HoA.

The game is Prescion. The story is about a guy, Felstar, who falls in love with his best friend's ex, joins the military before all hell breaks loose, becomes a revolutionary to free slaves, gains the power to alter reality with his mind, and goes insane before his country is overrun by the enemy.  It goes on beyond there about the definition and origination of the soul, the wretchedness of good and virtue of evil, and how right can triumph even in impossible odds, despite having to triumph in a post apocalyptic wake. Add to this the in depth lives of a dozen or so NPCs, roughly 70 main plot quests, hundreds of sidequests, 5 nations, 37 cities, aliens, demons, robots, seraphs, terrorists, cultists, enraged despots, zealous monarchs, and a super computer with a god complex.

It's an RPG with a Turn Based Strategic combat (similar to Final Fantasy Tactics) that I'm more or less doing all by myself.  I'm coding it in C++ and SDL (having just started to really learn C++ and SDL), and I plan on doing the game scripts in LUA.  I hope to be done with the C++ portion by the end of summer, and then have much of the LUA completed by the end of the year.  I'm really falling short on artistic content, and I've planned already for way too much music.

But it's really fun :)

If you wanna help out, let me know.  Currently there are about a dozen or so friends helping me out.  I wish I could say it was for profit, but heh.

At least the name gets out there.
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue May 10, 2005 2:34 pm

Do you have a website for it? :angel: Also feel free to take a look at and/or use the Allacrost code if it helps you out. It's GPL after all. :)
Loodwig
Musician

Postby Loodwig » Tue May 10, 2005 9:01 pm

:!:  :!: w00t.  Unfortunatly, no, I don't have a website for it... I should make one though.

Cause, the biggest criticism I get for my game is "dude, it's not even openGL... no one is going to play it.  They'd rather play final fantasy 2, and you don't have the know with all and what not to make it anything decent.  Plus your artistic chops suck."

Then I look at Allacrost.  And I think "you know, I'm going to end up playing this game when its finished."

Not to mention the fact that working on my own game will look great on a resume "wait, you're telling me you are a dedicated composer, and you learned how to code as a hobby, united a small team to develop a project... bla bla bla bla"

And if not, it'd be fun to just make it :)
Roots
Dictator

Postby Roots » Tue May 10, 2005 9:26 pm

Loodwig wrote::!:  :!: w00t.  Unfortunatly, no, I don't have a website for it... I should make one though.

Cause, the biggest criticism I get for my game is "dude, it's not even openGL... no one is going to play it.  They'd rather play final fantasy 2, and you don't have the know with all and what not to make it anything decent.  Plus your artistic chops suck."

Then I look at Allacrost.  And I think "you know, I'm going to end up playing this game when its finished."

Not to mention the fact that working on my own game will look great on a resume "wait, you're telling me you are a dedicated composer, and you learned how to code as a hobby, united a small team to develop a project... bla bla bla bla"

And if not, it'd be fun to just make it :)

Allacrost wasn't OpenGL either originally. Then we decided that even though we didn't want to take the game fully 3D, using OpenGL allowed us to better utilize the user's hardware, gave us more flexibility for what we could include in the game, etc. I think the primary reason we migrated to it at the time though was because it was much easier to support multiple screen resolutions. And just because you don't use OpenGL doesn't mean no one will play it! Battle for Wesnoth doesn't use it, and yet it's one of the most popular free and open-source games out there.

And I know what you mean about the resume builder (although when I started this project I had no idea that it was going to look that good). During the six interviews I had for my current job I mentioned Allacrost in 4 or 5 of them, and once I did those interviewers ended up asking a lot of questions about the project and showed an incredibly strong interest. It was fun to talk about it :)
Loodwig
Musician

Postby Loodwig » Tue May 10, 2005 9:45 pm

sweet.  I'm almost thinking I should showcase "Prescion" over my earlier works.  I mean, who cares what I was writing when I was 9... I sound slightly more mature in my writing now!  :bang:

I may also shift my aim from private from private to gpl... because it would welcome a higher quality of code development.  What do you think?
Balthazar
Former Staff

Postby Balthazar » Wed May 11, 2005 4:36 am

Before you go and pick a license, take some time and research the options that are out there.  GPL is a good license, but it's also got a serious hook attached to it.  That being said, the more code in the pool the better, but find a license that works for you, and the goals that you have for the project.
"Homogenized?  No way, I like the ladies."
60 Tauren Shaman
31 Orc Warrior
21 Tauren Druid
18 Night Elf Hunter
12 Orc Warlock
Other various abandoned alts.
turin

Postby turin » Wed May 11, 2005 1:54 pm

Balthazar wrote:Before you go and pick a license, take some time and research the options that are out there.  GPL is a good license, but it's also got a serious hook attached to it.  That being said, the more code in the pool the better, but find a license that works for you, and the goals that you have for the project.

Yeah. One system a lot of projects seem to use is GPLed code, and normal copyrighted graphics, sound and storyline. I guess that gets the best of both worlds, you don't scare off artists who don't want people stealing their stuff, and you don't scare off coders who want people stealing their stuff. :)
I am Turin Turambar, Master of Doom, by Doom Mastered.
Also a general meddler at the Wesnoth forums.
Loodwig
Musician

Postby Loodwig » Sat May 28, 2005 9:02 am

Ok, I have something on the web!

check it out at http://www.loodwig.com/prescion/index.php

It bears a striking resemblance to HoA's site... so hooray for originality.

Anyway, I'm going to throw some more things up there as I go, except I start full time school (I'm gonna be an Engineer... or at least a Fungineer) next week.

I'm in desparate need of help on this, especially programers and artists.  Feedback is really appreciated, as I'm going to start working on the overall design of the thing.

Advice would be appreciated too :)
Classic_gamer

Postby Classic_gamer » Sat May 28, 2005 9:26 am

Hey... Umm.... I tried to register for the forum and I got this message:

Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : Error

Line : 234
File : emailer.php

So now Classic_gamer is taken, but I don't think I'll get a confirmation email. :(
Loodwig
Musician

Postby Loodwig » Sat May 28, 2005 9:41 am

this is what I get for using free hosting on some guys iis server...

I'm tempted to just start using my own linux box and doing this whole thing right.

Grr...

yeah, I don't know how to get it to send a confirmation email, but I confirmed it already.
Loodwig
Musician

Postby Loodwig » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:16 am

yay, I'm back online!

http://www.loodwig.org/prescion
"We want a simpler and more melodic style for music, a simple, less complicated emotional state, and dissonance again relegated to its proper place as one element of music..."
~Sergei Prokofiev

Return to “Other Game Development”